My acquaintance's $17k 2011 Boss. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My acquaintance's $17k 2011 Boss.

About 5 months ago someone I know was bragging on Facebook [pic attached] about how he just got an awesome deal on a 2011 Boss- $17,000, maybe a little more. I was immediately suspicious, wondering if HE paid 17k and his parents paid the remaining amount, or if it had been in a terrible accident or something. I thought nothing of it till I finally saw the car in person today and noticed a few weird things.

First thing I noticed was the V6 automatic exhaust (the V6 auto exhaust is different from manual, remember?). It struck me as strange that this Boss had pipes from a V6. So I look inside and I recognize the seats and steering wheel as the same as mine (base V6). Next thing I do is search the VIN and sure enough, it comes up saying "V6 Mustang."

The conversion job was half-assed: the front end's foglights and lower fascia seemed wrong. The side stripes seemed good. But the rear end gave it away, with a weird, out-of-place SVT emblem (?) and the V6 exhaust. Oh, and no black roof. The rims are also out-of-place... why put worse rims on a car than came stock? The brakes look very "V6" as well.

Can anyone spot other discrepancies? The mirrors maybe? Are the foglights always black on a Boss?

So here's the question: Does this guy really think he bought a Boss? Did someone swap base seats, steering wheel and exhaust into a real Boss? Or does he know he has a V6 and is just trying to look cool to people by claiming he paid so little for such a great car? I know you guys can't answer these, it's just interesting to ponder. My philosophy on this is that if he thinks he bought a V8 he's a dumbass for not doing his homework. If he knows he bought a V6, liked the price, and has no desire to go through the hassle of removing the stripes, that's fine- more power to him. What I really have a problem with is telling everyone you have a Boss and leading them to believe you're a master price negotiator; I also think of it as posing (I'm not a super badge nazi but this is egregious :nogrinner).

I have the VIN written down... Is there a way I can tell it's a V6 (i.e. 4th digit is a 3 or something)?

If the VIN says it's a V6, what are the chances that someone swapped in a Boss engine?

Sadly, he wasn't near the car today, so I couldn't ask him to see the engine.

Final question: If he happens to be delusional and thinks he has a V8, do I break the bad news to him?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66541_10152213866615543_390406109_n.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	167746  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member

2011 Boss?? Lol

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Apprentice

Some times you just have to let people live in their own little world. He'll have a stop light reality check soon enough. lol

2011 Blaze Yellow GT Backup cam, Security, 6MT, 3:73 gears, 19" wheels, Hushpower cats back, Barton shifter & bracket, C&L CAI, Bama 93 race tune, JLT catch can, Eibach Pro springs & dampers & camber bolts, J&M adj. pan hard, 275/40/19 on SVE Drifts.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1120 View Post
2011 Boss?? Lol

Exactly. I didn't need to read anything more than just the thread title.

Ask your acquaintance to Google the '2011 Boss Mustang' and see what kind of hits he gets.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
replica

An automatic V6 Boss? Yeah, it's called the Mini-Boss. They even come with ugly chrome wheels.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
PONY Member

They didn't make a 2011 BOSS. It has the wrong front end, and no splitter. His seats should have BOSS 302 embroidered into them. The real boss stripe says boss 302, not just boss. From the picture it looks like the spoiler is wrong too.

2011 GTCS
Officially too many mods to list...
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member

I see a lot of things wrong in that picture.

Yuck..

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
GT Member
S197 Member

From what I can see, it has a stock GT front end. The pieces are a direct bolt-on, so it's possible someone did the swap; or this may be a car that was wrecked and rebuilt.

Another possibility besides those you mentioned is that he knows hardly anything about Mustangs and doesn't realize those are aftermarket stripes. But he DOES know there's such a thing as a Boss Mustang, so he sees the word BOSS on the fender and assumes that's what he has.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

You find him then proceed to point and laugh in his face...

Com' on Man!

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
Apprentice

The price says it all- remember, if it sounds to good to be true......

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh, I have a very strong suspicion that he knows very little about Mustangs. That's why I think he may have been taken advantage of.

I'm embarrassed to say that when he said 2011 Boss it never occurred to me that they didn't make them that year. I'm not sure why I forgot about that. I was focussing on the price I guess.

PONY Member

Lol he probably knows, doesn't care. Had a co worker recently purchase a 2001 saleen clone. He knew it was just a gt with a full body kit, and decals but chose to tell everyone it's was a real saleen. Unfortunately in this world, there are ppl like that.....
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicam11A View Post
Oh, I have a very strong suspicion that he knows very little about Mustangs. That's why I think he may have been taken advantage of.
It seems to me he got taken advantage of either way. With a 2013 Base V6 automatic stickered at about 23 grand, 17K for a 2011 is a little high, isn't it?

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
It seems to me he got taken advantage of either way. With a 2013 Base V6 automatic stickered at about 23 grand, 17K for a 2011 is a little high, isn't it?
Well, I'm not sure. This was actually more like 9 months ago (I looked up the date on Fbook) and I'm not sure how many miles are on the car. Plus you gotta factor in those gnar rims!!!!

Now that I think about it, that IS a crappy deal.

PONY Member

more of a 2011 ***** than a boss

2012 5.0 6MT - AED Tuned / Brembo Brakes / 3.73 FRPP Gears / Pypes LTH / Pypes O/R X / Boss Manifold / Steeda Intake / Bama Race Tune / GT500 Wheels / Nitto NT555's / GT500 ABs / Saleen Grille / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Interceptor Gauges / SOS Dual Pillar Pod / Koni Shocks & Struts / BMR Springs / BMR LCAs & Brackets / BMR Camber Bolts / J&M Adj Panhard Bar / GT500 Upper Strut Mounts / GT500 Steering Wheel / Roush Side Splitters / GT/CS Front Fascia / Boss Splitter / Raxiom Headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
boss , fake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page