Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

traction problems when turning 2013 mustang GT

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dastefster 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so I searched around for another thread for this and couldn't find one. Anyway I have a 2013 mustang GT with the track pack and I'm having some traction problems. It only happens when turning (left or right it doesn't matter). I don't have to have the pedal to the metal for this to happen if I make a turn at anything above very, very "conservative" it happens. It feels like the tires are slipping almost like wheel hopping when I turn. I do have J&M Lower control arms and this doesn't happen when accelerating in a straight line so..I don't think it's "wheel hop" but it feels like the tires are "hopping" when I turn. I'm thinking it's a problem with my torsen diff not working properly. Any thoughts? Anyone have this problem? Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I had the clutch packs go.in my differential. Mines not a track pack though. Symptoms were chatter and clicking from the back tires on low speed turns. Take it to the dealer.

#4 ·
You are experiencing the effects of the "Traction Circle." Bottom line, the harder you turn the car - either left or right - the less traction there is to allow forward motion/speed.......and wheels spin. Don't want to flood this post with math, but following two references do explain the effect you are seeing. It is all very normal.

Traction Circle

Traction Circle - Explained - YouTube

#5 ·
mine does it with the tc off but I dont have a torsen diff.. did you add the torsen? I didnt think it comes factory in anything but the boss.

#6 ·
My car is a track pack car which means it came with the Torsen from the factory. I understand the physics at play here guys the problem I have it because my car just recently started having this problem, it hasn't been happening since day 1 and my driving habbits haven't changed.. It's a relatively new thing. & I usually have TC on when cruising around the city.

#9 ·
I know you realize that what you are describing is very unlikely. When you say "if I make a turn at anything above very, very "conservative" it happens", that would mean that one of the tires is loosing traction with a very small forward force applied. The differential doesn't know if your turning. It only knows when one of the wheels looses traction. Since you are down to tires and differential, it sounds like a trip to your FORD dealer would be safer for you and the people on the road around you. Exercise the warranty and give the tech a ride with you to demonstrate what you are seeing.

#7 ·
Is it possibly b/c it's cold out and you have summer tires? just a thought...

#11 ·
:bigthumbsup

OP.. what happens if you give it some more gas?

What temperature is it outside..

The summer-only tires are hockey pucks 40 degrees and below.. have minimal traction 40-60 degrees.. and don't have their intended handling properties until the ambient temp is above 75 degrees or so.

#8 ·
LCA relocation brackets? (I'm getting them in a few days)

My car has done the same thing...ever since I lowered it. It didn't happen before lowering. Is that your experience?

#10 ·
I did not install relocation brackets, and no..I lowered the car very shortly after buying it and never experienced this until recently. It did however start happening shortly after installing the LCAs not sure if that was just a coincidence or not

Is it possibly b/c it's cold out and you have summer tires? just a thought...
ehhhh maybe this accounts for some of it but this happens even when the road conditions are fine, no rain/snow.

I know you realize that what you are describing is very unlikely. When you say "if I make a turn at anything above very, very "conservative" it happens", that would mean that one of the tires is loosing traction with a very small forward force applied. The differential doesn't know if your turning. It only knows when one of the wheels looses traction. Since you are down to tires and differential, it sounds like a trip to your FORD dealer would be safer for you and the people on the road around you. Exercise the warranty and give the tech a ride with you to demonstrate what you are seeing.
yes that is true but if one of the many gears in the torsen is chipped or the fluid needs to be changed than that could cause the diff to "lock up" that was my thought. cause when you're turning the outside wheel is moving a greater distance than the inside which in turn would cause the worm wheels in the torsen to rotate and if something is messed up this may cause my problem? Idk that was my thought process

#12 ·
Torsen don't have clutch plates they have worn gears that work against each other and the case.

Is it acting like spool in the rear if was you hear tires squeel or push/pull on curve road when on and off gas? You can jack rear up turn tire see if other side turns other direction it should Torsen will act like open rear when you do this. Have you checked air pressure in rear tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.