Anybody tried Michelin Pilot Sports (not Super Sports) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Anybody tried Michelin Pilot Sports (not Super Sports)

It is just time to look at buying a better set of tires to let the Stang perform at it's full capability since I have crappy "knockoff" brand tires on my car now and it just won't hold traction under hard throttle.

I was able to scoop up 4 Michelin Pilot Sports with 50-60% tread life left and no patches, uneven wear, leaks, etc for $455 shipped. I am very ready to get these bad boys on and try them out and I was wondering if anybody else has any experience with these? They are supposed to be here Friday and I hope to get them on Saturday.

I've seen lots of people with the Mich Pilot Super Sports, but you don't hear too much about these.

Michelin*Pilot Sport PS2

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013
Grimace427

Pilot Sport 2's were the pinnacle of tire technology in their day succeeded by the current Super Sports. They will likely wear out in about 20-25000 miles brand new on the Mustang when driven spiritedly and should be quiet and smooth throughout their lifetime.

What is most important is their age and how they were stored. Look at the DOT label for their date of manufacture, it should read XXXX XXXX 46 09(alphanumeric with the last 4 digits being the date in weeks/year). Also make sure they were stored indoors because direct sunlight will cause dry-rot surprisingly quick.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013
PONY Member

Summer only. .

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Well I already bought them but he told me there is no dry rot, leaking, patches, broken belts, unusual wear, cracking etc so I was satisfied enough to buy them. He did say there is some more wear on the inside of the tire due to negative camber but there are lots of clear pictures of the tires and he has a pretty big inventory on Ebay. It looked legit to me.

I did not ask about the storage but the DOT label indicates 4011.

Here is what I bought.

Tire Price Match Plus 10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRICE-MATCH-...p2047675.l2557

20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
Pilot Sport 2's were the pinnacle of tire technology in their day succeeded by the current Super Sports. They will likely wear out in about 20-25000 miles brand new on the Mustang when driven spiritedly and should be quiet and smooth throughout their lifetime.

What is most important is their age and how they were stored. Look at the DOT label for their date of manufacture, it should read XXXX XXXX 46 09(alphanumeric with the last 4 digits being the date in weeks/year). Also make sure they were stored indoors because direct sunlight will cause dry-rot surprisingly quick.
Grimace thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. I hope I didn't make a $450 mistake but if it's not exactly what's advertised and stated in emails, I will ask for a full refund, or go through Ebay or my Credit Card but it seems like this guy does a lot of business with almost 8000 satisfied customers. What do you think? The original price on these used tires would have been almost $600 and I was able to deal w/ him all the way down to roughly $455.00

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013
Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
Grimace thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. I hope I didn't make a $450 mistake but if it's not exactly what's advertised and stated in emails, I will ask for a full refund, or go through Ebay or my Credit Card but it seems like this guy does a lot of business with almost 8000 satisfied customers. What do you think? The original price on these used tires would have been almost $600 and I was able to deal w/ him all the way down to roughly $455.00
What sizes? Brand new they are easily $300+ each so that would have been $1200 for a set. What was the tread depth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghipera View Post
Summer only. .

Not really. Michelin PS2s perform in all weather except snow. Wet performance is benchmarked against this tire.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
What sizes? Brand new they are easily $300+ each so that would have been $1200 for a set. What was the tread depth?

Not really. Michelin PS2s perform in all weather except snow. Wet performance is benchmarked against this tire.

It's a set of 255/40/20s w/ roughly 55% tread on all four. Keep in mind I don't have a brembro car so I'm only going up roughly 1/4 of 1 inch in overall height (from factory settings) and keeping my "meat" of the 255 now (I am running 255/35 right now). I didn't want to go down to 245/40 although those are much cheaper and have more availability/choices. I think he liked the idea of getting rid of all 4 at once b/c IMO he cut me a pretty good deal.

If you click on these links below you'll see the exact tires I bought. Literally, these are the tires I purchased and are in transit. Just scroll way down past the tires he's advertising at the top and you'll see prob 10 up close pics in each link. You have to scroll down a bunch but you'll see them.

Tire Price Match Plus 10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRICE-MATCH-...p2047675.l2557

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghipera View Post
Summer only. .
Luckily, I don't have to drive the Mustang in bad weather anyway. I have a 2006 Focus base model zx4 manual 2.0l duratec I drive unless it's sunny and above 40 degrees

If you could afford a vehicle like this I would highly recommend it. I paid 6500 for that car w/ 65k miles. It's as base model as they come but it definetly gets the job done.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My friend bought a set of dry ps2's for 140 for all four. They are so dry that he loses traction if he punches it at 50 mph. I think if they were dry they would have probably been cheaper than what you paid for them.

1st Time at the 1/4 Mile Best E.T out of 4 passes (Without Ported Intake Manifold):
Uncorrected 2500DA [email protected] MPH w/ a 2.17 60".Corrected [email protected] MPH
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears/ Borla S Type Axleback/BBK Chrome Equal Length Shorties/Lethal Performance Catless H Pipe/JLT CAI/Ported Upper and Lower Intake Manifolds/Steeda 91 Octane Tune/ SR Springs
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I bought some Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, new for my 2008 GT 5sp manual. I have had them for almost 5000 miles now and they are wearing great. I do mostly highway with a few weekend canyon runs and i think they hold the road and ride great. They are quieter than the OEM Pirelli's and have less tire thump on driveways and freeway devider strips. They still look brand new and the handling has improved with better turn-in since they broke in. They felt a bit slippery at first but they have since become very responsive. They now feel very stable in the dry or wet. I am very happy with them and would recommend them.

Chuck
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013 Thread Starter
GT Member

Got tires put on today! Haven't had a chance to push them too hard yet since its 32 deg outside here. I will say this, they are WAY bigger than what was on there before even tho the measurement is rated at only 1 inch diameter larger. The tire tech said they barely fit and no way i could have went any wider at all. He said if i really drove super hard its possible they might rub but they did clear but just barely. I was quite shocked at how meaty these things are. A 255 michelin is quite a bit wider than the POS delinte tires i had on before. Thus the 40 aspect ratio is prob more. My car finally looks perfect. Will post a pic soon

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Discount tire found me a set of pilot sport ps2s since super sports are in production. I went 255fr and 305rear. These tires are fantastic... expensive but worth every penny.

2013 GT, Borla S-type cat back, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Forgestar F14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page