New wheels and speedometer - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

New wheels and speedometer

My 2013 GT currently has 18" factory rims. I want to upgrade to 19". I went out to one of those tire size calculators and entered my old size and the new size.

It said my speedometer will be off by 1.7%. Meaning if it says I'm going 60, I'm really going 61. If it says I'm going 100, I'm really going 102.

Do you think this is really a big deal? The speedometer is very hard to read anyway, so I'm not sure one mph makes a big difference. What is your experience?

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
. . .
Do you think this is really a big deal? The speedometer is very hard to read anyway, so I'm not sure one mph makes a big difference. What is your experience?
I think you already answered your own question . . . you can't even read the speedo that accurately anyway, plus they are usually off a few percent already.

If you are worried about it, you can correct it with a tuner ; personally I would not worry about it.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I wouldn't worry about it either.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

But would it throw off the odo... i mean its little but 200k miles it will be off lol

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
But would it throw off the odo... i mean its little but 200k miles it will be off lol
Yes, but after 200K miles it would only be off 2,700 miles. I would think "no big deal", but I'm not much of a gear-head either....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

On Order: 2014 V6 premium convertable, manual transmission, comfort and electronics pkgs. Ordered: 2/26/13 Build date: 3/12/13. Released to shipper: 3/14/13. ETA to dealer: 3/27/13. Revised ETA: 4/4/13. Delivered 4/3/13
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013
5POINTO

I wouldn't worry about it dude, enjoy the car...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitime View Post
Yes, but after 200K miles it would only be off 2,700 miles. I would think "no big deal", but I'm not much of a gear-head either....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Nice thing is I think it would be off in my favor. I would really have 200K on the car, but my odo would read 197,300.

2016 GT/CS. Automatic, convertible. So far 100% stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page