Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are Aftermarket Intake Systems Really Better than Stock?

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  sammyseahawk34 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at my next move upgrade wise, and it seems the JLT intakes are quite popular here. But then I saw this video with one of the mustang designers with Jay Leno. Skip to about 4:45 and he is talking about the Boss intake: 2013 Mustang Boss 302 - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

He claims that it maxed out for the vehicle. Granted this is a Boss, but I feel the GT's are just a few steps behind anyway. What are your thoughts? Is this a maxed out intake minus a Bama Tune or any other reprogramming?

I would like to get the Boss Intake manifold eventually, but would like to save some money if I can keep the stock cold air in place. Thanks guys. Happy Friday!

G
#3 ·
I have the Steeda with the Bama tune but I'm not so sure that the CAI adds anything it terms of H/P. Looks yes, but H/P i highly doubt it. That Ford Eng was pretty adamant in that the aftermarket one's can't/don't out perform stock.

#8 ·
intake

I like the way Ford did the intake system. I went front 275 HP in my old stang to 412 hp in "Sweet" with the coyote engine. I'll put my money into driving school so I can use what I got.

My 2 cents

#9 ·
The Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air. Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

We did a dyno test with our CAI vs. Stock Airbox and these are the results we have found.

Best Regards,
TJ

#10 ·
I like how they did the quad exhaust. Now when they say the cai doesn't improve, are they speaking specifically for the boss or is that all the late models coming out now?

#11 ·
Yes the new Coyote is maxxed out from the factory that's why a tune/CAI/catless x pipe yields 30-40whp gains on some.:evillol:

#12 ·
But of the horsepower none comes from the filter/intake. It's all tune and exhaust. That's what Leno is asking, and that's what the Ford engineer is saying.

#13 ·
It seems to me Leno is very clearly talking about a CAI not the actual intake manifold. I don't think there is anyone who would argue the merits of aftermarket intake manifolds in general. Not all of them are better than stock but the ones that are generally make a big difference. Also, I don' think a Ford engineer would specify the Boss 302 intake manifold as being maxed out knowing the Cobra Jet manifold was on the way.

Personally I look at the gauge on my 13' GT and the intake air temp equals ambient air pretty much anytime the car is moving (so the "cold" in cold air intake is meaningless (FYI this is true in almost every vehicle on the road)). I don't think there are any gains to adding an aftermarket CAI alone, and I think the ones that require a tune get all of their benefit from the tune not the intake. That being said, when you look at supporting upgrades, IE headers, x-pipe (cat delete), and even boss or CJ intake manifolds then you change the equation. Once you give the motor the ability to flow and process more air, then you must provide a source that will support more air flow. Engines are, after all, basically air pumps.

In other words, the CAI alone is useless, you can add just the tune and be in the same boat. But if you are going to add the other supporting modifications then it would be worth the money.

G
#14 ·
I'm not going to jump on either side of the CAI argument, but I would like to point out the likeliness of a Ford engineer saying part XYZ can be improved by the aftermarket is slim. Of course they are proud of the work they did building the car and they did a great job, but to say this part is already perfect or that part is already maxed out is not true when taken literally.

#17 ·
Ford also claims the motor and trans is maxed out from the factory.

The motor, yes, IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF (iterating several times for people who don't fully read) you take into consideration that when changing out any engine parts, you realize you have to get a tune to see any performance gains and maintain the stability of the engine such as changing to a bigger intake. Leaving the FACTORY computer parameters as FACTORY (the brains of the entire system), and yes, I would say it's maxed from the factory. But maxed out as a whole? Obviously not. :hihi:

#18 ·
Just a couple of observations...not judgements.
1. The only reason a CAI requires a tune is because the "intake tube" has a different cross-sectional area. That means that the MAF calibration - air flowing over the sensor - is measured incorrectly. Most likely, the only thing different in the tune is a corrected MAF flow table - doesn't have anything to do with how much air actually flows at any given RPM - just the correct measurement.
2. Additional airflow capacity only means something when there is a significant "flow restriction" in the air system. Flow restriction is a function of total airflow. Most likely, the only place any "flow restriction" will occur is at very high air flow rates. Air flow rates are a function of engine displacement and RPM - think of the engine as an air pump. Flow restriction is unlikely to occur until the RPM, and air flow rate, gets very high.

#19 ·
In other words, a part will only provide gains if it is causing or is part of an airflow restriction in the fancy air pumps we call engines. Improving air in, only helps if there is already excess capacity to get air (exhaust) out. Since modern engines are designed with a great deal of precision, I doubt you would see any improvement from the intake alone.

It's also possible that, since part of the tune would no doubt be to raise your rev limiter that you would see gains at the peak due to achieving higher RPM's which would require more air (possibly more than the factory box/filter can provide), but its doubtful you would see much from the intake itself unless you clear the exhaust restrictions as well.

G
#20 ·
For a DD and moderate use, my research indicates that you are better off with the factory intake system. I am going to replace my paper filter with an AEM replacement and leave it at that. However, the show appeal of a CAI, plus the sound effect, makes it desireable for many. Many of the changes we make are for our own satisfaction, not for practical purposes. People who buy Mustangs are often enthusiates, and as such, will never accept the idea that there are no improvements needed.

#21 ·
The sound novelty does get people going. I'll admit, it's kinda cool. And mine is really loud too, at least to me, anyway. If I'm cruising on the freeway next to a divider or median with the windows down, you could EASILY mistake the noise for something leaking like your AC, even with my stupid loud exhaust gurgling along.

G
#22 ·
I had an Airaid intake on mine. It's a "fun" modification. I didn't notice a power difference. It's sort of a frivolous purchase. It makes lots of noise, looks kinda neat, and the install is short enough to only take a beer or two, yet long enough to make someone feel like they did something useful.

#29 ·
Loud CAIs are the axle-backs of intake systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.