Another chip in the DS InTune pile (review + Airaid CAI) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Another chip in the DS InTune pile (review + Airaid CAI)

I am posting this in general because a lot of folks are wondering about the InTune from Diablosport (which I installed with my Airaid CAI on Saturday). I got both of these from Autoanything for $509 shipped. A steal to say the least.

Airaid CAI Install impressions: I am hardly an advanced mechanic, but not a novice either, I have installed an entire front mounted intercooler setup and fuel upgrades in my driveway (just to give you a guage of my skill level). The directions for the Airaid CAI kit were probably among the best I have seen for a bolt on piece. No "find xxx part and remove" sort of directions. Plenty of detail and pictures. Most of the assembly for this kit can be assembled before you even pop the hood with basic tools. Just make sure you have a torx set handy. Took me about 30 mins to install, with the only hang up being the coupler going on to the throttle body (use some lube and another set of hands if you can get them) and making sure the air inlet was lined up. Otherwise pretty straightforward. I am rather impressed though that they had enough sense to include a good piece of weatherstripping with the kit so that it seals (with me it is the little things that make a kit more quality in my mind). After the install, I fired up the engine (before I installed the InTune) to make sure everything was functioning normally. Sounds a lot more growly than before. Stepping on the throttle produces a noticable whistle (almost turbo spool-esque) noise. So far so good.

Diablosport InTune: To be honest I was a bit befuddled when I opened the box and tried to turn the thing on. Where was the power button? Well it didn't take me too long to realize this unit is completely powered by whatever cable you have it plugged in with (just thought you guys would find that funny) . Plugging it in to the computer instantly got the unit into the update process. I did get several onscreen warning from Windows 7 that there were no drivers, yada yada yada Admin mode yada yada, ignore them. The unit still updated itself no problems, it did take a while though about 25mins or so. After that it asked me to register the unit with the vehicle. Had to select 2012 (2013 not on there) but I doubt it mattered. Once the Airaid was installed and I ran the car a bit, I plugged the unit (which looks like a small Ipod) into the OBD2 port and selected the tune option. One thing that I do like about this unit is that the interface is pretty idiot proof, and so is tuning. You just follow the prompts and adjust or answer whatever question it asks. I just installed the canned 93 octane with no adjustments, but there are plenty of things to adjust if you are so inclined. Touch screen wasn't the most precise but plenty usable. After about 15-20mins and about a half dozen ignition key cycles, it was ready to roll. And now the fun part.

Driving impressions: Money well spent. The combo has a NOTICEABLE increase in the power band of the motor. Out of powerband I can't say I honestly felt a difference (mind you this is the non adjusted stock 93 octane tune) and this isn't scientific, just butt dyno. The sound, oh the sound! Glorious. I referred to this car as my growly fun-mobile after getting out on the road with this thing. The vehicle felt so much more lively. Some had suggested that they felt the throttle was a bit more touchy after installing the tune, I honestly didn't feel much change in throttle response time, just simply in the amount of power when you put your foot down, and the engine sounds noticably more...beefy, even my girlfriend, who isn't a car person noticed when we went out to dinner Saturday (and I wasn't even really getting on it). Hopefully some time soon I will have some dyno numbers to show for it. But the sound of the Airaid alone was worth the money (debate still abounds if the CAI produces any noticable HP gains by itself), the tune DEFFINATELY worth it. I like the interface and the easy to use aspect of the InTune. It has plenty to offer when I get more funds to do more to the car. I was originally going to get the JLT CAI unit, but for the price I couldn't pass on the Airaid. No regrets. Fuel MPG was down a bit... I am curious to know if fuel economy on the freeway goes up (per the claims of both units). I drive 100 round trip every day so I will post if anything is noticable on that front when I get some more wheel time. If anything, my money made the car so much more entertaining (not that a 300 HP car was BORING to begin with....). Well worth it.

2013 V6 Base, Manual transmission, 101A (tape stripe delete), in the ultra seductive color known as Deep Impact Blue. Airaid CAI, Diabolosport InTune 93 octane canned tune, 3D Carbon Gt500 spoiler, Roush window louvers, Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks. Proud owner since 08/01/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Apprentice

Solid review!

Let us know how the mpg's are affected on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Mustang GT Premium - Performance White - Track Pack
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL 5.0 View Post
Solid review!

Let us know how the mpg's are affected on the highway.
+1 I'm looking for Xmas presents lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012
Apprentice

Nice review, I purchased the JLT CAI with the Bama tunes on the SCT. I just got an e-mail about the JLT CAIs packaged up with the intune. I read that the Bama tunes will run on the diablosport Intune! I get home to pick up my car and will be installing the setup I bought but was curious about this tuner also. Glad you were happy with the money spent!

