Waxing with stripes question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Waxing with stripes question

Hey guys I had a question what all do you guys use to cover up stripes on the car when waxing? Cause I am going to wax my car next weekend for the first time and I dont want to get any wax on the stripes. The stripes are vinyl and the wax I am using is made just for black cars so didnt want it to get on the stripes or ruin them in anyway. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

13 V6 Premium Black/Red Stripes, Pony Package, Comfort Package and Security package with reverse sensing system.

Mods: Window Tint, Sound System, Airaid CAI, SR Strut Tower Brace, Eleanor Louvers, MMD Side Scoops, Smoked out tint on all the lights.
Soon to be installed:
Lexani wheels, GT style grille, lowering springs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
Rookie

I would cover the stripes with blue painters tape.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yeah thats what I was thinking but didnt know if it being on there if it would pull off the stripe when was done waxing

13 V6 Premium Black/Red Stripes, Pony Package, Comfort Package and Security package with reverse sensing system.

Mods: Window Tint, Sound System, Airaid CAI, SR Strut Tower Brace, Eleanor Louvers, MMD Side Scoops, Smoked out tint on all the lights.
Soon to be installed:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would use a wax that doesn't stain. Turtle Ice can be used on black plastic. I would see if you can put it on stripes. They may change flat to satin (and be sure to Google search for wax/stripes B4 trying this at home!!)

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I waxed the stripes on my 2010, gloss vinyl can be waxed, but I use Mequiars products and not a color specific wax.
BTW I would tape over them with the green automotive masking take instead of the blue painters masking tape, the adhesives are a little different and the green comes off easier.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks everyone and siber gonna go get me some of that tape. So you havent had any problem with it?

Soon to be installed:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I would use a wax that doesn't stain. Turtle Ice can be used on black plastic. I would see if you can put it on stripes. They may change flat to satin (and be sure to Google search for wax/stripes B4 trying this at home!!)
That's what I use on my stripes. I use normal wax to within 1/2" of the stripe and go over the stripe and the 1/2" with the TWI. It works well on the valance plastic and on the wheels after you clean them to keep the brake dust from sticking as bad.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin
2012 Kona Blue Mustang GT
Roush Phase 2 625HP Supercharger | Black OTT Stripe | 400A | 5.0L | 6MT | 3.55 | HID | SP | CP | BBP | EP | RVC
Mods: Forget it .... too much to list!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
PONY Member

I had the same concern two years back when I got my '12 - I got in touch with the customer Service folks at Griot's Garage and posted the same question. They advised what some here have stated: mask them off with tape. I ended up ordering their tape (gold in color) but am convinced it is the green painter's tape others have mentioned. The tape sticks great, I hit the edges of it with my randon-orbital and no worries. And it does off very easily.

Get some tape and go for it... :yelpleased:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
PONY Member

I used blue tape
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page