got my resonators cutout today and im suprised - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

got my resonators cutout today and im suprised

got my resonators cut out at a local shop for $50...i think he said he replaced them with 2.5 pipe and welded it in and immediately i can tell a difference at idle and at WOT, wow...what a difference it made, especially considering the rsonators were ALMOST straight thru..just the bend and inserts...pretty happy at this point.

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona blue, 400A, GT package 5, 6 spd, JLT CAI, JLT oil seperator, BAMA 93 race tune, Borla ATAK exhaust, 3.73 gears, Brembo package,19" wheels, HID headlights, Steeda Ultralite Springs, Steeda LCA's, Steeda Panhard bar, Steeda upper third link, resonators deleted, MGW short throw shifter, painted coil covers, BOSS 302 fascia with fogs, BOSS 302 splitter, billet ant., silverhorse fuel door, redline hood struts, MT UHP Street Comps 403 RWHP and 383 ft torque on Dynojet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

What did you notice? sound or power difference.

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You get a sound difference, but that's about it.

2011 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium w/ Bassani Race axle backs, Heartthrob X-pipe and over axle pipes, Bama Tune, 3.73s, JLT CAI, Boss intake manifold, Brembos, JLT oil separator, Ford Racing adjustable shocks and struts w/ H&R Race springs, Whiteline front and rear sway bars, 18x10 SVE Drifts w/ 305/645/18 Pirelli slicks
Texas World Speedway PB 2:07.9
MSR Houston PB 1:58.8
2003 Roush F-150 Stage 2 (daily)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFORCE View Post
You get a sound difference, but that's about it.
More drone & rasp sound I guess

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
PONY Member

I have been to three different shops from local to chain and all wanted at least 2.5-3 hours of labor plus parts. I actually picked up a 3" piece of stainless with plenty to replace the resonators. Was going to buy adapter/reducer from them and labor costs were still the same. Everyone I have seen got it all done for less than $100 and that included parts.

2012 GT Premium 400A 6R80 Kona on Charcoal
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
More drone & rasp sound I guess
He's running Borla ATAK mufflers so he won't get any drone regardless of resonators ornot. More rasp? Yes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012GTMustang View Post
got my resonators cut out at a local shop for $50...i think he said he replaced them with 2.5 pipe and welded it in and immediately i can tell a difference at idle and at WOT, wow...what a difference it made, especially considering the rsonators were ALMOST straight thru..just the bend and inserts...pretty happy at this point.
Why would he put smaller pipe back in than what the stock setup comes with. Id bring it back and make him put in 2.75 or 3"

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke985 View Post
Why would he put smaller pipe back in than what the stock setup comes with. Id bring it back and make him put in 2.75 or 3"
That 2.5" is hardly going to matter at all. Besides, the resonators are 2" necked down. They're not straight through.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke985 View Post
He may have used a smaller pipe so he could slip it inside the factory pipe a bit so he would not be welding a butt joint. Would make for a mechanically stronger joint.

Not the way I would have done it though. I would have used the same size pipe and expanded the ends a bit to slip over the factory pipes. I think all muffler shops have this capability.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice

the guy at the shop used the 2.5 in bc the 2.75 would've been much more expensive and since the inside diameter of the resonators is only 2 in anyways (i think) i said that was fine..had seen alot of replacements done this way etc...as for diffrence, i didnt notice anything in power but in sound..its noticably louder without any drone bc im running Borla ATAK's and to be honest, i havent noticed any rasp yet either..if there is any, its negligable...well worth the $50 and only took bout 35-40 mins

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona blue, 400A, GT package 5, 6 spd, JLT CAI, JLT oil seperator, BAMA 93 race tune, Borla ATAK exhaust, 3.73 gears, Brembo package,19" wheels, HID headlights, Steeda Ultralite Springs, Steeda LCA's, Steeda Panhard bar, Steeda upper third link, resonators deleted, MGW short throw shifter, painted coil covers, BOSS 302 fascia with fogs, BOSS 302 splitter, billet ant., silverhorse fuel door, redline hood struts, MT UHP Street Comps 403 RWHP and 383 ft torque on Dynojet
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012GTMustang View Post
the guy at the shop used the 2.5 in bc the 2.75 would've been much more expensive and since the inside diameter of the resonators is only 2 in anyways (i think) i said that was fine..had seen alot of replacements done this way etc...as for diffrence, i didnt notice anything in power but in sound..its noticably louder without any drone bc im running Borla ATAK's and to be honest, i havent noticed any rasp yet either..if there is any, its negligable...well worth the $50 and only took bout 35-40 mins
Im guessing he had that laying around and probably didnt want to cut into a new stick of pipe for your car for 2 little pieces of pipe. But yeah the inside diameter is 2" of the resonator. I had mine done for 70 bucks and he used 2.75 in pipe and expanded out the ends to fit over the stock as mentioned in a previous post . Im not saying it would have made a difference in volume of sound id just rather have everything the same and flow be continuous and not choked down at some point any little bit.

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
PONY Member
S197 Member

Saw no rasp increase whatsoever with GT500's when I removed my resonators. Just louder and more throaty. No drone either.

I suppose with different mufflers it may make it sound raspy. To each his own though, glad the OP is enjoying his mod!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Rookie

I have a 3" X pipe in the garage, and my local muffler shop is going to weld it on along with 3" pipe all the way back to the axle (deleting resonators) for $150. That is with them supplying the 3" pipe between the X and axle back. Cant wait for spring!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page