Tire noise is bugging me - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Tire noise is bugging me

Trying to alleviate some tire noise from my car and wondered what I should use?
Thanks

Too many car's, not enough time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
Trying to alleviate some tire noise from my car and wondered what I should use?
Thanks
My Pirelli's have been horribly noisy almost from the git-go (WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH etc). I just live with it. I have 36K miles on the car and looking forward to replacing them when the time is appropriate like maybe at 50K?

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
PONY Member

Do you have the stock P zeros, if so, DITTO. Although I'm pretty sure nothing can be done about it. I have rotated, cross rotated and crossed my fingers, all with no luck. I am just stuck with roar..roar..roar noise at highway speeds until I shell out some cash for new rubber, or trade it in..I do that sometimes.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When the weather warms up I'm installing boom mat sound deadening, doing it more for audio reasons, but the idea is to minimize road noise and would probably be a solution for your tire noise issues...also had tire noise, but cranking the stereo cured that for me.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Same problem here especially on newly paved roads. Need it or not new tires this late spring it really ruins a good ride !!!

2013 Mustang GT 12.41 @113 mph
"Automatic for Drag Racing" Non Premium, Steeda LCA, GT500 Axle Backs, MT Steet Comp Tires 245/40R18 front 275R40R18 rear, Steeda 91 Oct...Tune ......
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
PONY Member

My stock pirellis finally ran out and I got nitto motivos. They ride smooth as silk and the lack of noise is amazing compared to the pirellis.

2011 Black V6 Premium, Saddle Leather, Pony Package, Airaid CAI, Borla Touring Axle-Back Exhaust, 2.73, Security Package, Automatic, 4 Rockford Fosgate Power 5 x 7 Speakers, Side Stripe Delete, Hawk ceramic pads, BAMA Hybrid tune, Nitto Motivo tires.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I noticed it started after dropping the suspension and it only got worse with 11 inches of rubber and 20" wheels. Cranking up the sound system is not really cutting it.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Green View Post
Do you have the stock P zeros, if so, DITTO. Although I'm pretty sure nothing can be done about it. I have rotated, cross rotated and crossed my fingers, all with no luck. I am just stuck with roar..roar..roar noise at highway speeds until I shell out some cash for new rubber, or trade it in..I do that sometimes.
After rotating/balancing, frontend aligning etc I had my tire shop take a look at them. He noted that they were all "cupping" on the edges which would cause them to sing on the road. Since each sings its own tune, their combination of slightly different frequencies causes the WAH WAH sound. I've also been told that noise is a characteristic of a performance tire.

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

The tires have less than 300 miles and as I mentioned it started when I lowered the car. I would like to rip the interior out and add some sound proofing, I just don't know what to use.

Grimace427

Quote:
I noticed it started after dropping the suspension and it only got worse with 11 inches of rubber and 20" wheels. Cranking up the sound system is not really cutting it.
Quote:
The tires have less than 300 miles and as I mentioned it started when I lowered the car. I would like to rip the interior out and add some sound proofing, I just don't know what to use.

What tires do you have exactly?

edit...found your other thread with your new wheels and Nitto tires. I'm not surprised those Nittos aren't very quiet. One question though and something you should have mentioned; that thread was posted late February of last year and you say you only have 300 miles on the tires. Has the car been sitting for an entire year? If so, no wonder they are making noise. Flat spot central!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-wheels-2.html

My recommendation would be to replace the front NT555 tires with the Invos to match the rears.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yes the car has sat up on jacks with nitrogen in them.

GT Member

I don't think it's so much that the tires are noisy, which they kind of are, but that the rest of the interior is so well insulated from wind noise.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
PONY Member

The tires are the noisiest part about the car actually. It's so weird how loud they can be. I think the car would do greatly with another set of tires.

Tires make a huge difference in noise and in ride quality.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Surprisingly putting the stockers back on did not do much. I think now that the tires are actually closer to the body its resonating. Maybe I will try some sound insulating foam.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
I don't think it's so much that the tires are noisy, which they kind of are, but that the rest of the interior is so well insulated from wind noise.
I don't think an abundance of insulation is my problem. The car did not sound like this for the first 8k miles, now it is louder than my Jeep Wrangler on 33in Mud tires. Just imagine the somewhat quiet GT interior with a WAH WAH WAH so loud that 6 blocks on the Shaker 500 cannot mask it. I don't want to buy new tires when these are not even halfway worn out. I think the tires should have some sort of warranty (excluding abuse) to replace noisy or cupping tires.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page