Nicked My Bumper - Touch Up Help Request - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Nicked My Bumper - Touch Up Help Request

Last night I apparently was in neutral when I parked in my garage. My car ever so slightly rolled back into my garage door. One of the hinges produced a very small nick in the rear bumper.

Is there an accepted technique to fill in the nick and touch up?

Or is it simply touching up with multiple layers of paint?

Whenever I've had an older car and used touch up, I never really got it right.

Could a dealer touch up this 3mm nick for under $100?

Thanks!

2013 Ford Mustang V6 with Performance Package, Recaro Cloth Seats, 19" Brembo GT Track Pack Wheels and GT Premium 19" Wheels, OEM 3:31 gears, Airaid CAI and Roush Upper and Lower Grille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Give Dr Color Chip a try,I have used there product on my Kona Blue GT and it worked great,try a hair dryer on the dimple might take it out.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Give Dr Color Chip a try,I have used there product on my Kona Blue GT and it worked great,try a hair dryer on the dimple might take it out.
Anything a dealer touches will be over $100 so they can make margin. However, as mentioned above, there are places that can make it look perfect with touch up. I would only recommend this type of repair on a plastic part.
:-)

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
Apprentice

Just go to a real shop your dealer I am sure deals with a good one mine gave me a free touchup for tiny rock chip and trust me dr color chip is not the way to go. If they do charge you it might be $50 but if you dont know what you are doing youll mess it up!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
trust me dr color chip is not the way to go. but if you dont know what you are doing youll mess it up!
This video begs to differ:

Dr. ColorChip paint chip repair live demo - YouTube

2014 GT Coupe, 3.73 gears, Security Pkg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

There is actually a nick/gouge in the plastic. Wondering how to fill that? Is that something a dealer should do?

2013 Ford Mustang V6 with Performance Package, Recaro Cloth Seats, 19" Brembo GT Track Pack Wheels and GT Premium 19" Wheels, OEM 3:31 gears, Airaid CAI and Roush Upper and Lower Grille.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Paintscratch.com is a good place to try as well.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
PONY Member

Re the Dr. Color Chip, paying $60 for a bottle of paint and a bottle of reducer is absurd.

Another concern is that chips in the paint hold wax, and I did not see any attempt to solvent clean the chip before applying the paint.

Applying the paint away from a chip makes no sense if the chip is deep enough to have gone through the clear coat and exposed the color and or primer coats.

So here is what I would do to the Dr Color Chip process:
1. Using a tooth brush and the original Dawn liquid soap (it's blue), scrub the chip and wipe the area dry;
2. Using acetone on clean rag, wipe the chip;
3a. For a shallow chip (through only one paint thickness), apply the color on the chip;
3b. For a deep chip, or a chip bigger than 1/16th in diameter, fill the chip with a body putty, wipe it smooth with a gloved thumb and let it dry, then apply the color;
4. While the color paint is still wet, wipe it smooth with a gloved thumb;
5. Let the paint dry for the recommended time;
4. Using the Dr Color Chip blending solvent, wipe off the excess paint;
5. After curing for a few days, apply a coat of wax to the repair.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Im in the same boat. I have a nick in the plastic front bumper. I tried the Langka sysyem and it didnt work as the scratch in the plastic is to deep and because it is plastic, it is burred up around the edges of the nick. It looks terrible and although it isnt big it is in a place on the edge of the bumper that really shows it.
Other than having it filled and sanded and painting the entire bumper , I see no way of fixing this. So i have touch up paint on it to hide the black plastic colour ( my car is grabber blue) But I am leaving it alone although it drives me nuts.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Apprentice

I almost have the exact same damage, only on my front bumper.

I cleaned with rubbing alcohol, and put a coat of touch up paint, followed by three, or four coats every hour, or so.

A week later I polished the gouge with a Qtip and compound. Not perfect, but not that noticeable either.

Let us know what works for you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2012 Base Mustang Convertible
2009 Grand Marquis
PONY Member

I used to work for multiple touch up companies. NOTHING you will ever do touch up wise will make it 100%.... Your best bet is to find out when your dealer's touch up guy is on their lot. I used to help out customers the best I could when they approached me. I also painted entire bumpers for around $100. Unfortunately I am no longer in that business....
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

At least be smart enough to take it to the dealer's bodyshop (or another bodyshop you have used and have been satsified with in the past) and ask how much before you go wasting your money on snake oil.

Chances are for not that much more they'll be able to make it look like it never happened vs. you spending almost as much to make it look like sh**.

And having it look like it never happened is always going to feel better.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsstang View Post
Last night I apparently was in neutral when I parked in my garage. My car ever so slightly rolled back into my garage door. One of the hinges produced a very small nick in the rear bumper.
Hello fredsstang,

You should contact your local Ford dealer for pricing. You can also find the touch up paint here.

Deysha
Apprentice

Touch up tip

If you have a small nick or scratch, used a toothpic to fill in the paint. It's alot more precise than a brush

2013 3.7, MT82
3.55s, Bama 93H, lethal O/R X-pipe, American Muscle alum
driveshaft, Shelby frt swaybar, BMR links, Konis, energy susp bits,
camber bolts, GT resonators, 255-45/18 Goodyear F1
supercars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page