Is it bad to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while in gear? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Is it bad to rest your foot on the clutch pedal while in gear?

Every now and then I find myself resting my foot on the clutch pedal while driving in traffic. I only do this when I know that I'm going to have to shift often. It seems like there is a little bit of play when the pedal isn't engaged so I doubt it hurts anything but I was just curious if this could potentially cause a problem. Thoughts???

-Steve
2011 GT Premium, Kona Blue, Security, Brembo, and 3.73s
Mods: Magnaflow Street Series Cat Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
PONY Member

Don't sweat it. You're probably not putting enough pressure on it to hurt anything and even if you did put enough pressure the throwout bearing would just spin on the pressure plate fingers. I guess after a really long tome it could affect the bearing but I doubt it

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Not a good idea. Even if you aren't putting enough pressure on it to disengage the clutch you could still put added pressure on the throwout bearing and cause premature wear. You wouldn't drive around with your foot lightly resting on the brake pedal and the same should be done with the clutch pedal.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
Rookie

I think back to when I was learning to drive 27 years ago on our Dodge Omni and my dad would yell at me, "Get your foot off the clutch!" every time I rested my foot there. "Unless you're shifting, your foot doesn't belong on the clutch pedal while moving" I was told over and over. Resting your hand on the shifter while driving was another big no-no.

Not sure if it really matters to the life of the clutch or not but to this day I've never needed to replace a clutch on any of my vehicles....including that Omni that had almost 150k on it when we sold it.

2013 Mustang GT/DIB/Track Pack/Electronics/Comfort
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not a good idea to keep your foot on the clutch. It may not be a problem every time but it could be sometime. Why take a chance.

2014 GT 5.0 Premium (Ordered 2/1/2013, received 3/20/2013) 6A - 401A premium trim - Steeda CAI - (Mike Rousch) SCT Dynojet custom tune - Lethal offroad H-pipe - J&M LCA's - BMR relocation brackets - Circle D 5C converter - DSS aluminum drive shaft - front sway bar delete kit - stock mufflers - and a stock 3:15 gear. Best pass so far - 60 ft. 1.577, 1/4 mile e.t. 11.567, mph 117.22.

(Traded in on new 2014)
2011 GT 5.0 Premium - Black - 6M - 3:73 gear
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wears out the throw out bearing, disc and pressure plate prematurely. Believe it or not, you might think you do not have a lot of pressure on it but if it moves a little it is putting pressure on it.
BTW, during a ride along with my old boss, if you left your foot on the clutch you did not get hired.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
Apprentice

Yep, like everyone else said, it's poor form to rest your foot on the clutch. I just keep my foot on the carpet to the left of the clutch. I've been meaning to add a dead pedal but haven't done it yet.

2011 GT, Kona Blue Brembo 3.73

Mods: Airaid CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni STR.T shocks and dampers, BBK Longtubes and X-pipe, Lethal OAPs, GT500 Axle Back, Forgestar F14s 19x9/20x11, Fays2 Watts Link, Barton SS and Bracket
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
Banned

Contrary to what everyone is saying you're fine as long as you're just resting it there. If you put enough presure to partially engage the clutch that's another matter, but your question was about just resting it there.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
Contrary to what everyone is saying you're fine as long as you're just resting it there.
Contrary to what you are saying, it's not fine. The OP mentioned the slight bit of play at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Part of the reason it is there is to prevent preloading the throwout bearing when the clutch pedal is fully released and ensure complete clutch disengagement when the pedal is depressed. When you rest your foot on the clutch pedal you are taking that 1/4" or so of freeplay out of the pedal and as soon as that's gone you begin loading the throwout bearing. Whether the bearing lasts 30,000 miles or 150,000 miles you are still putting an unnecessary load on the bearing and wear on the clutch. This is the same reason a clutch cable is inentionally adjusted to provide a small amount of play in the pedal.
PONY Member

^This. You are putting a load on a bearing that is not supposed to be loaded for any length of time, and at much higher rotational speeds and torque loads to boot. It's only meant to carry it intermittently. Not to mention you are wearing out the pressure plate belleville spring a well. The fingers are not supposed to be loaded like that all of the time, even if you are barely pushing on it. That and you run the risk of inducing clutch slip if you ride it any heavier.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Blazin72 is correct, and your foot has no business resting on the clutch pedal. That's what a dead pedal is for : resting your foot beside the clutch pedal.

SLITHER
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Not a good idea. Even if you aren't putting enough pressure on it to disengage the clutch you could still put added pressure on the throwout bearing and cause premature wear. You wouldn't drive around with your foot lightly resting on the brake pedal and the same should be done with the clutch pedal.
^^I agree^^ Funny thing is, my late step dad would drive around all the time with one foot on the gas & the other on the brake. He was so used to driving a stick shift car that he never could get used to driving an automatic & this was back circa 1956. He put more than a few brake sets on that old `56 Olds.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

U.S. Navy veteran 1964-1968
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
^^I agree^^ Funny thing is, my late step dad would drive around all the time with one foot on the gas & the other on the brake.
Whenever I drive an automatic (my truck) I always brake with my left foot. I'm not sure why I started doing it but I've been doing it for the last 15 years or so. I don't ride the brake pedal though, just like I don't drive around riding the clutch pedal...
Banned

Regarding resting your foot on the clutch pedal:

I don't know if you watch Myth Busters, but you may recognize this line from their show;

"Don't do it, EVER!"
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Contrary to what you are saying, it's not fine. The OP mentioned the slight bit of play at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Part of the reason it is there is to prevent preloading the throwout bearing when the clutch pedal is fully released and ensure complete clutch disengagement when the pedal is depressed. When you rest your foot on the clutch pedal you are taking that 1/4" or so of freeplay out of the pedal and as soon as that's gone you begin loading the throwout bearing. Whether the bearing lasts 30,000 miles or 150,000 miles you are still putting an unnecessary load on the bearing and wear on the clutch. This is the same reason a clutch cable is inentionally adjusted to provide a small amount of play in the pedal.
+5

If you're not actually performing a shift, your foot should be on the floor (unless of course you are anticipating a shift). I don't even rest my foot on the clutch pedal between shifting gears; it hovers a half-inch over the pedal. It takes a conscious effort to train yourself but after a while it becomes second nature.

Also, if you get into the habit of putting your left foot on the floor you have less of a chance to plant your face in the steering wheel next time you come to a corner in an automatic car. Done that once; trying to press the clutch in on an auto (out of habit; all 3 of my cars were standard) and slamming that extra-wide brake pedal. lol

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page