Steeda Billet LCA's installed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Steeda Billet LCA's installed

For anyone who's followed some of my modifications, you may know that I already upgraded most of the suspension. PHB, Upper 3rd, springs, shocks/struts etc.. Most people said that the upper control arm and lowering was enough to cure the wheel hop. It did get rid of most of it for me, but not all. After my initial round of suspension mods, I had some clunking from the rear. I was fairly certain it was the UCA, as it sounded like it was coming from underneath the back seat, and only seems to happen when you generate some torque lash. Additionally, since installing the upgrades, it really felt as though the drive line was a bit sloppier than stock.

Fast forward to today: Steeda Billet LCA's. This was more of an impulse Christmas buy. I knew they had to be better than stock, and well, they're shiny!! Did the install on the lift. What I had heard was a pain, the e-brake cables, was actually quite easy. Even getting them back on was easy. Getting the control arm bolts out is a royal pain in the ass. Especially the chassis bolt. I did not have a break bar, and as Steeda says to do this install with the suspension fully loaded, the 'ole ratchet didn't have much clearance between the bolt and the lift lol. I managed to use a 15lb pipe wrench as a hammer, and was finally successful in loosening the damn thing up. Greasing up the bushings is easy and fun. Until you try the balancing act of installing the arm itself while holding the steel washer on the outside, trying not to touch the greasy parts (which for the record, is IMPOSSIBLE), thus smearing up your shiny new LCA. All in all, a very straight forward installation!

The result? Holy crap. Not only is the wheel hop gone, but so is my clunk! And to top it off, the drive train feels far tighter than it did the day I drove it off the lot. It even feels like it shifts better! I'm truly shocked at how much of a difference this made. The drive train slop is entirely gone. Maybe the stock LCA's became the weak link after the initial round of upgrades? Too much of a novice to say either way. All I know is, I highly recommend getting rid of those stock control arms!

Pics or it didn't happen:

Stock:

Steeda Billet LCA (after a rainy test drive):

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013
tj
PONY Member

Great write up and we appreciate the support.

Glad to see you are enjoying them.

Best Regards,

TJ

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks for making a great product!

Black 2013 GT Premium | Track Package | Recaros | GT500's | JBA H-Pipe | Borla Over-Axles | OEM GT500 Spoiler | Koni Yellows | Steeda CAI/Tune | Steeda Ultralite Springs | Steeda Adjustable UCA/PHB | Steeda Billet LCAs | MGW | Forgestar F14's

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013
tj
PONY Member

Yes ... we can to that
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Glad you had success with the Steeda Billet control asrms. I put them on and they did nothing to solve my wheel hop problem. They looked nice though.it wasnt until I added the relocation brackets that the wheel hop stopped. I also have ther Brembo package.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Sorry to hear that. Mine is lowered and has their upper control arm as well, so that may be a contributing factor. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013
Rookie

Wow - thanks for posting this. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Steedas just the other day, but talked myself into the fact that since I've got Eibach sportline springs, I should also probably invest in the relo bracket. After seeing your pic above and the significant up angle towards the rear axle of the arm, that'll be a must buy for me as well.

Thanks...

'13 DIB GT Premium w/Brembos. Roush Axle-back, Eibach Sportlines, Steeda Billet LCAs, SCT w/BAMA tune, JLT CAI
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VettKilr View Post
Wow - thanks for posting this. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Steedas just the other day, but talked myself into the fact that since I've got Eibach sportline springs, I should also probably invest in the relo bracket. After seeing your pic above and the significant up angle towards the rear axle of the arm, that'll be a must buy for me as well.

Thanks...
Agreed! I may wind up investing in relo's as well once I get the car on the track. For now though on the street, the wheel hop seems to be gone.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013
GT Member

Nice job, when i installed mine i remember how different the rear end felt just with that ,the rest of my suspension parts came after

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page