Simple DIY installs for non mechanics - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
old_goat

Simple DIY installs for non mechanics

First of all, to set this up, I'm not mechanically inclined toward cars. Growing up I did very basic stuff like oil changes or wiper changes and that was about it. My line of work is in the electric utility field, mainly anything to do with electric meters from a simple house to the biggest plants in the Houston area. After storms and hurricanes hit, I also troubleshoot and repair down lines, refuse transformers and line switches, etc.

As I've mentioned in the past, I've had two bolt on cars, a 2005 Pontiac GTO and a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. All mods were installed by a chosen installer. They did the work, I wrote the check, and had fun. This included CAI, long tube headers, after market torque converters, and some other stuff. All tunes were dyno tunes done by laptop.

So, when it comes to auto repairs and mods I'm a newbie, even at my old age.

A few days ago I received my new BAMA tuner from AM. At that time I had just ordered the hand held tuner, but after reading posts from this and other Mustang sites, I decided to go ahead and get the CAI. Whether one drives a Mustang or GM performance cars, the CAI seems to always be a mod that most everybody ends up doing. I still don't buy picking up more than a small handful of horsepower, however it seems to be one of the first mods most everybody gets. AM took care of me by allowing me to get the Airaid CAI as if I bought it with the BAMA tuner, which gave me a bit more of a discount. AM treated me better than could be expected.

UPDATING THE TUNER WHEN RECEIVED.

Since this was my first rodeo with a hand held tuner (SCT), and since I've witnessed first hand the infamous 'brick', I've been rather cautious concerning the SCT device.

AM/BAMA had sent me the SCT without any provisions for the CAI, I got with AM and they sent me updated tunes with those corrections.

I called SCT and mentioned this tuner was just sent to me and asked them if I needed to update a freshly received tuner. Their answer was yes. I went to their website and downloaded two programs to update the device. That went pretty smoothly, but one of the downloads didn't take and I had to call them again. They walked me through it and the SCT updated just fine.

Now, this was behind me, however I needed to update the SCT with the new tunes that included the CAI.

I tried to do things myself, but was a bit intimidated so I ended up getting with Alex who walked me through it. He and I did just fine. So I went out and loaded up a 93P tune just to see if everything worked fine. Since Alex told me not to run the car without the CAI, I removed the tune and went back to stock. I did drive the tuned car for about 5 miles, but we had some serious rain that day and the streets were very slick. Not good conditions to see what happened to the car performance wise. Trust me, I was dying to get on it and see what differences were in store for me. This all happened on Tuesday.

Friday is test and tune night at Royal Purple in the Houston area and I was really hoping to get the CAI and the tune reinstalled, however I found out Thursday the track was closed this week. My CAI arrived Friday morning, but since the track was closed I didn't have that sense of urgency to get the CAI and tune installed.

I opened up the CAI box and saw all the parts. Since I had two other cars with CAI's I wasn't nearly as intimidated with the install as I was with the SCT.

So, I found the instructions in the box and they weren't really written very well. IMHO they went way overboard, however I found this video (bottom of this post) and I felt they oversimplified the install. The actual install instructions would be midway between the pictured instructions and the youtube video instructions.

Basically the CAI is just another base to hold the open filter, with a different tube to go from the throttle body to the filter. Nothing more than that. I had to remove three hose connections and the airflow electrical connector. It took me all of 45 minutes in a garage with very basic hand tools to complete this remove/install. It wasn't anything that most novices can't do.

Now that the CAI installed, time to reload the 93 performance tune and see what happens. Since I had done this a few days ago, this was a piece of cake.

Now it's 5am in the morning and time to take a test drive. The weather has been great and the streets are dry. There is a brand new road within a few miles of the house that's a 4 lane road, 2 lanes each way, about 3 miles long and no traffic this time of the morning.

Let's just simplify this and say the butt dyno was very impressed with the performance. I did 2 quick pulls from around 0-80, going hard through 3rd gear and the tach was sweeping hard and fast to 7000 rpms, then a hard shift.

Nice.......

No check engine lights through this point and the car seems to run great. Today the wife and I will make a trip to the other side of Houston and have a buffet (barbecue to Chinese to be determined) and see how the car drives in daily traffic.

Lastly, please understand this was written with the novice in mind and I realize what I posted was way too basic for some of you guys. I guess I'm trying to inspire those who may be cautious for these seemingly minor installs that they can do it. It may take help from SCT or BAMA, but that's OK.

Here's the link to the youtube video to install the Airaid CAI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ZJPTPgGTg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Goodjob! I was the same. 1st car I have really ever done any bolt ons to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Kona Blue MT82 V6 Mustang Pony Package 3:31 Gear Ratio, Interior Upgrade Pkg, Security & Shaker500/Sync
Mods (in order of installed): AM Bama SCT SF3 Tuner w/ 87 Hybrid Tune, Airaid CAI, Hurst Billet Plus 2 Short Throw Shifter, Lethal O/R H Pipe w/ Stock Exhaust, Blacked-Out Tints on Rear Windows, Full Ceramic Tint on Front Windows, Metra Touchscreen Dash Adaptor, Single DIN Head Unit, 6.5'' Component Speakers Fronts, Stock Rear Speakers, 10'' Sealed Subwoofer, 4ch. and 1ch Amplifier. LED licence plate lights, LED interior dome lights, FRPP/Dynamic shocks and struts, SR Performance lowering springs, GT500 Strut Mounts, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR Relocation Brackets. Rear Seat Delete.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
GT Member

Nice write up, simple and to the point, and walked through the steps nicely. Very encouraging for those feeling intimidated.

2013 GT 6 spd, GT500 mufflers, BOSS quad exhaust, Roush CAI, Barton shifter & 2 post bracket
CS GT-40 Wheels, Hotchkis sway bars, upper and lower control arms, springs (1.1/1.6 drop) and adj panhard bar KONI yellow struts and shocks J&M caster/camber plates,
BMR Upper control arm mount and lower control arm brackets.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
Apprentice

Congrats on your install. Ups the pride level of your ride too

I have spent a ton of money on Whiskey, Women and Wheels...the rest I just wasted
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
PONY Member

see no need to worry, your on your way to being a pro, all you need is a little confidence, and practice, eventually you will do most of the work yourself

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobavata View Post
Congrats on your install. Ups the pride level of your ride too
It really does.

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
Site Sponsor

Awesome write-up! I think it's perfect for a novice DIY's that needs assistance with the next steps. Sometimes it can be overwhelming and confusing who to ask help from.

Glad you're enjoying the Bama custom tune and Airaid CAI. I always enjoy listening to our Customers first experiences!

Thanks again for the thread!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
J Orbit

For all you cats that have trouble working on domestics, especially RWD ones, try working on an import. You need tiny hands and an extra elbow to get anything done. You'll go back to your mustang with a new perspective. I love working on my car, it's beyond easy. I've done everything myself to-date with jack stands and hand tools. Trust me, be happy you have something as easy to work on as the mustang is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Orbit View Post
For all you cats that have trouble working on domestics, especially RWD ones, try working on an import. You need tiny hands and an extra elbow to get anything done. You'll go back to your mustang with a new perspective. I love working on my car, it's beyond easy. I've done everything myself to-date with jack stands and hand tools. Trust me, be happy you have something as easy to work on as the mustang is.
I had a friend that always said, "Damn Japanese and their tiny hands!"

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page