body moldings paint? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

body moldings paint?

Anybody know the basic steps of painting some of these "ready to paint" parts such as side scoops or a spoiler maybe a rear diffuser from cervini? or should i leave that up to the professionals?

2011 Premium GT 401A Brick Red interior 19 inch charcoal rims, 373 gear 6 speed, Elenore side window scoops, 5.0 floor mats,black 5.0 badges,tinted taillights, AM black retro grille, "BMF" hood spears, MGW shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012
PONY Member

Leave it to the pros theirs alot involved in prep work. If the body shop doesn't have an oven ti drive in with cars or parts. Id walk out.

names Alex
2013 premium GT race red, order 3/23/12 ,doa 5/3/12
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Unless you've got some experience with painting, I agree. I don't know how it is in other areas, but what I've paid for paintwork locally on vintage as well as newer cars has been impressively reasonable for excellent work.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe • Performance White • 6R80 • HID • 64M Wheels • Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner • GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set • Ohio's Horses License Plate • Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsuave View Post
Leave it to the pros theirs alot involved in prep work. If the body shop doesn't have an oven ti drive in with cars or parts. Id walk out.

would like to hear your reason to why you think a body shop needs an oven for painting. Do you really think an oven would improve the quality of the paint? Cars are not powder coated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

An oven???? I prefer to see a sealed paint booth, and I'd also like to see the shop spend more time post painting than they do for prep work on parts like these.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
PONY Member

Painting booth i mean. Not oven. I've been to pop and son shops. Where its literally a garage with no paint booth... just an open area. never again. Those paint jobs never look as good as a real shop that have and use the proper tools and equipment. Other person done attempted to rattle can anything. Save the dough and get it done right the first time.

names Alex
2013 premium GT race red, order 3/23/12 ,doa 5/3/12
roush axle backs,pypes x pipe,resonator deletes, jlt oil catch can,20% tint, sr pc blk strut tower bar, painted engine bay and airaid cai, 93R] Bama tune, full roush splitters,cs rear diffuser,stillen gen 1 chin splitter, am black billet hidden fog light grille.Ford p springs, koni Orange struts, shocks, gt500 mounts, eibach sways, umi lca+reloc brak, 19x9.5 sve pc gloss blk wheels, cooper ra3 275/40/19 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in