What race helmet do you wear and recommend? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
This was the cheapest SA2010 helmet they had on Summit. Feels good on. Gets the job done. It was $149.

Racequip 252113 - RaceQuip SA2010 Open Face Helmets
Sometimes you can get lightly used Racequip helmets from Amazon retailers at about half price. Two weeks ago I bought an open face Snell 2010 model for like $75. It looks almost new (little bit of dust/dirt in the lining). But now it looks like they are sold out.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
Do you think this helmet would last me a good 5-8 years or so? Do you have any sort of complaints with the helmet, even the littlest one? I was previously thinking about getting white since with the dark smoke visor it would match my car in a way, but I've been considering getting the black to match my rims and a blacked out look is pretty sweet anyway. Just not sure about it being rubber.. Not sure why they didnt make it glossy black but for a helmet like that, I'd get over it fairly quickly.

Any little problems with it? I just want to get an idea of these helmets and know for the most part, what to expect.
i am not worried about longevity since the lining and pads are fully removable and easily replaced. Also being a SA2010 certified helmet, you are not likely be refused at any event, not because of your helmet at least.

I bought my HJC helmet in white because it was cheaper then the black one. But that black helmet is beautiful. My helmet matches my Perf White V6 though :-)

So no complaints, no issues. That helmet gets more confortable everytime i wear it. And since it is SA2010 certified, it can also be used for karting, car with a roll bar or a motorcycle, most motorized sports.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASE 17 sept - pret a partir.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	167714  

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
BOSS Member

Cheapest I've found for a new Snell/DOT was $39.95 if you need an XXL.

Yes, it's an M2010, but depending on what type of racing/sanctioning body...

GT Member

We see a lot of students cheaping out and buying a motorcycle helmet for automobile track duty.

One thing you need to remember is that helmets are designed differently, as in, a motorcycle helmet isn't designed to take the same impact in the same location over and over; we are bouncing down the highway after we crash.

Whereas, on the track.. in a car... a car helmet is designed to take an impact in the same location more than once, if you are strapped in yor car correctly. They are more expensive for this reason.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "so how much is your head worth", as some say... but it is something to think about....

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoins View Post
This was the cheapest SA2010 helmet they had on Summit. Feels good on. Gets the job done. It was $149.

Racequip 252113 - RaceQuip SA2010 Open Face Helmets

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I could buy that right now if it wasnt for my paranoia. I LOVE the price, but I just wish I could find a full face helmet for that price. But like you said, it gets the job done and it's SA approved and that's what matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulozzz View Post
I bought my HJC helmet in white because it was cheaper then the black one. But that black helmet is beautiful. My helmet matches my Perf White V6 though :-)

So no complaints, no issues. That helmet gets more confortable everytime i wear it. And since it is SA2010 certified, it can also be used for karting, car with a roll bar or a motorcycle, most motorized sports.
Nice to hear a opinionated review about it (as well as a picture), thank you! And I agree, the black helmet really does look fantastic. I can only imagine it with the smoked visor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
One thing you need to remember is that helmets are designed differently, as in, a motorcycle helmet isn't designed to take the same impact in the same location over and over; we are bouncing down the highway after we crash.

Whereas, on the track.. in a car... a car helmet is designed to take an impact in the same location more than once, if you are strapped in yor car correctly. They are more expensive for this reason.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "so how much is your head worth", as some say... but it is something to think about....
Hmm, I didnt know that, now it makes a lot more sense on why it costs so much more (besides being fire resistant). I'm glad I knew that before I let my friend convince me into getting a motorcycle helmet in the meanwhile! I dont want to dish out extra money anyway for a helmet that I dont intend to use for long or would give me issues at the track regarding if I can use it.

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
BOSS Member

The M2010 are tested against flat surfaces like you'd encounter in a motorcycle accident. The SA2010 are tested against things your head might impact in a car like pillars, windshield, roll bars. To meet the helmet requirement for a 13 second drag car or for karting, I'd have no qualms about using my M2010 helmet. If I were driving a road course or running 10s, I would definitely invest in the best helmet I can get.
PONY Member
S197 Member

RoushYates Racing have Impact Helmets at 10% off

B

2011 GT Preminum, Red Candy Metallic, 4.10, Electronics, Rear View, Comfort, Security, Borla, 20" Saleen, FRPP springs, CS front valance w/fogs, Roush billet grille, Roush TVS 625hp, Kooks LT's and Catted H Pipe, Tremec Magumn XL, McLeod RXT, AutoMeter Gauges, Dynotech DS, Steeda adjustable UCA, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCA's, Steeda A/O Separator, Tokico D-Specs, Raptor Shift Light, engine by Shrader Performance, Tune by ProDyno, 643rwhp, 548lb/ft tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page