2013 V8 Driveshaft Noise - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2013 V8 Driveshaft Noise

I did a quick search and haven't found anything. My car between 68 and 75 mph has a low rumble/vibration which I am guessing is driveshaft noise. So much so, that I often drop below that speed to make it go away. Everyone knows a 65 speed limit means you go 70. :hihi: The car only has 2200miles and its done it all along, it's just bugging me more now that I'm settled into the car; especially since I drive 45 miles to work on a 65mph limit highway. I know, I know, mustangs aren't meant to be quiet. I can put up with tire noise and engine rumble; but this low humming/rumble/vibration annoys the living hell outta me and is much louder than road/tire noise.

I was wondering if anyone else ran into this, and what the dealer did to fix it. I'm gonna call and make a service appointment tomorrow and would like to go in educated with possible solutions.

Thanks ahead of time,
Chris

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

It could be many things other than your drive shaft,Diff bearings,wheel bearing,tires, U JOINT have Ford check it out for peace of mind.

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013
Banned

Yep, been dealing with the exact same thing on my 2012 also with 3:73 gears. I've been in touch with others on this forum with the issue too. Dealer replaced drive shaft and had a slight improvement. Then they replaced the pinion flange saying the runout was too much. No improvement. So then they balanced the drive shaft on the car with a couple of hose clamps (yea, I know.....). A little more improvement but still there. I'm convinced it's driveshaft and 3.73 gearing related due to the fact our drive shafts are spinning a lot faster than on a 3:31 geared car.

My rear end was rebuilt wth new ring, pinion and bearings due to a whine so I don't think those parts are contributing to it. I'm just about ready to attack it myself with a carbon fiber one piece shaft 'cause I just don't know if the dealer can do anything more, but maybe I should pursue that (they will probably think I'm nuts). Please let me know if you discover a fix.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yep I remember our pm conversation. I was hoping this thread would pull a couple others from the depths of the interwebs so that you and I may find an answer.

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013
old_goat

Add me too, I think.

Whine from the rear passenger side at around 55 mph and over. I took a mechanic from the local Ford stealership and it happened during acceleration or keeping the speed at the same level. They said it was happening at 'tip', because when I took the foot off the gas, the whine went away. The claimed it was normal on Mustangs.

Now, read this from the March 2013 edition of Motor Trend, page 76.

".........we liked the Mustang quite a bit on the road, despite a rather noisy whine under load on the freeway."

This was a 2013 GT manual, with 3.73 gears.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013
Banned

No, different problem that is also fairly common. The op and I are experiencing a very low rumble noise that is really heard more than felt. Kind of a deep resonance like a very low bass note. My dealer measured it at 35 HZ.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyyci View Post
I did a quick search and haven't found anything. My car between 68 and 75 mph has a low rumble/vibration which I am guessing is driveshaft noise. So much so, that I often drop below that speed to make it go away. Everyone knows a 65 speed limit means you go 70. :hihi: The car only has 2200miles and its done it all along, it's just bugging me more now that I'm settled into the car; especially since I drive 45 miles to work on a 65mph limit highway. I know, I know, mustangs aren't meant to be quiet. I can put up with tire noise and engine rumble; but this low humming/rumble/vibration annoys the living hell outta me and is much louder than road/tire noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_goat View Post
Add me too, I think.
Whine from the rear passenger side at around 55 mph and over. I took a mechanic from the local Ford stealership and it happened during acceleration or keeping the speed at the same level. They said it was happening at 'tip', because when I took the foot off the gas, the whine went away. The claimed it was normal on Mustangs.
Hey guys,

I recommend you bring your vehicles in to your Ford dealer as soon as possible for diagnosis and let me escalate this to the customer service manager of your area. Please, make an appointment with any Ford dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I have the same sort of issue between 40-50 in 5th gear... Rumbly/vibrationy sort of roughness over 40 in 5th... I thought it had something to do with a wheel being out of balance but I just put winter wheels on and it's still there. Some days better than others, some days awful. I can't feel it anywhere other than my seat and by hearing it....

Bassy tone to it too...

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah, I definitely would not call it a whine. The tranny does have some gear whine, but I'm not worried about that. Now my gf's focus, that thing has got a goofey whine on the highway. i would describe this as a deep base like noise. Like a sub woofer. I experimented this morning, it starts at like 68, is loudest at 71-72, and continues up beyond 75. I couldn't push much more because of traffic and crappy weather this morning.

I made an apt for a ride along with the dealer this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll get you that info this evening Deysha, thank you.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Sounds like a rear wheel bearing going bad to me,let us know what you find out.
PONY Member

If Chris or anyone else cures that problem with an aftermarket shaft, it'd be interesting to hear from them.

Probably irrelivent, but a driveshaft works wonders one the V6s.

`13 DIB, MCA, Perf Pac, Comf Pac, Back Up Camera, MT82, AE Driveshaft, Bama Tune: 93R, BBK Shortys. Borla Touring Mufflers, Air Raid CAI, AM Shift Knob, WeatherTec mats, Stripes and Tint. "Winter 18" GT Wheels and Tires, powder coated black" Redline Hood Struts, Steeda LCAs. Paid Cash.
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjp View Post
I have the same sort of issue between 40-50 in 5th gear... Rumbly/vibrationy sort of roughness over 40 in 5th... I thought it had something to do with a wheel being out of balance but I just put winter wheels on and it's still there. Some days better than others, some days awful. I can't feel it anywhere other than my seat and by hearing it....

Bassy tone to it too...
Let me escalate this for you as well, evanjp. PM me with your info.

Quote:
I made an apt for a ride along with the dealer this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll get you that info this evening Deysha, thank you.
No problem, Oyyci.

Deysha
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I don't think this one will end in me getting a after market shaft. I am in the process of finishing some pilot ratings and can't afford one right now. All that aside, dealer took a ride with me this afternoon. He was very polite and was quick to notice my noise. He is guessing possibly a bad u-joint. He openly said his guy he wanted working on it was going on vacation next week and wanted to know if I wanted it fixed as soon as possible or if I wanted to wait for his guy to get back. I would rather have his best guy on it so I choose to wait and made an appointment for the 12th.
I think I'll probably pick up some pizzas and take the service guys some lunch that day. I'll make a few new friends and get to know the guy working on my car.

Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't think this one will end in me getting a after market shaft. I am in the process of finishing some pilot ratings and can't afford one right now. All that aside, dealer took a ride with me this afternoon. He was very polite and was quick to notice my noise. He is guessing possibly a bad u-joint. He openly said his guy he wanted working on it was going on vacation next week and wanted to know if I wanted it fixed as soon as possible or if I wanted to wait for his guy to get back. I would rather have his best guy on it so I choose to wait and made an appointment for the 12th.
I think I'll probably pick up some pizzas and take the service guys some lunch that day. I'll make a few new friends and get to know the guy working on my car.
Only one u joint on that shaft and I doubt that is the problem 'cause my entire shaft has been replaced. Make sure they hook up the Vetronix vibration analyzer and get a read on the frequency. Mine was around 35Hz. That frequency almost suggests a harmonic coming from somewhere else and being transmitted through the drive shaft. The drive shaft frequency at the speeds where we are picking this up is in excess of 50 Hz. Please stay in touch.
GT Member

I get a deep vibration type sound from mine at around 70 MPH too, and it is a constant noise.

Oh wait, that is my exhaust, Never mind

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page