Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

exhaust note question

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  172773 
#1 ·
For the most part I like the sound of my stock V6 mufflers. HOWEVER, I would like a little more note. I've listened to clips of notes and cannot find a note that's a little more robust than stock. Borla Touring seems to be the best sound of the lot but is still too loud. Flowmasters are OK but in Borlas' arena. Magnaflows sound like sh1t. Pypes? FORGET IT!

Is there anything between the Borla Touring and stock?

#3 ·
I was in the same boat as you, but after listening to lord knows how many clips, I pulled the trigger on the Borla Touring, and they are here waiting for my car to arrive.

Fit/finish is excellent as I expected, and I've yet to hear a gripe or complaint in regard to drone on the freeway. I think it's going to be the "right" system for me.

#7 ·
I was in the same boat as you, but after listening to lord knows how many clips, I pulled the trigger on the Borla Touring, and they are here waiting for my car to arrive.
Do yourself a favor and drill some weep holes in them before they go on...:yup:

#6 ·
I have flowmaster 40 series on my v6 and they are loud enough to wake everyone up in my building and make someone come outside and help me get my car out of the snow, but I only have tips and the two mufflers. To get a better sound out of these mufflers, long tube headers and an H-pype or x-pype will most likely give you the sound I think you are after. Plus the extra horse power is great too. The only downside the header, H or X-pype, muffler, tips, and install will be a good grand to drop on your car.

#8 ·
I have the FRPP Touring which is almost a rebadge of the Borla Touring.

These 2 choices are probably the quietest of the aftermarkets.

Personally I like mine, not too loud under 3000 rpm, no drone after break-in, nice growl at high rpm, no rasp but won't sound like a V8!

#16 ·
I just ordered the Borla Touring as well. I'm actually slightly worried that they won't be enough of a change over stock to justify the price.

If that turns out to be the case, I'll probably add an H pipe to increase the volume a bit more. I should have them on next weekend and will be able to say for sure.

#17 ·
This is what's keeping me from taking the $700+ plunge. Is a few decibels increase in note with only marginal performance improvement at best worth the cost? Well, we received a really nice tax refund.....so maybe? I haven't decided. We also need a new couch. Notice I am using the term "we". My wife likes the cash also and would see the exhaust money only in terms of being able to sit comfortably and entertain with the purchase. It's all a matter of perspective....

#22 ·
I have S types and I don't think they are that loud. Which is fine because the plan includes headers. If you have an auto anything is an upgrade over those mufflers.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away..

#23 ·
If you want to try stock GT mufflers, I have mine sitting around, would probably let them go fairly cheap. so far have just kept them in case I decided I didn't like the Outlaws I bought. I don't see the Outlaws coming off now, just might add the boss pipes. I think I might wake the dead if I do....:evillol: The outlaws are rather loud already, lol

#24 ·
I didn't think the GT's would fit the V6. Am I wrong?

#25 ·
If they had Corsa Sports for V-6 that would be IT.

#28 ·
Thanks for the feedback!!! I more than likely would be disappointed and my penny-pinching wife would be furious as a result. Anyone ever considered inventing a device that would allow you do select or dial in any number of exhaust notes? The control mechanism would be mounted on the dash and could be integrated in the SYNC or MYTOUCH system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.