warranties and mods - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
code rz gt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Flagler County
Posts: 148
 
warranties and mods

Having read many stories about losing or not losing warranty coverage due to mods,let me tell you what it was like in the 60's. In July 64, I took delivery of a1964 1/2 Mustang 289 K code motor, 271 HP. Ford had standard 2yrs. or 24,000 mile warranty, unless you had a high performance engine. A high perf. engine was defined as any engine with solid lifters these were warrantied at 90 days or 4,000 miles, this was on the drivetrain, the rest of the car had the standard warranty. If you did any type of modification they would void yore warranty, a modification could be anything from headers, traction bars, cheater slicks just about anything, I wouldn't doubt if you took off your stock hubcaps and put on a set of baby moons some dealers would void your warranty.
As far as customer service was concerned, in those days those two words should not be used together in the same sentance. There were no toll free.

phone numbers to call Detroit, long distance calls were very expensive back then. I 'm writing this to let those that are reading this to let them know what it was like back in the day as opposed to the way things are done today. Now most dealers are customer friendly, and will work with you, if not you have customer service reps. and toll free numbers to Detroit. We had none of this back then no lemon laws, no consumer protection angencies nothing to help us. On a side note I lost my warranty the first month, I put on a set of headers, rejetted the carb. traction bars, and re worked the dual point distributer. What the Hell I was only 17 yrs. old. Sold the car in May of 66 when I got drafted, I never had to have any work done I blew one clutch which I replaced myself. Hope you enjoyed this bit of history.


2013 GT Premium, red candy, saddle leather, auto.electronics pkg.reverse sensing.
D.D. 2013 KIA Rio SX good little car (wife's car)
code rz gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member
 
5.0 Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: San Carlos Park
Posts: 2,337
               
Henry,I am an old goat on hear myself,289-271 HP Mustang bought it new had a blast,the good old days,wouldn"t trade them for the world,now 2011 Mustang GT(stock) can"t afford to not have a warranty anymore S/S won"t pay for it,HEHE.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

5.0 Coyote is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member
 
randeez11's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,842
 
I was around in those days. Remember the high performance cars were driving the companies nuts. people would by them bolt on slicks , take them to the drag strip and beat the crap out of them all weekend. Monday, they were back at the dealer with blown engines, broken rear ends, damaged transmissions.
i remember going into dervice at a GM dealer and looking at a brand new Chevelle in there.( 1970)motor was out , a 454 and all the bearings were spun, crankshaft was torn up.
I couldnt afford a new one then. Now that I can, I bought a brand new GT when the new 5.0 came out. Vowed to myself to keep it stock and have a full warranty. Said, besides, Im too old to work on cars anylonger , crawling around on floors etc.lol
2800 miles and 2 years later car has different exhaust, aluminum driveshaft,short throw shifter,Supercharger and drag radials. So much for remaining stock lol. But Hey, when it comes out in the spring, the powertrain warranty period is up anyway ( 3 years is up)
So no turning back now.

I remember those 289 hypo Mustangs well. They were rare then ,and really rare now.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
randeez11 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012
Apprentice
 
Papa Bear's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Gilroy
Posts: 52
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I was around in those days. Remember the high performance cars were driving the companies nuts. people would by them bolt on slicks , take them to the drag strip and beat the crap out of them all weekend. Monday, they were back at the dealer with blown engines, broken rear ends, damaged transmissions.
i remember going into dervice at a GM dealer and looking at a brand new Chevelle in there.( 1970)motor was out , a 454 and all the bearings were spun, crankshaft was torn up.
I couldnt afford a new one then. Now that I can, I bought a brand new GT when the new 5.0 came out. Vowed to myself to keep it stock and have a full warranty. Said, besides, Im too old to work on cars anylonger , crawling around on floors etc.lol
2800 miles and 2 years later car has different exhaust, aluminum driveshaft,short throw shifter,Supercharger and drag radials. So much for remaining stock lol. But Hey, when it comes out in the spring, the powertrain warranty period is up anyway ( 3 years is up)
So no turning back now.

I remember those 289 hypo Mustangs well. They were rare then ,and really rare now.
Just a heads up but power train warranty on all new ford's is 5 years and 60k. 3/36 is just the bumper to bumper warranty
Papa Bear is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Hellobatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: HTX
Posts: 397
 
This is true.^ I haven't decide if I screwed myself or not bc my bumper to bumper is 8 years. 😳


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2013 GT Premium, Brembo's, Track Pack, 6MT, Recaro's, Reverse Sensors/Camera, GT500 A/B, BMR Springs, Strange 10-way Adjustables w/GT500 Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, 20" Staggered Vossen CV2's/Nitto Invo's.....BMR UCA/Bracket, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets being done soon.
Hellobatman is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
BOSS Member
S197 Member
 
randeez11's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Windsor
Posts: 4,842
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
Just a heads up but power train warranty on all new ford's is 5 years and 60k. 3/36 is just the bumper to bumper warranty
You are correct. My mistake. Still , I think
I screwed up the warranty anyways lol. Thanks for the correction though. Guess ill wait a while on the 2012 V6 before screwing up the warranty on that car lol

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
randeez11 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012
Banned
4.6L Member
 
2Manystangs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 12,438
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by code rz gt View Post
Having read many stories about losing or not losing warranty coverage due to mods,let me tell you what it was like in the 60's. In July 64, I took delivery of a1964 1/2 Mustang 289 K code motor, 271 HP. Ford had standard 2yrs. or 24,000 mile warranty, unless you had a high performance engine. A high perf. engine was defined as any engine with solid lifters these were warrantied at 90 days or 4,000 miles, this was on the drivetrain, the rest of the car had the standard warranty. If you did any type of modification they would void yore warranty, a modification could be anything from headers, traction bars, cheater slicks just about anything, I wouldn't doubt if you took off your stock hubcaps and put on a set of baby moons some dealers would void your warranty.
As far as customer service was concerned, in those days those two words should not be used together in the same sentance. There were no toll free.

phone numbers to call Detroit, long distance calls were very expensive back then. I 'm writing this to let those that are reading this to let them know what it was like back in the day as opposed to the way things are done today. Now most dealers are customer friendly, and will work with you, if not you have customer service reps. and toll free numbers to Detroit. We had none of this back then no lemon laws, no consumer protection angencies nothing to help us. On a side note I lost my warranty the first month, I put on a set of headers, rejetted the carb. traction bars, and re worked the dual point distributer. What the Hell I was only 17 yrs. old. Sold the car in May of 66 when I got drafted, I never had to have any work done I blew one clutch which I replaced myself. Hope you enjoyed this bit of history.
yeah and it was this type of mentality that led to the rise of the Japanese takeover of the car market...Detroit still can't compete and this board is littered with threads on poor customer service from dealers...I have an Infiniti to drive, a Mustang to play with
2Manystangs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1