2013 Mustang GT Premium Package 400A, 6MT, Grabber Blue, 3.73s, Brembo package, Electronics package

Eibach pro springs, MGW Short shifter, Borla ATAK axlebacks, Magnaflow O/R X pipe, BMR adjustable Panhard bar, J&M lower control arms, SHR black fuel door, JLT oil separator, quarter window louvers, painted Redline hood struts, 20" Forgestar F14s staggered in textured matte black and 15% tint all around!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The JLT was the intake I was originally going to get to be honest, but finances won out on this one. From what I've read though you can't go wrong with either. As for the InTune, I do appreciate that whoever designed the UI seemed to actually put some thought in it. With me, it is the little things

2013 V6 Base, Manual transmission, 101A (tape stripe delete), in the ultra seductive color known as Deep Impact Blue. Airaid CAI, Diabolosport InTune 93 octane canned tune, 3D Carbon Gt500 spoiler, Roush window louvers, Flowmaster Force II Axlebacks. Proud owner since 08/01/2012
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Dan_DiabloSport
Hey csbassplayer200 thanks for the awesome review on the inTune! We really tried to make the inTune as simple as possible for EVERYONE to use. If you thought the updates and install are easy, wait until you try to load a custom tune. Same thing, no interfaces, just drag and drop the tune file. One day you will see!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I agree. Airaid's build is very solid. Almost seem stock. Thick and tight parts. I'm still contemplating on sct(for tuner reason) or diablo. I can definitely get the intune for much cheaper tho.

Op, in the intune tune choice, it didn't have Airaid's specific tune or CAI tune? Did you also remove the mvt?

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
PONY Member

Csbassplayer, thanks for the excellent write-up, it brought back memories that's for sure! Right after I got my '12 vert I installed an Airraid kit and the Bama tune using an SCT I bought from Bama. I remember feeling the same way; I loved my little ole V-6 when it was stock but man oh man, adding a CAI and a Tune was amazing.

Then I upgraded to a MGW shifter and 3.73 gears, satisfaction level went up again!

Bottom line: this 3.7 V-6 is an amazing engine but Ford has used a relatively mild stock tune and once you go custom tune (and a CAI kit) it really wakes up. :yelpleased:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LITER_MUENSTER View Post
I agree. Airaid's build is very solid. Almost seem stock. Thick and tight parts. I'm still contemplating on sct(for tuner reason) or diablo. I can definitely get the intune for much cheaper tho.

Op, in the intune tune choice, it didn't have Airaid's specific tune or CAI tune? Did you also remove the mvt?
If it did have specific option for it, I didn't see it. That was one thing that I looked for initially. I left the pipe as it came from the box because I figured I needed something programmed specific for any change because I know with dealing from other vehicles that it causes problem without being compensated for. Not sure how much of a change specific tuning for a mvt-less Airaid would be without other mods anyways. Once I got more mods I will pursue a more focused tune, but for the moment, the canned tune is just fine

PONY Member

which tuner is better for the 13' v6 auto bama or intune?

13' GT Black, Auto, Roush A/B, Whiteline PHB & Brace, Boss 302 Tower Brace, Michelin PSS, Alpine 10" S Type Sub,
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Depends on what is important to you, the Intune DEVICE is a lot nicer than the SCT tuner, Bama actually will write mod specific tunes for free with that package through AM. The InTune factory tune isn't mod specific really (but works just great in my opinion), but EITHER unit can be tailored to your vehicle with a dyno tune session.

If you have the money, buy the InTune and then sign up for AM's tunes for life, or hold out until AM offers the InTune with Bama tunes. I wouldn't reccomend the SCT based on past reviews.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbassplayer200 View Post
Depends on what is important to you, the Intune DEVICE is a lot nicer than the SCT tuner, Bama actually will write mod specific tunes for free with that package through AM. The InTune factory tune isn't mod specific really (but works just great in my opinion), but EITHER unit can be tailored to your vehicle with a dyno tune session.

If you have the money, buy the InTune and then sign up for AM's tunes for life, or hold out until AM offers the InTune with Bama tunes. I wouldn't reccomend the SCT based on past reviews.
i just want a tuner that will give me the most out of my 13 v6 auto
past review? explain please

13' GT Black, Auto, Roush A/B, Whiteline PHB & Brace, Boss 302 Tower Brace, Michelin PSS, Alpine 10" S Type Sub,
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Google "sct tuner problems" and start reading. Any tuner should be just fine, some have more problems than others. It is a question of do you want touch screen? Do you care about price? What features do you want? The actual programming to maximize performance can be done on any tuner with a competant shop, it is just a question of if you want anything else.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

nice write up cbass!
as per the past SCT problems... It is been heard that SCT tuner would brick the car till you contact SCT

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Update: Went through my first tank, and it seems there might be merit to the "increased MPG" claim on these products. First tank according to the guage was at 28.5mpg (29.5 hand calculated, guage is usually off by .5-1mpg). This is up from 26.5-27.5 that I usually got for the first 6k miles. No driving habit changes (other than a hard romp or two ), about 85% freeway miles to and from work. I will say that I usually used 87 octane and now I'm using 93. (for full disclosure). I wonder if this will hold up. For someone like me who drives 100 miles a day to and from work this actually might actually mean something. Will update after another few tanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page