Traded my Mustang GT in for a 12' Camaro SS L99 Auto - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
5POINTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
I don't understand the love for paddle shifters. It's a glorified automatic and shifts like one . . . and I don't find it fun at all. Manual or nothing.

Make no mistake, I think the Camaros are nice, just not with an auto tranny.
Especially considering the Camaro has the TR6060, not the junk MT-82. The MT-82 is why after a few manuals I went auto. Thankfully the 6R80 has been flawless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

I'm happy to say that I've never owned a Chevy and I never will. That's just me. I hope you enjoy your new Camaro. As long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Dave USAF (Ret)
2013 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Comfort Pkg., Red Candy, Saddle Leather, 6 MT, 3.31s Build date: 20120808, Purchase date: 20121009, Mods: GT500 Axle Back Exhaust, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Redline Hood Struts
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
I don't understand the love for paddle shifters. It's a glorified automatic and shifts like one . . . and I don't find it fun at all. Manual or nothing.

Make no mistake, I think the Camaros are nice, just not with an auto tranny.
I would have said the exact same thing before test driving the auto SS...
The paddles are very responsive enough for me and the auto pulls like a v8 should.
The manual felt slow (like a stock 3.31 5.0) and the shifter was in the wrong spot.

The auto camaro may be a couple ticks slower at the track than the 5.0 but it feels and seems much faster.

Lack of pull in the 5.0 especially in the low end bothered me to no end. People would ride in my car and always ask, is that it after I got on it?

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten

GT Member

glad you got what you wanted and its your money and your decision but switching because of some paddle shifters is whack man lol

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
glad you got what you wanted and its your money and your decision but switching because of some paddle shifters is whack man lol
Lets clear this up.
I did not get the camaro for the paddle shifters. They are an added bonus that can occasionally break up the monotony of the auto.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
I did test drive a 2010 manual SS and found the shifter to be in a strange position and the steering wheel fugly. The manual felt much weaker than the auto too somehow, I think due to the gearing.
The 12+ model interior is so much nicer than the 10-11 and the auto feels like a rocket.

That's why I didn't get a Camaro. The driver interfaces for me personally were just flocking wrong. The shifter was wrong. The steering wheel was wrong. The seats were wrong. And at 5' 8" I couldn't see a [email protected] thing out of it.
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
at 5' 8" I couldn't see a [email protected] thing out of it
LOL I'm 5'11 and if i were any shorter I could see this being an issue.
I find the seats and ride very comfortable. Mine being an auto I don't have to deal with the wack manual shifter position. :shiny:

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5POINTO View Post
Especially considering the Camaro has the TR6060, not the junk MT-82. The MT-82 is why after a few manuals I went auto. Thankfully the 6R80 has been flawless.

Just so you're aware, the Camaro SS was constantly blowing out input shafts and still is killing 2nd gear syncros. It's the M10 build rated at 430lb ft at 3860lb GVWR, no the mighty MM6 in the Z06 or the MH3 found in the ZR1.
Banned

Quote:
LOL I'm 5'11 and if i were any shorter I could see this being an issue.
I find the seats and ride very comfortable. Mine being an auto I don't have to deal with the wack manual shifter position. :shiny:

I will admit that the independent suspension was a nice thing to have in the Camaro. Wasn't nearly as harsh as the Mustang especially since I have the Brembo Brake Package. If I didn't have to shift, I would see that not really being an issue. But I wanted a manual transmission.
Rookie

I think as a true gearhead you have to be well rounded. I'm sure you'll like some cars more than others, but in the end it will have been a great experience to have owned several different types. Enjoy the Camaro.
The large majority of buyers these days choose an auto, the three pedal mofia mourns your loss!
In order to be competitive in the segment the Mustang really needs padel shifters. The silly rocker switch on the shifter doesn't mate well with spirited driving. It takes too much concentration to reach down from the (proper) 9/3 position, find the button, figure out where your hand is lying on it and make the change. Gear changes should be quick, with minimal hand time off the wheel. Even an auto shifter that bumps up down would be preferrable to the rocker switch. I guess they felt like they had to do something different. I suppose if you cruise slumped with one hand at the 12 position and another resting on the shifter it is fine.

13 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack 6MT (my DD)
06 BMW Z4M Roadster (weekends)
97 BMW M3 (Race Car)
99 BMW Z3M Coupe (back-up race car)
85 BMW M635CSI (Show)
10 Subaru Outback 3.6 (wifeys DD)
08 Chevy Duramax 4WD (tow)
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
I think as a true gearhead you have to be well rounded. I'm sure you'll like some cars more than others, but in the end it will have been a great experience to have owned several different types. Enjoy the Camaro.
Yes this
I've owned cars of all types including many stangs and camaros. I am not biased to one manufacture at all. I usually switch cars every 3 years or so to get the latest and greatest I can afford.

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
GT Member

Pics or your a bloody liar.

Past: 2011 3.7 6AT SG
Current: 2014 5.0 6MT Black
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post

If it weren't for (in my opinion) the imbecilic driver interfaces, I would have had to flip a coin to decide whether to get a 1SS or a GT Brembo Brake Package. I was also one phone call away from a 2008 Corvette Z51. I seriously drive over a dozen cars before deciding on the Mustang. Many of them GM's and they were very good! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the 2006 GTO. It's such a fun car and a true smile machine. It was a very diffucult decision.
GT Member

Quote:
Lack of pull in the 5.0 especially in the low end bothered me to no end. People would ride in my car and always ask, is that it after I got on it?
<--- 12.2 @ 114.5, still stock

No one has ever asked me that.

2012 P8C, HP, 300A, 55D, 457
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
This pretty much sums up how I feel about paddle shifters and anyone who buys a camaro and then brags about it on a Mustang forum:
Here we go...

I'm not bragging about anything and like I said before, I did not buy the SS for the paddles, they are just an added bonus. Other than the test drive I haven't even used them yet.

Quote:
Have fun!
Thanks and I will

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page