First time down the drag strip! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

First time down the drag strip!

Took my 13 GT auto down the strip for the first time. It was actually my first time racing at the strip ever. My only mods are a JLT oil separator and some front splash guards. It has the stock tune. Weather was about 60, not sure about the humidity, the strip was VMP in Petersburg, VA. I was running 93 octane, I didn't check the tire pressure. My car has about 2500 miles, It got an oil change about 200 miles ago and it has Mobil 1 5w20 in it. The runs were done with TC off and Advancetrac in Sport mode, transmission was also in Sport. I was pretty pleased with the time, especially since I've never raced before. Here's my slip. I did 3 runs and this was my best, my best mph was 109. My 2 other ET's were 13.2. I must say it was a ton of fun, worth every bit of the price of admission!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timeslip.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	167551  

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012
Grimace427

Prepare for the mod bug's bite.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

These cars are definitely impressive! My best so far was 12.85 @ 110.4 bone stock, leaving the tree at idle and 200 pounds of crap in the trunk. I feel with a little track practice, an empty trunk, and leaving the tree with some higher rpms I will be mid 12's bone stock!

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Congrats!! Car ran well!!

I was there yesterday with my son (FoolnYa). He was running his '12 3.7 V6 Mustang. I was right at the starting line for each of your runs. I will see if my other son got any videos of your runs. According to my Kestrel 4000 weather meter the DA was great all day. It went from about 200-300 above during the early afternoon to about 200 feet below in the last hour or so.

Just for comparison there was a new black SRT8 Charger with the 392 Hemi (470 HP) there yesterday that had 30 day tags on it. It looked and sounded stock and looked like a lady was driving it. I saw it make two passes and it ran like a 12.61 and 12.63 at a little over 110 MPH's.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

DA will play a major role at the track. Your 60' doesn't look too bad at all for the first time. If modding is not your thing just yet, throw on some drags and get the launching down just right. You should see some amazing numbers with your A6.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012
PONY Member

Nice runs.

If you get that 60 down a little bit, you will see a very high 12.

2013 Mustang GT - 402A GT/CS - 6R80 - Glass Roof - Engine Block Heater - SGM Exterior - CB/Miko Interior

Steeda Adjustable PHB (Street) and Steeda PH Brace, Stainless Works Retro Catback Exhaust...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28th1s View Post
Congrats!! Car ran well!!

I was there yesterday with my son (FoolnYa). He was running his '12 3.7 V6 Mustang. I was right at the starting line for each of your runs. I will see if my other son got any videos of your runs. According to my Kestrel 4000 weather meter the DA was great all day. It went from about 200-300 above during the early afternoon to about 200 feet below in the last hour or so.

Just for comparison there was a new black SRT8 Charger with the 392 Hemi (470 HP) there yesterday that had 30 day tags on it. It looked and sounded stock and looked like a lady was driving it. I saw it make two passes and it ran like a 12.61 and 12.63 at a little over 110 MPH's.
Thanks! I saw you guys. He has the 3.7 badge on his fender I think. Nice looking ride. If he posts any videos on you tube please send me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
DA will play a major role at the track. Your 60' doesn't look too bad at all for the first time. If modding is not your thing just yet, throw on some drags and get the launching down just right. You should see some amazing numbers with your A6.
Thanks man. I think some Weld rims and drag radials might be a smart choice since I don't want to void my warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Prepare for the mod bug's bite.
It's tough but making that monthly payment makes it easier to not spend more on mods. With my foxbody, the initial price was so cheap it was so easy to throw a few hundred at it here and there for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
Nice runs.

If you get that 60 down a little bit, you will see a very high 12.
Yeah I was thinking about power braking it a little at the line to launch harder. I was just leaving off idle and flooring it. I don't think there was any wheelspin, if there was any I couldn't tell.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Thanks! I saw you guys. He has the 3.7 badge on his fender I think. Nice looking ride. If he posts any videos on you tube please send me the link.

Thanks man. I think some Weld rims and drag radials might be a smart choice since I don't want to void my warranty.

It's tough but making that monthly payment makes it easier to not spend more on mods. With my foxbody, the initial price was so cheap it was so easy to throw a few hundred at it here and there for fun.

Yeah I was thinking about power braking it a little at the line to launch harder. I was just leaving off idle and flooring it. I don't think there was any wheelspin, if there was any I couldn't tell.
Thanks, yes that was us. When my son gets finished with the videos I will check and see if there are any of your car and will sent it to you.

Here is a pic I took of my son's car launching. His best pass was a 13.35 at 103.78 MPH, his personal best was a 13.30 earlier this year.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks, yes that was us. When my son gets finished with the videos I will check and see if there are any of your car and will sent it to you.

Here is a pic I took of my son's car launching. His best pass was a 13.35 at 103.78 MPH, his personal best was a 13.30 earlier this year.

Man he is definitely planting those tires! Those are some nice times. Tough to beat running low 13's and getting 30mpg on the trip to/from the track.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
Man he is definitely planting those tires! Those are some nice times. Tough to beat running low 13's and getting 30mpg on the trip to/from the track.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Thanks!! Yes, the new 3.7's make for a nice DD package that you can have some fun on the weekends with!! IIRC his 60 foot was a 1.77 on this pass.
GT Member

Here you go, this will help....
Drag racing tips - YouTube

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Thanks!! Yes, the new 3.7's make for a nice DD package that you can have some fun on the weekends with!! IIRC his 60 foot was a 1.77 on this pass.

Great pic Greg. And, a 1.77 60 ft. time is awesome! Happy holidays to you and your Mustang family. Hope to see you either at Dinwiddie or MIR next year.
DL

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Fountain View Post
Great pic Greg. And, a 1.77 60 ft. time is awesome! Happy holidays to you and your Mustang family. Hope to see you either at Dinwiddie or MIR next year.
DL

Thanks Danny and same to you and your family!! If the weather holds out and I can get off work this Saturday (12/8) I'm going to the last test and tune at VMP. I'm sure we will hit either VMP or MIR early next year while the air is still cool and crisp!
Banned
V6 Member
S197 Member

The car looked great going down the track op! Im on my phone now but when i get home ill post the vid. I think i got 2 of your passes on there.
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolnYa View Post
The car looked great going down the track op! Im on my phone now but when i get home ill post the vid. I think i got 2 of your passes on there.
Here is the video that my son was talking about.

Day at The Track-Virginia Motorsports Park 12-1-12 - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page