Dome light rattle drove me crazy, so I fixed it. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
RonX91

Dome light rattle drove me crazy, so I fixed it.

Ever since I put subs in the trunk the dome light housing has been rattling really bad. I'm switching from a sealed to a ported box today, so with the rattle going to get even worse I decided to attempt to fix it.

I got some blue tape to help damper the sound and went to town. This is what I did first;

http://i.imgur.com/1y4rKMl.jpg

The goal was to put tape anywhere wires would potentially rattle against plastic. I also put a piece between the car and the wire harness on the roof,

http://i.imgur.com/sR83aY8.jpg

Put it back in and the rattle did go down, however it was still there with the bass turned up higher. After looking in to it more I discovered the source; the plastic clip that holds the wiring harness in to the car was not a snug fit. It was loose enough to cause rattle when it shook from bass.

You have to use a fair amount of force to pull it off, but basically just grab the harness on both ends and yank on it. The plastic clip will eventually come out. Here is a pic of the harness hanging without the clip.

http://i.imgur.com/JwXCy2g.jpg

Take a knife or a screw driver to lift up the little piece that is latching itself on to the harness and slide it out. The culprit is below;

http://i.imgur.com/g26Lb95.jpg

Putting everything back together with tape in appropriate places to prevent wires from hitting plastic / the car, I now have zero rattle coming from the dome lights. I'm willing to bet those of you experiencing dome light rattle from muffler drone can fix it the same way. A dealer will say you need to replace the entire dome light housing, which isn't true. My dome lights are slightly loose, but that is not what was causing the rattle.

This was just a quick experiment to see if it was easily fixable. I'm going to take dynamat and put a thin layer all around where I put tape at eventually, but for now the rattle is 100% gone. Now to tackle the rattle coming from the rear window area!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

sweet, nice info.....

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a rattle from my dome light after installing a 12' sub too.

How difficult was it to remove the dome light? I'm debating whether of not I can do this myself or taking it to a professional. I was even thinking of purchasing some dynamat and taking it to a dealership to see if they could install some in the dome light. Does the dome light pop out without removing any of the roof vinyl?

Any info would help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Apprentice

Woot! This was bothering me I'm def going to do this! Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014
Apprentice

Not to bump it so fast, but what subs did you use? I have an L7 that I used in my prior car (Challenger) but don't think it'll fit. I also noticed that apparently the lower door speakers are 8 inch subs? What did you change the doors to? Mid-bass speakers?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014
Rookie

Any word on the difficultly of removing the dome light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page