Trading My C5 for an '11 GT, Getrag MN82 ? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
Then the guys driving the C5's suck.

I owned a C5, stock for stock a V6 Mustang will not pass one on a road course, not even close, even a V8 Mustang would have a hard time. They are just a better balanced, lighter, smaller and have IRS. And a modded C5 can be a monster on a road course.
1. his is not even close to stock...
2. true they could have sucked
3. As per MT 82. Mine is notchy in the cold but i just double clutch for the first few minutes and it goes away.
4. I had my 3rd gear syncro replaced... Originally from day one WOT runs at the track and on the street I would be locked out of third. Like deflected. Or hit the gate. After I got the syncro replaced I have hit every third gear shift and missed it for the first time today by accident.
IMO they are solid trannys with little hic ups but most cars have something to complain about. Some early model year 2-11s had bolts backing out but as far as I know none of the newer ones have had that issue

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

My third day out on a road course the tranny kept locking me out of third. It was really annoying. It doesn't happen around town ever, only when at high rpm

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careener View Post
My third day out on a road course the tranny kept locking me out of third. It was really annoying. It doesn't happen around town ever, only when at high rpm

High RPM is actually when my transmission is the smoothest. My rough around town shifting was well cured with a new bracket and better transmission fluid. Then adding a Steeda TriAx only made the experience that much more enjoyable.

klp
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
I should mention that the Ford Racing tune for my Whipple SC deleted the skip shift program, a good thing.
I have 7k on my MT82 and no problems. The skipshift is a pain in the ass though but you are likely used to it from the Vette.

'12 Brembo GT - 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker 1000, HID/Security, Comfort package, Steeda CAI, SCT tuner, Borla axle backs, Barton shifter+bracket, Steeda UCA+mount.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought it day before yesterday...nice car! Do I miss my C5, yes some things. Do I regret the decision...no. Always wanted a vette...got one...loved it, but it was just not my thing. Was 27 degrees last night when I got off of work, and the tranny shifted just as it did when it was 70 last weekend (welcome to VA). Some "notchiness" as I have heard some folks talk about, but in all honesty, I have never driven a manual that was not. Service records show nothing other than oil changes at 18k miles, so either I got lucky or my luck is soon to run out but that is true with most things. I dropped the car off today to be certified, so I will have 4 years/82k miles to get it fixed. Skip shift was already deactivated by the dealer for the previous owner.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Lots of guys have this love it or hate it relationship with their MT82 tranny it seems. Mine shift just fine tho, and I can even say as smooth as butter, but it can lock you out of 3rd and 5th during aggressive acceleration and hard cornering. I tried energy suspension bushings but it seemed to have went back to stock characteristic once it got broken in. I couldn't imagine how I would act if mine had some of the issues some peoples are going through with their MT82. Just hope that you don't become one of those guys and you should be good overall. MT82 is definitely noisy and stubborn lol.

2013 Deep Impact Blue Metallic MT-82 401a
DiabloSport in tune - AirAid CAI - SVT GT500 AB - Ford Racing P springs - Forgestar F14 - Roush rear/side splitters - Stillen chin splitter - CS Fascia conversion - LED fog delete - 2 much 2 list.... Official mod addict: D
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmen111 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I bought it day before yesterday...nice car! Do I miss my C5, yes some things. Do I regret the decision...no. Always wanted a vette...got one...loved it, but it was just not my thing. Was 27 degrees last night when I got off of work, and the tranny shifted just as it did when it was 70 last weekend (welcome to VA). Some "notchiness" as I have heard some folks talk about, but in all honesty, I have never driven a manual that was not. Service records show nothing other than oil changes at 18k miles, so either I got lucky or my luck is soon to run out but that is true with most things. I dropped the car off today to be certified, so I will have 4 years/82k miles to get it fixed. Skip shift was already deactivated by the dealer for the previous owner.
Hi fishmen111,

Welcome back, congrats, and enjoy! If you need me or have any questions, donít hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page