Is it bad to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while in gear? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Whenever I drive an automatic (my truck) I always brake with my left foot. I'm not sure why I started doing it but I've been doing it for the last 15 years or so. I don't ride the brake pedal though, just like I don't drive around riding the clutch pedal...
I do this with an auto as well.

OP: Wery wery baaad.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggins View Post
I think back to when I was learning to drive 27 years ago on our Dodge Omni and my dad would yell at me, "Get your foot off the clutch!" every time I rested my foot there. "Unless you're shifting, your foot doesn't belong on the clutch pedal while moving" I was told over and over. Resting your hand on the shifter while driving was another big no-no.

Not sure if it really matters to the life of the clutch or not but to this day I've never needed to replace a clutch on any of my vehicles....including that Omni that had almost 150k on it when we sold it.
My Dad taught me the same thing, I taught my son the same thing, except for the hand on the shifter.

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Dont do it... My dad taught me and he always yelled foot off the clutch be it me going into first or just driving.

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Back in the day (I love sayin that), when I was learning how to drive on a 3 speed column shifter, my Old Man, who still drives his semi, told me it was bad for the clutch and I assumed he knew what he was talking about with all the gear jammin he's done over the years. Just made it a habit not to I guess. When I owned the 89 SHO, a notorius clutch eater, I got twice the life out of my clutch than most and three times the life of many. It seems to have had some benefit.

2014 Race Red Base Model-3.7L, MT82, Tech Package, 18" Black Factory Wheels, AirRaid CAI
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thanks for all the responses. Like I mentioned, I don't do this all the time, only when I'm in a situation that I know I will be shifting often. My foot usually rests on the floor but this is all good info. I have driven many standards since I started driving and I guess I never really thought of it and never had to replace anything to do with the clutch. In the future I will try and remember this and break myself of the habit. Thanks again.

-Steve
2011 GT Premium, Kona Blue, Security, Brembo, and 3.73s
Mods: Magnaflow Street Series Cat Back
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Like I mentioned, I don't do this all the time, only when I'm in a situation that I know I will be shifting often. My foot usually rests on the floor but this is all good info. I have driven many standards since I started driving and I guess I never really thought of it and never had to replace anything to do with the clutch. In the future I will try and remember this and break myself of the habit. Thanks again.
Well if you driven standard before and if it works for you then its fine. Its sorta like winterizing a car or anything. A lot of opinions but no straight and true facts
I get my resons from my dad who has maybe 200k on standard and my grandfather with probably close to a million miles on standard (nyc truck driver)... Granted they are easy on clutches because im young and i also race at the drag and like spirited driving

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
Banned

Your choice, but it's an old wive's tale much like you'll crash if you don't hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2. In driver's ed they used to teach "cover the clutch". You can rest your foot on the clutch pedal for hundreds of thousands of miles just as long as you don't partially engage it. It's been done by thousands of people for decades to no ill effect!
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
... just as long as you don't partially engage it.
Therein lies the problem ... people are creatures of habit and will tend to do unintended things. People often speed up or slow down if they aren't 100% attentive to their speed. Studies have shown that people use more gas when listening to ie. rock music while driving because they tend to modulate their speed based on the song tempo.

[As a related side note, of interest is this short video: http://videos.howstuffworks.com/hows...tory-video.htm ]

Of course if you're "touching" the pedal isn't an issue, but the weight of your foot "resting on it" can be enough to lessen the clutch pressure. It also depends on the car; my Focus's clutch is easier to depress than the Mustang. The weight of my foot would partially depress it.

The best way to avoid it entirely is to not pick up the habit at all.

And I can't say for your driver's ed but way back when I took mine 30 years ago you "covered the brake" not the clutch. You had to pay extra to take the manual transmission drivers ed course (probably to defray the cost of clutch replacement, lol) and they told you to always keep your foot off the clutch unless you were shifting.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky View Post
"resting on it" can be enough to lessen the clutch pressure.
This EXACTLY. Rest implies relaxing and once you start relaxing your foot you will start putting more and more weight on the clutch pedal if you don't even realize you are doing it.

