2012 v6 hood and trunk corrosion - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2012 v6 hood and trunk corrosion

Hey I have a 2012 v6 (not sure when it was built).
I've had the car for only 5 months and I noticed a bubble on the hood. I took it to the local dealership and found it out was aluminum hood corrosion. I did some research on this forum and inspected the rest of the car and found more corrosion on the inside of the decklid. Ford has agreed to repair this under the 3 year bumper to bumber by repainting the hood and trunk. I am not satisfied and want a new hood and trunk because I believe this problem will just happen again as the contaminated aluminum corrodes again. The corrosion under the hood seam was causing a perforation almost all the way through the hood. I'm not happy because my my mustang is too new to rot and it's getting bodywork already. I'll post when it's "repaired" and let you know how it goes.

2012 kona blue v6 mustang base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
Banned

I have a lot of little orange dots all over my car. You can't really notice it unless you look close. I have tried washing it several times. Do you have these as well?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

No...sounds like custom paint. Beware of aluminum corrosion/paint peeling on hoods and trunks of 2012 mustangs.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
GT Member

This has been a problem since the inception of this S197 body.

Hood is aluminum and normally will show corrosion underneath front edge of itself first.
Trunk is made of steel, in salt air, or salted streets, lower inside lip of itself may show rust, as paint is thin near seam and sealer at seam.

Not clear where this car is located, parked most of the time. If within 1/2 mile of the ocean air, it very likely could show damage within a year.

Orange spots on other car, most likely industrial fallout from a manufacturing facility or any chimney exhaust..which has in it metal or chemicals.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197gt View Post
This has been a problem since the inception of this S197 body.

Hood is aluminum and normally will show corrosion underneath front edge of itself first.
Trunk is made of steel, in salt air, or salted streets, lower inside lip of itself may show rust, as paint is thin near seam and sealer at seam.

Not clear where this car is located, parked most of the time. If within 1/2 mile of the ocean air, it very likely could show damage within a year.

Orange spots on other car, most likely industrial fallout from a manufacturing facility or any chimney exhaust..which has in it metal or chemicals.
Is this something that the warranty would cover?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
PONY Member

From Cali and Beach in your name. Are you sure it's not the ocean air?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnast52 View Post
I have a lot of little orange dots all over my car. You can't really notice it unless you look close. I have tried washing it several times. Do you have these as well?
That is rail dust that embeds itself in the paint during transport by train. The train's wheels melt off little flecks of metal from the rails and these melt into the paint. Since they are iron they eventually corrode and you are left with small rusty dots all over the car. Happens all the time.

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewr87 View Post
That is rail dust that embeds itself in the paint during transport by train. The train's wheels melt off little flecks of metal from the rails and these melt into the paint. Since they are iron they eventually corrode and you are left with small rusty dots all over the car. Happens all the time.
So can I get it repainted under my warranty?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
So can I get it repainted under my warranty?
Wonder in clay would help

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

My aluminum hood is contaminated and corroded. If ford repaints it it will just corrode again. I wish deysha or Ford would get involved and get me a new hood.

FordService

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoBeach3.6 View Post
My aluminum hood is contaminated and corroded. If Ford repaints it it will just corrode again. I wish Deysha or Ford would get involved and get me a new hood.
Hello PismoBeach3.6,

Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, we will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. Your dealership has determined that a repair, rather than replacement, is appropriate for this situation. Ill be more than happy to review this for you, but wont give any guarantees.

Will both of you please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number? mnast52, also make an appointment with your dealer for diagnosis.

Deysha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page