wheel & tire question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

wheel & tire question

Does anybody know the rim width of the stock 19 inch track-pak wheels?

and also what is the widest rear tire size i can put without having to make any modifications.

2012 Performance White GT--401A, 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker1000, brembo package, eibach pro-kit springs, jlt carbon fiber cai w/ bama tune, roush ab's exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
GT Member

9 inches, a 275 width tire is safe but there are some people who have gone with 285s.

Edit: found an old thread on this
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...mbo-wheel.html

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveShow View Post
Does anybody know the rim width of the stock 19 inch track-pak wheels?

and also what is the widest rear tire size i can put without having to make any modifications.
If you mean the Brembo wheels, they are 9 inches wide and you can put a maximum 275/40R19 on them!

2012 Mustang GT, Lava Red Metallic, Brembo, 401A, Cashmere leather, pedestal spoiler and hoodscoop. Mods - Boss shift knob, Weathertechs, GT fender badges, Steeda Ultra-lites/Tokico's D-specs/Steeda HD mounts & phb/GT500 iso's, 20% tint, Steeda UCA, Roush Axlebacks, Bassani X-pipe, no reso's, Painted lower valances, Boss mudflaps, MMD hood struts, MGW shifter, 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sports all around, Whiteline Sways/LCA's/Brackets, Steeda CAI, Bama 93 tune.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks a lot guys i appreciate the help

2012 Performance White GT--401A, 6MT, 3.73's, Shaker1000, brembo package, eibach pro-kit springs, jlt carbon fiber cai w/ bama tune, roush ab's exhaust
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Hey Wrext, i see in your profile you have 275/40R/19's all around. How is that working for you?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member

I actually got them on about a week ago, so not a heck of a lot of feedback yet, but I can tell you that they do look a bit bigger and they grip a hell of a lot better than the PZero's did! Keep in mind we are at 5-10 degrees up here right now (Celsius).

2012 Mustang GT, Lava Red Metallic, Brembo, 401A, Cashmere leather, pedestal spoiler and hoodscoop. Mods - Boss shift knob, Weathertechs, GT fender badges, Steeda Ultra-lites/Tokico's D-specs/Steeda HD mounts & phb/GT500 iso's, 20% tint, Steeda UCA, Roush Axlebacks, Bassani X-pipe, no reso's, Painted lower valances, Boss mudflaps, MMD hood struts, MGW shifter, 275/40R19 Michelin Super Sports all around, Whiteline Sways/LCA's/Brackets, Steeda CAI, Bama 93 tune.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
PONY Member

Whats the widest I can go with tires on stock rims (18 inches)?

2013 Mustang GT DIB Auto, Roush Axlebacks, Bama Tune and Steeda CAI

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member

The widest is a 255/45R18. I'm assuming its an 8 inch wheel here. There's not really much else out there would work on that size wheel. You are gaining nearly an inch in width, so going to a stickier tire than stock should show big improvements!

Matt

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
Apprentice

275 MAX the general consisence for the 19x8.5 GT/CS wheels???
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Most tire manufacturers list a 275/40R19 requiring a minimum 9 inch wheel, so while it will work on an 8.5, no one that really knows what they are doing is going to recommend it. I see a ton of warranty claims come through that could have been avoided if the retailer had just matched the proper tire to the car/driver. Many things can go wrong out on the road, why add to the chance that something will?

Really the widest you should go on an 8.5 rim is a 255/40R19. Go with a better (stickier?) tire for your needs, don't mask a cheaper tire by going wider in the wrong size for your wheel. A Michelin Supersport in a 255/40R19 will kick the crap out of the stock 245/45 Pzero Nero product for ultimate grip as it's not compromising grip for all-season performance.

This info is on any tire manufacturers website for those interested.

Edit - Always make sure your load and speed rating are correct when changes tires/sizes!

Your resident "tire geek".

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrext View Post
Go with a better (stickier?) tire for your needs, don't mask a cheaper tire by going wider in the wrong size for your wheel. A Michelin Supersport in a 255/40R19 will kick the crap out of the stock 245/45 Pzero Nero product for ultimate grip as it's not compromising grip for all-season performance.

I agree. I just replaced the stock 18" wheels and 235X50X18 Pirelli PZERO Nero tires with a lighter Ford OEM wheel and Michelin 235X50X18 Pilot Super Sports. The improvement in grip is "dramatic" - the Pirelli's had 7000 miles on them of "routine" driving. More grip and less road noise. I think really good tires is probably the best "performance upgrade" you can do for a new Mustang.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page