LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Tires, rims, coil overs

I am conglomerating everything of my suspension into one thread
Well, I come here for a final answer. I have the stock 225/60-17 BFG radial TA
I want to run 235/45-17 pilot super sports.
Can I?
I have a tuner so I can re calibrate everything. But will the pilot super sport fit on the rim.
Yes I know I should pick up 18 or 19 inch rims and get a staggered like 255 in the front and 275 or 285 in the back but Im putting the other money towards gears, strut mounts, and coil overs (KW V1)
Gears: 3.55
Coil overs: KW V1s, are there better choices? for around the same coin or cheaper
Sways: eibach adj front and rear
strut mounts: gt500
1. Will i need a re alignment?
2. Everytime I raise or lower the coil overs will I need a realignment?
3. Shouldd I get an adj PHB
4. When I lower the car via coil overs, it will become stiffer right?
5. My tire question above.

My general uses are drag strip 5x a year, one auto x, maybe a track day, and 1-2x a month going to the mountains.

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
I am conglomerating everything of my suspension into one thread
Well, I come here for a final answer. I have the stock 225/60-17 BFG radial TA
I want to run 235/45-17 pilot super sports.
Can I?
I have a tuner so I can re calibrate everything. But will the pilot super sport fit on the rim.
Yes I know I should pick up 18 or 19 inch rims and get a staggered like 255 in the front and 275 or 285 in the back but Im putting the other money towards gears, strut mounts, and coil overs (KW V1)
Gears: 3.55
Coil overs: KW V1s, are there better choices? for around the same coin or cheaper
Sways: eibach adj front and rear
strut mounts: gt500
1. Will i need a re alignment?
2. Everytime I raise or lower the coil overs will I need a realignment?
3. Shouldd I get an adj PHB
4. When I lower the car via coil overs, it will become stiffer right?
5. My tire question above.

My general uses are drag strip 5x a year, one auto x, maybe a track day, and 1-2x a month going to the mountains.
OK HERE WE GO!

Tires:
I wouldn't really recommend 235/45-17 just because I think they will pillow a lot and you will lose handling because of it. Save up for a set of 18s (I'm selling mine -hint hint- haha)

Coilovers:
KW V1s are very nice but they do lack the adjustability which killed the deal for me. I would recommend a set of BC coilovers or megans. They aren't as good as the KWs when it comes to raw performance but they are more livable since they allow for a little adjustment. OR OR OR GO BALLS OUT <~you should know what I mean by now
And no just by lowering your car on coilovers will not make the ride stiffer. It is all on the dampers' settings. I adjusted my v3s so that on regular daily drive, it is as smooth and soft as a cadillac.

Gears:
You are just better off getting some 3.31s or 3.73s. From what I've heard, 3.55s have awkward gearing when it comes to anything but drag racing. For autox, it is better to be able to stay in one gear so you don't lose time shifting from one gear to the next, but with 3.55s the ideal speeds is usually split between two gears. Get what I am saying?

Sway Bars:
Apparently they make a huge difference, but I haven't got them yet. When I do, I'll tell you how great they are after a track day.

Strut Mounts:
Save some money and stay with stock because Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber plates (will discuss more in alignment section) don't fit GT500 mounts.

Alignment:
This also encompasses your questions regarding the adjustable panhard bar question as well. Whenever you lower your car or do any suspension mod, it is recommended that you get the car realigned. Which brings me to camber/caster plates and the adj. panhard bar. They are mandatory!! Whenever you lower/raise a car, it tampers with the suspension geometry so your camber, caster, and toe will be off in the front. Since our cars has a live axle in the rear, camber, caster, or toe is impossible to adjust or even change. The adjustable panhard bar is what you use to recenter the rear axle after the drop because it will slant/shift to one side. In order to get the front back in spec or into race spec, a caster and camber plate is needed. Google up what "caster", "camber", and "toe" because thats an entirely different thread.

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Car: 2011 Black Mustang v6, 6-Speed Auto, Premium Package
MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
Chuckwalla(CW)-2:21.065
Streets of Willow(CCW)- 1:29.661
Buttonwillow(CCW)-Let's not talk about it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
GT Member

According to my tire shop that's too wide for the 7 inch stock rim.

The formula they gave is take the 235 / 25.4 to convert to inches = 9.26 then - rim width of 7" = 2.26 this is overlap then / 2 for each side over lap = 1.13". If between 1/2" and 1" o.k safe fit. So if you follow this tire shops recommendation they say thats too much hanging over the side to be safe.

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Yea i figured that out
They are brand new in total they cost 182$ so if i can get 200 out of em i would be happy. Im thinking about putting them up on my local stang club for 250 and be neg. then on craigslist for 275 and be neg.
And then looking into fr500s staggered with hankook v3s
255s in the front and 275 in the back
And if i can get 15% off at autoanything might just go for the best and get kw v3

Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

here is my list now.
V3 and potenza pole positions/ Conti Extreme Contact DW/ Nitto invo. All with in $100 of each other basically and GT500 strut mounts, and mount and balane for about 3k

V1 and everything else for about 2300

Or finally Koni sports (yellows) and including everything else for $1570

Then with that I can take the extra money and put it towards 3.55s

Also, do you think I should still get sway bars (especially adjustable if I get any of these "packages"). the sways were gonna be a gift but if they are not really needed I could always throw the 470 towards any of the packages.

