using gt500 strut mounts to convert 2011+ v6 to 2005-2010 suspension - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

using gt500 strut mounts to convert 2011+ v6 to 2005-2010 suspension

Firstly I appologize for asking something that has been covered, but in the threads I've found I did not see anyone give a definitive answer. I have a 2012 3.7 v6 and I would like to use the 2005-2010 koni str struts and shocks. People have stated this can be done using the gt500 strut mounts. Is this true? Is there anything else I would need? Would most aftermarket 05-10 springs work with this setup? I havnt decided on springs yet, but I'm looking for a 1-1.5 inch drop that does not difer front to back. The ones I've seen I believe were the sr performance and the ford racing units. How about the rears? Would 05-10 springs and shocks mount to my car with no issues? Sorry for the noob questions that have probably been answered, its just my searches left me confused because people were saying different things, and I just want to make double sure. Of coarse I will ask and verify everything with americanmuscle before I order, I would just like to know the lowdown from y'all before I call a salesperson. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
Grimace427

90% of all aftermarket shocks/struts are for 05-10 models with about 10% being 2011 specific. The difference is in the shape of the stud on top of the front strut where it goes into the upper mount. This is why you need GT500 mounts or any mount that will work with 05-10 mustangs. The rear suspension is 100% identical across all years from 2005 up, as are the springs at all 4 corners.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD.ken View Post
Firstly I appologize for asking something that has been covered, but in the threads I've found I did not see anyone give a definitive answer. I have a 2012 3.7 v6 and I would like to use the 2005-2010 koni str struts and shocks. People have stated this can be done using the gt500 strut mounts. Is this true? Is there anything else I would need? Would most aftermarket 05-10 springs work with this setup? I havnt decided on springs yet, but I'm looking for a 1-1.5 inch drop that does not difer front to back. The ones I've seen I believe were the sr performance and the ford racing units. How about the rears? Would 05-10 springs and shocks mount to my car with no issues? Sorry for the noob questions that have probably been answered, its just my searches left me confused because people were saying different things, and I just want to make double sure. Of coarse I will ask and verify everything with americanmuscle before I order, I would just like to know the lowdown from y'all before I call a salesperson. Thank you in advance.
Yes, you can install 2005-2010 KONI struts and shocks when you use the GT500 strut mounts. I did that modification on my 2011 Mustang V6 vert. I added the shocks, struts and GT500 mounts to the stock springs, so nothing else was required. I checked the alignment and it had not changed from stock - no reason for it to, since I did not lower the car and change the suspension geometry. There are plenty of spring sets for the 2011+ cars. If you lower the car more then about an inch..estimate...you will probably need the front end realigned and may need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle. I'm sure there are many on there that have done a similar mod.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012
Apprentice

i just ordered that exact same set up yesterday for my 12 v6, 05-10 koni str front struts and rear shocks, gt 500 top mounts, sr springs, eibach camber bolts, panhard rod. i cant wait to get them:laughlitt

2012 mustang v6 performance package, power mods: airraid intake, borla s-type exhaust, appearance mods: saleen front grille, hood spears, roush side spliters, 2013 tail lights, retro fitted head lights with led and hid, shorty antena, black deck lid, gt500 steering wheel, oem take off leather seats, retro black shift knob, suspension mods: koni shocks/struts, sr springs, gt500 top mounts, panhard bar, lca.
1994 mustang gt 5.0
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Yes, you can install 2005-2010 KONI struts and shocks when you use the GT500 strut mounts. I did that modification on my 2011 Mustang V6 vert. I added the shocks, struts and GT500 mounts to the stock springs, so nothing else was required. I checked the alignment and it had not changed from stock - no reason for it to, since I did not lower the car and change the suspension geometry. There are plenty of spring sets for the 2011+ cars. If you lower the car more then about an inch..estimate...you will probably need the front end realigned and may need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle. I'm sure there are many on there that have done a similar mod.

You still need to get an alignment. Changing the geometry is irrelevant compared to loosening suspension fasteners and replacing major suspension components. While the car may track straight you could be damaging your tires right now.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012
BOSS Member

There's a ton of awesome information being thrown around in this thread and it's all correct. You can definitely use the 05-10 struts/shocks on your 11+ as long as you run the GT500 Strut mounts!

Other then that, deuce106 ordered up the recipe for a great handling street car! Keep in mind, grimace is correct with the alignment. After you get everything installed and dialed in, we recommend an alignment just so you don't get excessive wear on the inside of your tires!

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

So I would need the gt500 mount AND the camber bolts? I was under the impression I needed one or the other. I was always planning on getting an alignment. I would not skip out on that regardless. If I went with the SR springs 1.5 inch drop, would the camber bolts be required? I know they are cheap, but if I don't need them, I don't want to waste the money. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD.ken View Post
So I would need the gt500 mount AND the camber bolts? I was under the impression I needed one or the other. I was always planning on getting an alignment. I would not skip out on that regardless. If I went with the SR springs 1.5 inch drop, would the camber bolts be required? I know they are cheap, but if I don't need them, I don't want to waste the money. Thanks.

GT500 mounts don't offer any (real) camber adjustment. You can install them backwards for slightly less negative camber but that is an inaccurate way to go. Camber bolts aren't really required but if you would like to keep camber as close to stock then you can use them. Another choice would be to use Steeda HD upper mounts instead of the GT500 mounts and you will get 1 degree of camber adjustment, completely eliminating the need for camber bolts.

FYI, I installed my suspension with only GT500 mounts and no camber adjustment. Total camber came in at -1.7 degrees both sides and that is just within factory specs. I have been inspecting my tires very closely for the last 15,000 miles or so and have never had in issue with inner tread wear.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
You still need to get an alignment. Changing the geometry is irrelevant compared to loosening suspension fasteners and replacing major suspension components. While the car may track straight you could be damaging your tires right now.
I'm guessing you didn't read the post?
" I checked the alignment and it had not changed from stock - no reason for it to, since I did not lower the car and change the suspension geometry.
A performance shop in our area did the modification work. They put the car on their alignment system after the work and the alignment was well within the stock specifications. They made no adjustments. Checking the alignment, after working on the suspension, is a very good idea.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I'm guessing you didn't read the post?
" I checked the alignment and it had not changed from stock - no reason for it to, since I did not lower the car and change the suspension geometry.
A performance shop in our area did the modification work. They put the car on their alignment system after the work and the alignment was well within the stock specifications. They made no adjustments. Checking the alignment, after working on the suspension, is a very good idea.

I did read you post. For your benefit and everyone else who wasn't there when you got your work done I will always recommend to get an alignment. That doesn't mean adjustments need to be made, but to have an actual technician put the car on an alignment machine. You were vague on that part. How many times have you heard someone say they 'checked their alignment' by looking at their tires and the fact that their steering wheel is straight? I'm simply not a fan of ambiguity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page