Am I supposed to clean my brakes or just the rims? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Am I supposed to clean my brakes or just the rims?

OK so I have used a couple different aluminum wheel cleaners for my wheels and I scrub the whole wheel down including the metal brakes in the front. I don't have brembos, just the 18 inch factory wheels. I noticed that the metal on the brake pad is starting to turn a dark brown so I was wondering if that was because I was washing it?

2013 Mustang GT DIB Auto, Roush Axlebacks, Bama Tune and Steeda CAI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
PONY Member

Are you referring to the metal backing plate that the friction material is bonded to? I would not imagine that cleaning them would hurt anything. It may just be surface oxidation. A pic would help so that others could see to what you are referring.

2013 Red Candy Metallic GT Premium Coupe
Black Leather, 6MT, Comfort Package, Brembo Package, 3.55 Axle
Borla Touring axle back, Suntec CXP 45% window tint, Eibach Pro-Kit, Steeda Strut Mounts, Rear Upper Control Arm and Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
PONY Member

if your cleaning stock wheels, don't use alluminim cleaner
Use a wheel cleaner that says it safe for all wheel types
Like Eagle One A to Z wheel cleaner

The stock wheels are clear coated, so make sure it says safe for clear coat, or all wheel types

Alluminum cleaners will etch the steel rotors, and if you keep using it will wreck your factory wheels

2011 VMPcharged GT Auto, RGR/JPC Motor, Borla Touring, Alum Driveshaft, tuned by VMP [email protected]

Fired up the willing engine, responding with a roar.Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.Wind in my hair Shifting and drifting Mechanical music Adrenaline surge - Rush -

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
Apprentice

You're saying your brake pads are changing colors? Do you mean your rotors by chance?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
PONY Member

I think hes referring to his rotors. And no, you dont clean them unless your using brake cleaner

2012 Race Red GT
6 Speed
Flowmaster outlaw axle back
Everything else stock
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

the metal on the pad will discolor, there is nothing you can do about it. The rotor will get surface rust quickly after washing which will go away when you apply the brakes (also nothing you can do to prevent) fwiw I put a few coats of wax on my rims (inside and outside) every time I rotate the tires (1x year) I also did this at the first wash/wax to get a good coat which aids in cleaning.

+1 on avoiding wheel cleaners. get a good coat of wax and you shouldn't need them

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page