As for DBBlackStang

Tires- I am gonna listen and go to 255/45-18. And if you want tell me how much to ship to NJ and I could be a buyer

Coil overs- From some searching the BC and/or megans seem to have a general understanding of being cheaper/louder/ not as good. I rather get less but more quality (think of it like going to home depot to buy a big 32inch snow blower or go to honda dealer and get a 28). And I think the V1s only offer height adjusting.

Gears- I get what you mean totally. I am not that competitive so it would be worthless to get a gear just based on tracking. I want to retain some MPGS but be able to get off the line quicker then a PP.

Sways- I might just toss those and see how the suspension works out
Strut mounts- I thought you cant use stock again, hence buying new

Alignment- ok so you prove my theory sorta. Would you just mark/ write down how many turns or what ever it is to adjust between different set ups

I will PM you about your tires DB

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
here is my list now.
V3 and potenza pole positions/ Conti Extreme Contact DW/ Nitto invo. All with in $100 of each other basically and GT500 strut mounts, and mount and balane for about 3k

V1 and everything else for about 2300

Or finally Koni sports (yellows) and including everything else for $1570

Then with that I can take the extra money and put it towards 3.55s

Also, do you think I should still get sway bars (especially adjustable if I get any of these "packages"). the sways were gonna be a gift but if they are not really needed I could always throw the 470 towards any of the packages.

As for DBBlackStang

Tires- I am gonna listen and go to 255/45-18. And if you want tell me how much to ship to NJ and I could be a buyer

Coil overs- From some searching the BC and/or megans seem to have a general understanding of being cheaper/louder/ not as good. I rather get less but more quality (think of it like going to home depot to buy a big 32inch snow blower or go to honda dealer and get a 28). And I think the V1s only offer height adjusting.

Gears- I get what you mean totally. I am not that competitive so it would be worthless to get a gear just based on tracking. I want to retain some MPGS but be able to get off the line quicker then a PP.

Sways- I might just toss those and see how the suspension works out
Strut mounts- I thought you cant use stock again, hence buying new

Alignment- ok so you prove my theory sorta. Would you just mark/ write down how many turns or what ever it is to adjust between different set ups

I will PM you about your tires DB
Well depending on where you live, you might want to consider the BCs or Megans since I think the V1s are on a stiffer side. Its livable though. As for gears, the difference in MPG when comparing 2.73 to 3.73 is actually around 2MPGs so not a huge loss there. Tell me how well the sways work . I resued my strut mounts and they work fine. My alignment is pretty track focused with -2.5 camber, 0.1 toe on each side, and I forgot my caster so I'll get back to you. My front tires are visibly slanted.

MODS: KW Variant 3 Coilovers w/ Maximum Motorsport CC Plates | J&M Adj. Panhard Rod | AEM Intake | Bama 91R | Borla S-Type Axle-Back | Boss Front Conversion w/ Saleen Grille + Foglight w/ Auto Headlight | Boss Rear Diffuser | Forgestar F14 18x10 +42 w/ Nitto NT05 275/35-18 (all around)| BMR LCA | SVT GT500 BBK|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Really? I am just worried that it will drop off at 75 plus mph
And Im 18 I wont mind the stiff ride ALL that much. I think my dad and I are splitting a beater jeep for the winter so if im lucky we will keep it and I can just park my car and not daily it.
I will surely tell you how sways work depending on if I get them (still trying to see if I can get them to put 460 towards the coil overs). Then I might get V3s
And I really do not want that much. I want even wear and just to where it is better in the twisties.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

Na it'll be fine. The MPG drop isn't as intense as what everyone says. Forums tend to blow stuff out of proportion.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBlackStang View Post
Na it'll be fine. The MPG drop isn't as intense as what everyone says. Forums tend to blow stuff out of proportion.
BBlackStang, you are making this extremely tough. It sure seems like you know your stuff. Therefor making it hard not to listen.
and variant 3's
what is adjustable on there?

PONY Member

Quote:
BBlackStang, you are making this extremely tough. It sure seems like you know your stuff. Therefor making it hard not to listen.
and variant 3's
what is adjustable on there?
Haha I still have a long way to go in terms of knowledge. The KW Variant 3s have adjustable height, rebound, and compression making it possible to tailor to each individual's driving style and different tracks.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

At full height how high do they sit?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmr2000 View Post
According to my tire shop that's too wide for the 7 inch stock rim.

The formula they gave is take the 235 / 25.4 to convert to inches = 9.26 then - rim width of 7" = 2.26 this is overlap then / 2 for each side over lap = 1.13". If between 1/2" and 1" o.k safe fit. So if you follow this tire shops recommendation they say thats too much hanging over the side to be safe.
BTW PMR it cost me 182 because of the bridge and gas and the tires thats what Im doing as they did not work out as planned

PONY Member

Quote:
At full height how high do they sit?
I really have no clue. I think its close to stock height if not higher.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBlackStang View Post
I really have no clue. I think its close to stock height if not higher.
Oh sweet. I am modile later i can pm
Ya back

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

So now i am in a quandry. 400$ to the sway bars or 400$ towards bc racing br coil overs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page