Coyote mod dilemma: What should be next?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Coyote mod dilemma: What should be next??

I know that this topic may have been beaten to death I'm sure, but I can't really find the exact opinions I'm looking for. I understand this is my car and I will build it how I want it to be, but I like to hear what other Coyote owners have to say from experience!

To start off, my ultimate goal is to have a full bolt on coyote that can be the jack of all trades, but master of none. A quick straight line car, something that can handle a mountain road or two, sounds great, etc. without hitting "race car" status, can still be a comfortable to DD, and still keeping decent fuel mileage.

I just installed the Eibach Pro-system-plus that I received from AM, and it's amazing. The bigger sway bars really compliment the springs, and it didn't compromise the drivability of the car! It has the perfect stance I want (1" drop in front, 1.5" rear), so that part (stance wise) is complete for me. A wider tire is already on my list to compliment the handling in the future, so if you guys have any suggestions to further reduce the body roll of the car, please chime in!

Power wise, the car is pretty quick. With the O/R x pipe, intake, and tune, the car ran a [email protected] in 80 degree weather (btw, this was at Thunder Valley @ Bristol, TN which has a 6 degree track incline and at 2,000+ft elevation, so times are usually below average). My goal here is to break into the 11's at Bristol on street tires (11.99 is good enough for me!). I know dropping the car should improve my 60 foot, but still not enough to break the barrier. My two options here that I've been considering are BBK headers, or the BOSS manifold. The installation time and difficulty of install between the two doesn't bother me considering I do my own work. I'm concerned with power delivery across the power band.

Another option I've considered is a lower gear ratio. I have 3.31's from the factory, but not sure if I want to go with 3.73's. Anyone running a 3.55?

(FWIW, I'm not looking to do a bigger wheel/tire combo just yet. I just put new rubber on the car less than 2k miles ago, so please keep this in mind.)

If I could do it all at once I would, but I'm not a rich man!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013
Banned

Personally, I think you will see better gains with the headers (long tubes) than the Boss manifold. The 3.73's may force an additional shift in the quarter with the potential adversely affecting your times. 3.55's may be the best of both worlds.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

I don't have a Coyote but the song is the same...you want 3.73s, esp w/ a 6spd, EVERYONE who ever has done it loves them...
Really the ultimate bolt on is the supercharger, go from ordinary to world class with some boost...everything else is merely "sprinkles"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I don't have a Coyote but the song is the same...you want 3.73s, esp w/ a 6spd, EVERYONE who ever has done it loves them...
Really the ultimate bolt on is the supercharger, go from ordinary to world class with some boost...everything else is merely "sprinkles"
This is very true. I love some boost and they make for some great gains, but I'm trying to keep this one N/A. I've had boosted cars before and I loved them, but the Coyote responds very well to other bolt on parts, plus I'm not trying to add anymore weight to the front of the car than I have to.

3.73's have been considered a high option, but as steve said, the stock 5.0's usually have to hit 5th gear before they finish the 1320 (of course, that's saying without a tune raising the rev limit to hold 4th). I'm trying to find out what the 3.55 guys are doing before I make that decision. :hihi:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013
PONY Member

Well you never specified what car you had (V8 or V6 and what year) so it's gona be hard to help you. It has to be a V8 since you posted your quarter mile time, but a bit more info woulda helped...not that I know much about mods outside of tunes/Cai's and exhausts

2013 Mustang GT DIB Auto, Roush Axlebacks, Bama Tune and Steeda CAI

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangGT View Post
Well you never specified what car you had (V8 or V6 and what year) so it's gona be hard to help you. It has to be a V8 since you posted your quarter mile time, but a bit more info woulda helped...not that I know much about mods outside of tunes/Cai's and exhausts
Well, unless the new V6's are also called a coyote engine, then that's my fault haha. I guess I just assumed everybody knew what year model Mustang the Coyote would be in.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Upgraded control arms and panhard bar will certainly help the car feel more planted in the corners. Tires are pretty critical too, but I know you said you don't want to do that yet.

Here's what I recommend:

11-14 Mustang Adj Upper & Solid Lower Control Arm Package

05-14 Ford Mustang Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar | UPRProducts.com

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Upgraded control arms and panhard bar will certainly help the car feel more planted in the corners. Tires are pretty critical too, but I know you said you don't want to do that yet.

Here's what I recommend:

11-14 Mustang Adj Upper & Solid Lower Control Arm Package

05-14 Ford Mustang Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar | UPRProducts.com
Thank you sir! I took the 5.0 on a mountain road today, and while I feel much more confident in the corners now with the car being lowered with the sway bars, I feel like I need more without having to upgrade to a wider tire just yet! Much appreciated!

It seems like I'm leaning more towards wanting to have the car handle the twisties a little better.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013
PONY Member

With full bolt ons many are seeing 11s however with tires.
If staying on streets well... its hard.
I know you said bolt on only. however, if your pockets are deeper and you want to stay naturally aspirated you might want to check out : https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...aspirated.html

IDK if he ran a 1/4 mile or not and if so what his time is, but i bet his car is darn capable. And I might be wrong but seeing that he's not making crazy torque might be helpful when on street tires only (less likely to send them into smoke as much as a torque monster)
Apprentice

Garage
+1

Have this pan hard bar on my Coyote and love it!

2011 Performance White 5.0
6MT / Brembos / 3:73 Gears / MGW / Borla ATAK Catback / FRPP K Springs / Koni STR.T / UPR UCA & LCA / UPR Adj. Panhard Bar / GT500 Strut Mounts / GT500 Spoiler / CS Front Fascia & Rear Diffuser / Roush Side Splitters
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LitreRiceEater View Post
With full bolt ons many are seeing 11s however with tires.
If staying on streets well... its hard.
I know you said bolt on only. however, if your pockets are deeper and you want to stay naturally aspirated you might want to check out : https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...aspirated.html

IDK if he ran a 1/4 mile or not and if so what his time is, but i bet his car is darn capable. And I might be wrong but seeing that he's not making crazy torque might be helpful when on street tires only (less likely to send them into smoke as much as a torque monster)
That's very impressive! However, I saw the guy cracked into the internals. Since my last run at the track last year, I'm 7/10's away from breaking the barrier, but that's also a huge gap. The new stance should help cut that time down, as well as some more power later on. If I still can't break it, then I guess my new tires I just put on will just have to sit in the garage. :hihi:
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Want more low end torque? Try: Ford Racing 2011-2013 Mustang GT High Flow K&N Filter with Ford Racing Performance Tune -- M-9603-MGTB ,and there is a bonus: driving in normal conditions will also save you about 3MPG compared to stock.

Edit: Just saw you had a tune already...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Want more low end torque? Try: Ford Racing 2011-2013 Mustang GT High Flow K&N Filter with Ford Racing Performance Tune -- M-9603-MGTB ,and there is a bonus: driving in normal conditions will also save you about 3MPG compared to stock.

Edit: Just saw you had a tune already...
Haha yup, that was the very first thing I did to my car. Thanks for the input though!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Alright guys, so I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad first.

Bad news is my bank account is hating me right now.

Good news is I just ordered some BBK long tube headers and matching X pipe!

I feel like a giddy school girl right now. :laughlitt
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB5.0 View Post
It seems like I'm leaning more towards wanting to have the car handle the twisties a little better.
Right there with ya brother. I love the corners! Just installed new NT05s on my car today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB5.0 View Post
Alright guys, so I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad first.

Bad news is my bank account is hating me right now.

Good news is I just ordered some BBK long tube headers and matching X pipe!

I feel like a giddy school girl right now. :laughlitt

^^Win.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page