What race helmet do you wear and recommend? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

What race helmet do you wear and recommend?

Long story short, I went auto crossing yesterday and I really liked it, and plan to do it more. I also plan to drag race when I go to college since there's a drag strip around there. They're building one around here supposedly, but who knows if I'll have graduated high school by the time they finish it.

Anyways, I started looking for a helmet and saw relatively cheap helmets until I realized they were M class helmets and not SA class, then I found the actual prices of the SA helmets. I was worried about price until I thought "how much is my head worth" and decided that I could save up a little money for a good helmet to last me a few years.

I was checking out some pretty sweet looking helmets like the Simpson Bandit and the Bell Vador, but those would be out of my price range. I like the HJC Motorsports AR-10 II helmet so far. It's $300, looks very nice, weighs around 3-4 lbs, I've seen pretty good reviews and it can also replace the visor with a replaceable dark smoke visor. My eyes are a little too sensitive in the sun, and I had to wear a dark visor when I used to play football and it helped a good bit, so I have a feeling that it might help whenever the sun is in my eyes, and I can always lift the visor up if I don't need it (which is better than my football visor since it sucked at night).

Well I got off topic, my bad. Anyway, what helmet do you wear, and would you recommend that helmet?

Here's the link to the helmet I've been checking out.
http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/hjc...et-review.html

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That good ol' red (Boss 302), white (GT/CS) and blue (5.0)!
2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
MACH I Member

If you can get to a neaby shop to try them on, I would suggest that. You want snug, more sung than you would think and get a helmet in that size. The pads will form to your head.

Aside from meeting the newest Snell standard, the Snell year approved is the #1 thing to look for. Make sure you get a newer one, otherwise you may be looking for a new helmet in a few years.

I am using a motorsports helmet since I do AutoX and road courses. They are a little more $$ but they are designed for the sport I am participating in! SA/K2010 is the most recent one for motorsports helmets.

You don't need to spend all that $$ on a helmet though. If you plan on just doing AutoX, getting a DOT/Snell approved helmet is just fine

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Rookie

Bell and HJC make decent helmets at a good price point. Unless your car is a convertible - you can get away with an open face. But I know alot of guys prefer the full face protection - just in case. most cases the visor will be up for ventilation though.

I'm using a Bell Sport series. for me it was important to get a SA2010 rated helmet. the Club i joined had a 1 yr grace peroid where you can still use 2005 but I wanted to get something up to date so I wouldn't have to buy a new one in 1-2 yrs time.

I know 1 or 2 guys that get away with a motorcycle dirt bike helmet, but this will depend on your local club/track rules.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
MACH I Member

That HJC should definitely do the trick! Just got to find the right size you need now.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Apprentice

I use ICON, but I also use it when I ride the bike.

2012 Black GT, 3.73 gears, Vortech kit, JLT intake, Lethal xpipe, JMS BAP, GT500 axel backs, MGW shifter
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
If you can get to a neaby shop to try them on, I would suggest that. You want snug, more sung than you would think and get a helmet in that size. The pads will form to your head.

Aside from meeting the newest Snell standard, the Snell year approved is the #1 thing to look for. Make sure you get a newer one, otherwise you may be looking for a new helmet in a few years.
I was checking out an SA2005, but didnt think spending $500 on a helmet that wouldnt be acceptable in a few years or so would be a good idea.

The thing is I dont know where to find the helmets.. I dont really know what stores/shops would have them. I searched almost everything I can think of to hopefully find a place around here that sells them, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user7 View Post
Bell and HJC make decent helmets at a good price point. Unless your car is a convertible - you can get away with an open face. But I know alot of guys prefer the full face protection - just in case. most cases the visor will be up for ventilation though.

I'm using a Bell Sport series. for me it was important to get a SA2010 rated helmet. the Club i joined had a 1 yr grace peroid where you can still use 2005 but I wanted to get something up to date so I wouldn't have to buy a new one in 1-2 yrs time.
Agreed, I'd like to go with the full face protection helmet just in case (and in case the sun gets in my eyes, another reason I'm trying to find a helmet that can replace the regular visor or a dark smoke one). For some helmets, like some of Bells that I saw, they looked pretty identical to me except a few, an example being the vador helmet. They still seem like good helmets to me though, I suppose I could trust them since I wore Bell bicycle helmets when I was younger. :nogrinner

Do you have any fitment issues with the Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2VipeRS View Post
That HJC should definitely do the trick! Just got to find the right size you need now.
I'm sure I wear a large helmet because I tried on my friend's HJC helmet and it seemed to fit pretty well. The exterior seemed a bit big but then again, it is a large and even when I used to play football my helmet was a large. I'm sure I'll buy a helmet online, but just finding a place that has them so I can try them.. Would be fantastic.

