2013 V8 Driveshaft Noise - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Mines been at the dealer since Monday, they gave me a rental Monday evening. Last I spoke to my rep, they had tried changing the pinion angle and if anything it made it worse. They also tore the rear open and measured run out and tolerances, again nothing even close to out of normal. They had the car on a rolling rack? Of some sort, and said you most in definitely hear the noise outside the car. If I recall correctly, I think ford was having them start replacing parts till it goes away. Will keep you all updated.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanestang View Post
I have a 2012 V6 base. Sometimes on deceleration my gear shifter would vibrate, I would accelerate and it would go away. My best guess is the famous driveshaft for the V6. Plan on replacing it anyway with a aluminum one.
This may be a common condition if it is the same one in the TSB,

2011 MUSTANG - 3.7L DUAL MASS VIBRATION. "SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.7L ENGINE AND MT82 MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A VIBRATION FELT IN THE SHIFTER, AND/OR THE SEAT TRACK AND STEERING WHEEL, ON DECELERATION BETWEEN 3500 AND 2000 ENGINE RPM. THIS IS A NORMAL OPERATION CHARACTERISTIC AND NO REPAIRS ARE REQUIRED OR RECOMMENDED."

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyyci View Post
Mines been at the dealer since Monday, they gave me a rental Monday evening. Last I spoke to my rep, they had tried changing the pinion angle and if anything it made it worse. They also tore the rear open and measured run out and tolerances, again nothing even close to out of normal. They had the car on a rolling rack? Of some sort, and said you most in definitely hear the noise outside the car. If I recall correctly, I think ford was having them start replacing parts till it goes away. Will keep you all updated.
Hmmmm, wonder what they did to change the pinion angle on a car with no factory provisions for doing that. Wonder if they put a couple of big techs in the back seat? :hihi: But what is weird is that on mine, the noise does seems a bit worse with a passenger in the car. And that would be changing the pinion angle ever so slightly.

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Got the car back, no progress. But they haven't given up. I'm dropping it off Saturday morning. I leave for a week vaca, Sunday morning and they are keeping it the entire time. I'll see if I can get a full list of what they did, I picked it up after hours today.

Banned

The list of attempted fixes would be appreciated, Oyyci. It will help me to narrow down the problem at my end. Did you ever ask the dealer what frequency (hertz) they were reading the noise at?
Banned

Check 'yur pm, Occyi . Any new info?
2011must

I had actually traded in the car because after several pinion angle adjustments and looked at by several professional alignment/suspension shops in my area and as well as changing out the rear gears twice and all that is included and putting 2 different DSS driveshafts and nothing changed I had given up and had thought it was unexceptable for a brand new car . Good luck
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sorry guys. I've been super busy; I went on vacation and have been trying to catch up since. I dropped the car off at the dealer request Saturday before my vacation, they were going to work on the car while I was gone. This was Saturday 3 weeks ago today. They called me Thursday or Friday of that week to tell me they believed it to be the rear locker and they were ordering a new one. The downside was the parts were on back order till April 9th. Uhhhhhhhggg

They gave me a rental in the mean time, a base model Toyota Camry. By no means a replacement for the loaded Mustang I paid for. RJ from the region ford customer service has been in contact with me the entire time. She had put some sort of priority rush on the parts my dealer ordered in the hopes to resolve this quicker.

Move forward a week or so, now we're up to Monday of this week. The dealer calls and wants to know if I could swap out the rental they gave me for another. I kind of knew this was coming because when I went to pick it up originally, they had run out of rentals and had given me a brand new rental car (7miles on the odo). And I noticed the manager in back did not seem too keen on letting the car go with me (I look young, I'm 24). So they swapped me another Camry that's exactly the same except it has 6000 miles and is a different color. Seems like a waste of my time but, whatever. When I get there to swap cars I am met with good news! My parts came in way ahead of schedule!

Here's where I start getting a bit more upset. I ask if it will be done Tuesday or Wednesday, and he danced around the question and says they want to make sure it's right before giving the car back. Hmmppff fine I see where this is going, i left without a definitive plan.

