What's with the stock grills? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

What's with the stock grills?

I've always wondered, why do the mustang's stock grills have barely any opening in the 05-todays? If anything it looks like these block off some air to the intake.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR31100010AA_2010_Mustang.gif
Views:	789
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	168094   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-09 GT front-end.jpg
Views:	3799
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	168095  

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
ive been wondering the same thing, and every aftermarket grille i can find, atleast for the 3.7 that is, is just something you screw on over the stock grille so they block the airflow even more.

2016 Mustang GT 5.0 Magnetic Metallic Performance Package
Interior - Recaro Bucket Seats, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Diode Dynamics LED Visor Mirror Lights, LED Glove Box Light, LED Trunk Light, and LED Map Light
Exterior -Dealer Installed Shelby GT350 Racing Stripes, SunTek Carbon 15% Tint, Diode Dynamics LED Switchback Blinkers, LED Reverse Light
Performance - MBRP Race Series 3" Catback
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I wondered the same thing, but looking at the bottom opening it is a pretty big opening. Maybe?

What's with the stock grills?-blacked-out-front.png

2011 5.0 Gt Premium, Black,Stone Interior,400A, Shaker 1000,3.55 Gears, 19" Pirellies, Air Raid CAI, Roush Axel Backs, Bama 91 performance Tuned, Roush body package.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
PONY Member
S197 Member

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire009 View Post
I've always wondered, why do the mustang's stock grills have barely any opening in the 05-todays? If anything it looks like these block off some air to the intake.
It's more aerodynamic, and thus more fuel efficient.

Since the air intake isn't forced induction opening it up wouldn't make a bit of difference as far as engine performance goes, but the added drag caused by more air being funneled into the engine compartment with no proper exit would reduce speed and fuel mileage.

However, living in Texas, the one thing that does worry me is restricted air flow through the radiator. I really worry about the car overheating if I ever get stuck in stop and go traffic in 110 degree weather.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I'll :?: the aerodynamic (respectfully) I can not imagine the solid flat surface of the grill being more aero than the same shape with openings.....I suspect the Tsat will just open more but don't know.

I will say I have never had a car that gives heat from the heater core quicker than this one. Even in upper 20's/lower 30's I have heat by the end of my driveway/street which is about 1000' I drive slow down it in 1st gear about 15 mph just almost coasting downhill.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

It's for efficiency and emissions the quicker it warms up the less emissions u emit. And surprisingly u get better mpg's. And don't worry about over heating our rad cooling fan can keep up. Last time I we to Vegas only a few months ago on the 15.climbing outside temp was 127 degrees!!! It's an 18mi climb and I ran my AC non stop temp didn't budge an inch so dont worry about over heating

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2011/Kona Blue/Auto/V6/2.73's
Purchased 8/9/10
Mods: Bama 91s/Spintech Axleback/K&N Drop in
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
5POINTO

Mustangs don't have any grills, leave those to Weber and 50 Cent. Mustangs have grillEs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have a feeling they will make up for it when Ford shoehorns the big corporate-look frowning fish mouth grille onto the 2015s.

:kooky:

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Apprentice
S197 Member

IIRC, the filled in portions of the grille on stock Mustang's are to meet the standard Ford company policy on snow intake. I read that somewhere during a Ford discussion on the Boss program.

Race Red 2012 Mustang GT Premium 5.0, 6-Speed Manual Transmission, Brembo Brake Package, HID Headlights, Navigation, Comfort Package, Rear View Camera, Saddle Interior - Airaid Cold Air Intake/MGW Shifter/5.0 Floor Mats/ Bondra Clutch Extender/Flowmaster Outlaw Axle Backs/Boss Side Pipes/BMR Upper & Lower Control Arms/Steeda Shock Tower Brace/Moroso Oil Catch Can/2013 LED Fog Lamps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in