2008 Mustang GT/CS: 5 speed | FRPP 4.10 Gears | Bama 93H Tune | Magnaflow Magnapacks | Bassani O/R X Pipe | Airaid CAI | MGW | J&M LCAs | Saleens 19x8.5
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Apprentice

kinda off topic but have you heard of NOLA motorsports park in avondale? Check the calendar on their website cuz they do drag days occasionally and they say the more people show interest in them the more often they'll have them.

And check out the lakefront sunday morning/afternoons on lakeshore drive, there's normally a nice little gathering of awesome cars and the frostops on clearview has a classic car show on the first friday of every month.

Oh and if you do find a place around here to get a decent helmet, please let me know!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
kinda off topic but have you heard of NOLA motorsports park in avondale? Check the calendar on their website cuz they do drag days occasionally and they say the more people show interest in them the more often they'll have them.

And check out the lakefront sunday morning/afternoons on lakeshore drive, there's normally a nice little gathering of awesome cars and the frostops on clearview has a classic car show on the first friday of every month.

Oh and if you do find a place around here to get a decent helmet, please let me know!
Of course I have, that's where I did auto cross yesterday!

And I was also out on the lakefront yesterday evening too.. Small world huh?

I'll have to pass by Clearview on Friday if I'm ever off on the first Friday of the month.

I'll check their website right now, I'd love to have a drag day!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
GT Member

I wear the Bell BA SPORT MAG. I drove 300 miles on a road-course last summer, in a couple of days, and it was very comfortable, not too heavy, and provided good vision.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

i have been using the AR-10 II SA2010 Helmet since august 2011 and just love it. Paid $300cdn for it. I wanted to spend around $200, but after trying a few helmets on my big head, i found the sweet spot with the HJC. I think it is worth every penny. You can remove the lining to clean it and HJC even sells replacement parts. This is not a cheap helmet. I got mine in white, the black one cost extra.

I got my helmet from a performance & racing shop. I would suggest that you do not order online unless you have already tested the helmet you are buying because we all have different heads and needs.

Canadian 2012 V6, MT, Perf.White Pony Package (3.31 gears). Koni Sport Shocks & Struts. Steeda Sport Springs w/HD Mounts, Route 66 SpeedShop 55D rear spring kit. Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace. BMR Adj PHB. BFG G-Force Sport Comp2. Pioneer TS-D6802R Front SPeakers, Clarion 80W/Ch Amp. JL Audio 8 Inch Sub And 175W Amp. GT500 Steering Wheel. 2012+ Tilting Headrests
Apprentice
S197 Member

This is the one I went for. Pretty happy with it so far.

G-FORCE Pro Eliminator Helmets 3023LRGBK - SummitRacing.com

2013 Track Pack GT
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I wear the Bell BA SPORT MAG. I drove 300 miles on a road-course last summer, in a couple of days, and it was very comfortable, not too heavy, and provided good vision.
Did you buy yours online or at a shop? Any downsides of the Bell BA Sport Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulozzz View Post
i have been using the AR-10 II SA2010 Helmet since august 2011 and just love it. Paid $300cdn for it. I wanted to spend around $200, but after trying a few helmets on my big head, i found the sweet spot with the HJC. I think it is worth every penny. You can remove the lining to clean it and HJC even sells replacement parts. This is not a cheap helmet. I got mine in white, the black one cost extra.

I got my helmet from a performance & racing shop. I would suggest that you do not order online unless you have already tested the helmet you are buying because we all have different heads and needs.
Do you think this helmet would last me a good 5-8 years or so? Do you have any sort of complaints with the helmet, even the littlest one? I was previously thinking about getting white since with the dark smoke visor it would match my car in a way, but I've been considering getting the black to match my rims and a blacked out look is pretty sweet anyway. Just not sure about it being rubber.. Not sure why they didnt make it glossy black but for a helmet like that, I'd get over it fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
This is the one I went for. Pretty happy with it so far.

G-FORCE Pro Eliminator Helmets 3023LRGBK - SummitRacing.com
Any little problems with it? I just want to get an idea of these helmets and know for the most part, what to expect.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
Any little problems with it? I just want to get an idea of these helmets and know for the most part, what to expect.
Not really. It does it's job and came with a nice little protective bag. So, no complaints. I'm kinda glad I went with a better helmet. I went with one of the cheaper ones last time, which worked out fairly well. But, I eventually found out it wasn't fire resistant and that was one of the big drivers for me switching over.

2013 Track Pack GT
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
Did you buy yours online or at a shop? Any downsides of the Bell BA Sport Mag?
I bought it at a local shop. I really wanted to try on several different helmets from different manufacturers to see how they fit and how they felt when turning your head. I tried on 8 or 10 helmets in the process. I think it is a little like "buying shoes." They may look good on someone else, but not feel good on your feet

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

This was the cheapest SA2010 helmet they had on Summit. Feels good on. Gets the job done. It was $149.

Racequip 252113 - RaceQuip SA2010 Open Face Helmets

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page