I call Tuesday to check on progress. And at this time they inform me they don't have room in their schedule till Friday(yesterday) to start working on it. I dropped my car off nearly 3 weeks ago and I get pushed back more? How long have these other scheduled patrons been waiting, I'm pretty sure not 3 weeks. And I'm fairly certain they aren't brand new cars, purchased from your dealer, with less than 3000 miles on them.

Now, I feel up to this point I had been super understanding and super patient. But I had to blow off a little steam. I emailed RJ at ford voicing my displeasure and weening confidence in ford. The car has been in the shop for nearly a month(that I made 440$ in car payments and 160$ in insurance) and I haven't gotten to drive it. The car is not even 6months old and has 2700miles. Common now. And there seems to be, at least in my mind, some possibility that these parts won't fix it.

Now, without me asking, RJ offers to submit my payment receipt for this month to be paid by ford. I am very gracious and that is awesome of ford, hopefully it goes through. She also has the dealer top my gas tank and tells them to detail it when finished. Again, I'm grateful. But I decline at least the wash, because I'm super anal about paint care and products I use on her.

Now up to current times. I did not call for an update yesterday, I was busy at work and was already having a bad day. Last I had heard from anyone, the current ETA is Monday, at latest Tuesday. That is if this fixes it.

Sorry for the phone book sized post. But that catches you up on my experience thus far. I don't think I've been asking too much of ford.

PONY Member

What is a rear locker?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

The torsen diff is what I guessed they meant. I'm not sure why why they called that. I'm not very versed on gears and rear ends so you must excuse my terminology. I come from all wheel drive turbo Japanese cars so gear changing was not a common thing. The best way I can describe what I'm thinking it is by the way they described is; they think its the Torsen part of the diff. The parts that make it limited slip per say. I'll have them explain and clarify later. I just want my damn car back.

PONY Member

Gotcha. I wonder if a gear swap could cause that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have a 2011 v6 auto and the day after I got my gears swapped from 2.73 to 3.73, I feel a very bassy note and vibration in the seat on decel only within the range 0f 60-80 mph. I'm on the stock driveshaft. I called my gear shop and they said it had nothing to do with the install, but that it was the driveshaft. There is also a faint whine at those speeds. Based on what's been said in this thread, I'm thinking this might be a 3.73/ stock driveshaft issue.

Current Mods: 19x8.5 Charcoal AMR Rims, Bama Tune 93H, Airaid CAI, FRPP Sport Axle Backs, FRPP 3.73 gears, Boss/CS/GT500 Rear Diffuser, GT500 Rear Spoiler, GT500 Mud Guards, Raxiom Reverse/License LED Lights, OEM Take off Black Charcoal Leather, GT500 Steering Wheel, Auto Headlights, Chrome 3.7 Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Dark Matter Tint

Future Mods: Matte black GT500 Stripe, Black Billet Grilles, Stillen Front Chin Spoiler, Roush Side Splitters, Painted Mirror Caps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaseleblanc View Post
I have a 2011 v6 auto and the day after I got my gears swapped from 2.73 to 3.73, I feel a very bassy note and vibration in the seat on decel only within the range 0f 60-80 mph. I'm on the stock driveshaft. I called my gear shop and they said it had nothing to do with the install, but that it was the driveshaft. There is also a faint whine at those speeds. Based on what's been said in this thread, I'm thinking this might be a 3.73/ stock driveshaft issue.
Yep, characteristic of drive shaft related noise. When you went to the 3.73 gears you upped the speed of your drive shaft considerably. I think the stock shaft's design is sensitive to this as most issues are noticed with 3.73 or deeper gears. With 2.73 or 3.31 you would have to be driving considerably faster to get the shaft up to the speed to notice the issue.

I'm becoming more convinced the real fix is a quality aftermarket drive shaft. I think that is where I'm heading.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyyci View Post
The torsen diff is what I guessed they meant. I'm not sure why why they called that. I'm not very versed on gears and rear ends so you must excuse my terminology. I come from all wheel drive turbo Japanese cars so gear changing was not a common thing. The best way I can describe what I'm thinking it is by the way they described is; they think its the Torsen part of the diff. The parts that make it limited slip per say. I'll have them explain and clarify later. I just want my damn car back.
It will be very interesting to see if this does it, Oyyci. We are experiencing the same symptoms and I have the standard limited and not a Torsen.
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That's why I'm worried it won't fix it. I was pretty sure yours was a different rear than mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page