It's a poor driving habit. It's as simple as that.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSteve View Post
Noooo!!! Don’t do it, SoonerSteve!!

Sorry, I just wanted to feel included in the conversation. LOL!

Quote:
Therein lies the problem ... people are creatures of habit and will tend to do unintended things. People often speed up or slow down if they aren't 100% attentive to their speed. Studies have shown that people use more gas when listening to ie. rock music while driving because they tend to modulate their speed based on the song tempo.

[As a related side note, of interest is this short video: HowStuffWorks Videos "Ralph Teetor: Cruise Control" ]

Of course if you're "touching" the pedal isn't an issue, but the weight of your foot "resting on it" can be enough to lessen the clutch pressure. It also depends on the car; my Focus's clutch is easier to depress than the Mustang. The weight of my foot would partially depress it.

And I can't say for your driver's ed but way back when I took mine 30 years ago you "covered the brake" not the clutch. You had to pay extra to take the manual transmission drivers ed course (probably to defray the cost of clutch replacement, lol) and they told you to always keep your foot off the clutch unless you were shifting.
Thumbs up for you, OAC_Sparky! You always have good info.

Deysha
Banned

Quote:

[As a related side note, of interest is this short video: HowStuffWorks Videos "Ralph Teetor: Cruise Control" ]

Cover the brake with an auto tranny, but my manual tranny driver's education be it motorcyle or automobile was clutch then brake. As such you covered the clutch pedal so you'd be ready in case there was a panic brake. Reason being in a manual tranny car you can induce axle hop if the tranny is engaged in the wrong gear during a panic stop. As such it's clutch then brake and you're covered for all scenarios. The OP started this saying something to the effect of "occasionally I rest my foot on the clutch pedal". I still maintain "resting" your foot on the clutch is more than fine. If you "rest" your foot on the clutch and partially engage it and can't tell you've got more problems than just a bad foot resting spot!
GT Member

This post just proves nearly no one understands how their clutch works in their car. The bearing is always under spring pressure against the clutch fingers on all Mustangs since 2005. There is a spring in the slave cylinder which forces the throwout bearing against the clutch fingers all the time. Now resting your foot on it would add pressure to the spring and yes that could make it wear faster so keep your foot off. But the bearing is always turning whether foot is on it or not.

If the clutch is not slipping it is not wearing.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
+5
. . . Also, if you get into the habit of putting your left foot on the floor you have less of a chance to plant your face in the steering wheel next time you come to a corner in an automatic car. Done that once; trying to press the clutch in on an auto (out of habit; all 3 of my cars were standard) and slamming that extra-wide brake pedal. lol
LOL, yeah luckily my wife's Camry has a narrow brake pedal, so when I sub-conciously stomp the "air clutch" when coming to a stop I only get floor and no brake pedal!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
There is a spring in the slave cylinder which forces the throwout bearing against the clutch fingers all the time. Now resting your foot on it would add pressure to the spring and yes that could make it wear faster so keep your foot off. But the bearing is always turning whether foot is on it or not.
And that is something that is built into the design of the system. Resting your foot on the clutch pedal is not.
PONY Member

Quote:
This post just proves nearly no one understands how their clutch works in their car. The bearing is always under spring pressure against the clutch fingers on all Mustangs since 2005. There is a spring in the slave cylinder which forces the throwout bearing against the clutch fingers all the time. Now resting your foot on it would add pressure to the spring and yes that could make it wear faster so keep your foot off. But the bearing is always turning whether foot is on it or not.

If the clutch is not slipping it is not wearing.
That spring pales in comparison to the spring that you are forcing it against when hydraulic pressure extends the slave cylinder.... Who doesn't understand it? I can compress the spring you are referring to with my hands. Try that with your pressure plate. Two totally different levels of force. That spring is to make sure the slave cylinder fully retracts and to keep it from moving without master cylinder pressure, nothing more.

Also, these are hydraulic clutches. Barely applying pressure to the clutch pedal is going to have much more affect than on a mechanical setup where you don't have a hydraulic assist.

Lastly, your clutch disc may not wear if not slipping, but you are wearing the throwout bearing and pressure plate spring fingers when riding the clutch anything more than the pedal freeplay travel.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page