Nav/Elec. Package on '14 GT Premium worth it? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Nav/Elec. Package on '14 GT Premium worth it?

Like the title says.......New member here, just put a deposit down on a '14 GT Premium! First Mustang; been lusting over them since I was a high school kid surrounded by Fox bodies! Anyway, currently deployed and have it set up to deliver in May when I get back Waiting sucks.

Still tossing around ideas on options and Im trying to decide if the Navigation/electronics package is worth the $$$$. I know I can just use my Garmin to get around, but it seems like the system has a lot of pretty cool/gee whiz items, but wanted to hear from someone that actually got it as to whether or not you would do it again. Thanks in advance! Oh and also confirm, you still have manual control of your climate control with the Nav system correct?

Matt

Being built 3/01/13: 2014 Mustang GT Premium, SGM, 401a, 6 spd, 3.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg98 View Post
Like the title says.......New member here, just put a deposit down on a '14 GT Premium! First Mustang; been lusting over them since I was a high school kid surrounded by Fox bodies! Anyway, currently deployed and have it set up to deliver in May when I get back Waiting sucks.

Still tossing around ideas on options and Im trying to decide if the Navigation/electronics package is worth the $$$$. I know I can just use my Garmin to get around, but it seems like the system has a lot of pretty cool/gee whiz items, but wanted to hear from someone that actually got it as to whether or not you would do it again. Thanks in advance! Oh and also confirm, you still have manual control of your climate control with the Nav system correct?

Matt
I love mine, however I do also have a 500GB hard drive attached to the system which enhances it.

There are a few drawbacks; the NAV updates that come out are more expensive (about $200), and the GPS isn't as versatile as a hand-held unit. It would be nice if you could upload your own POIs; I have a trapster account and it'd be nice to overlay the speed traps like I can on the Garmin portable.

As for your climate control, you still have manual control for MOST functions. Auto dual-zone climate control, fan speed, defrost. Some things, though, you do have to use the touch screen; such as choosing the heat to vent to the floor only or dash vents or both.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
Banned

"Worth it" will vary person to person, but IMO the 8" display makes the interior. It looks kinda cheap without it. Not to mention that a simple hack truly turns it into a mobile infotainment system. Put me down for a YES!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member

I don't have it on my 11, but i would definitely get it if i was to order the car.

so i say yes.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

+1 on Nav and also a suggestion

My wife loves it in her '11 GT, but I've learned to live w/o it in my '13 Boss. If you are in Germany and will be able to drive your Mustang at high speeds, I strongly recommend the leather Recaros, they are worth every penny. There's just no comparing the bench-like seat in the Premium interior to the Recaros.

Race Red 2013 Track Pack Mustang GT - YouTube
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
My wife loves it in her '11 GT, but I've learned to live w/o it in my '13 Boss. If you are in Germany and will be able to drive your Mustang at high speeds, I strongly recommend the leather Recaros, they are worth every penny. There's just no comparing the bench-like seat in the Premium interior to the Recaros.
I hope you pitched a fit when you found your new car parked in the dirt!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member

I have the electronics package and would not buy the car any other way. There are always a few things I feel could be improved but get it if you can afford it and you won't regret it.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you can afford it, get it, but I didn't think it was worth the extra money when I bought mine.

2012 Mustang V6 Premium | Black on Black - SOLD
Options:6-speed automatic | pony package | HID headlamps | security package | reverse sensing system | comfort package
Build date: 5/12/2011 | Purchased: 6/7/2011
Mods: tape stripe delete | 20% tint | Dynomax SS cat-back exhaust (39507) | smoked side markers | Injen intake (PF9022WB)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
I hope you pitched a fit when you found your new car parked in the dirt!
That was a track pack GT, mine was delivered as instructed, unwashed & untouched.
Seadog

Nothing I have seen makes it worth the money. For a quarter of the cost, you could get an iPad Mini that does a lot more. And the iPad is portable. If money is no object, I would not tell you that it is a bad deal, but I have driven many cars with the same navigation system, and prefer the alternatives.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would definitely get it. It is one my favorite feature if the car + if your getting the back up camera it is much easier to see the image on a big screen compared to the tiny rear mirror.

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
GT Member
S197 Member

I have the Nav and back up cam, I would do it again !!

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
"Worth it" will vary person to person, but IMO the 8" display makes the interior. It looks kinda cheap without it. Not to mention that a simple hack truly turns it into a mobile infotainment system. Put me down for a YES!

Ummm, what's this simple hack ????

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
5POINTO

I thought about it, but decided the money would be better spent getting the California Special package. I just have never been a nav user, and I hate that you have to use the screen for some simple adjustments which makes it take twice as long. I didn't care about the hard drive space as I usually use Sirius, a CD, the USB in the console or stream via Bluetooth. The screen does look nice, but IMO it wasn't worth it to me...but remember, get what YOU want.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Ummm, what's this simple hack ????
A plug in device that allows this (but that's another thread).

HACK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page