Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2011-2014 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/)
-   -   Looking for tips on driving manual (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-talk/446769-looking-tips-driving-manual.html)

PurposeBuiltGT 04-16-2013 03:48 PM

Looking for tips on driving manual

So I just took delivery of my 2014 GT with track package yesterday. This is the first manual trans car I have owned. I have driven stick a couple of times but my abilities are based off of riding motorcycles. That being said, I am struggling with the infamous first gear start! I don't stall it but the car shudders when it starts moving and the rpm's are below 1K. Initially I hold the car to 2K then slowly let out the clutch and adding more gas while trying not to build revs. I can't figure out if I'm not giving it enough gas or I'm letting out the clutch too quickly or not quick enough! I've seen countless videos and read articles but I would much rather hear it from people who actually drive my car and know its quirks. So any advice would be great!

2Manystangs 04-16-2013 03:52 PM

it's like alot of things, it just takes practice to feather the gas and let the clutch out together, smoothly...

Theocletian 04-16-2013 03:55 PM

Congrats on your purchase. First thing, forget most of what you learned on a bike or else you are gonna burn up the clutch and hop the wheels in low gears.

It is okay to slip a little especially in first. Main thing is to make sure the engine is warmed up otherwise it will buck a ton in first. If it does buck and you are in an open area just clutch in and try again. Just practice and you will get the hang of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Theocletian 04-16-2013 03:58 PM

One more thing, if you are having trouble with starts in first then you can practice just letting the clutch out so the car creeps forward and then giving it gas. Of course you won't do this normally but it will give you a good sense of how the throttle responds under similar load which sounds like could be part of your bucking issue.

PurposeBuiltGT 04-16-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! As tempting as it is, I am limiting myself to driving around the neighborhood untill this is sorted out

rwp 04-16-2013 04:18 PM

You'll get the hang of it quickly. I've taught several folks how to drive a manual transmission car. In my opinion, the right technique is not to run the engine up to a certain speed, but to practice releasing the clutch at the same time as increasing the throttle.....as the clutch is engaged, the load on the engine increases and you need to press the accelerator to match.

Correspondingly, as you begin a shift, as you push in the clutch, lift on the throttle slightly.

Soon the muscle memory of alternating the motion of your feet becomes second nature and you will subconsciously adjust the range and speed of the movement to suit conditions.

JonR2006 04-16-2013 04:20 PM

I had the opposite problem as you do when I first got my 5spd 01 GT. I would rev it too high in first and my clutch would be burning after 10 minutes of driving :D...like the others said, practice makes perfect! took me a good month to feel "comfortable" with my manual skills...a good 3+ months to feel really confident in what I was doing.

I don't think you should limit your driving at all.....the more practice you get the better off you will be and the sooner you will get the hang of it.

Theocletian 04-16-2013 04:21 PM

Also i think 2krpm maybe a bit high for normal starts. I almost always just throttle from idle. Even when i go for a launch i rev to 2.5k max.

JonR2006 04-16-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theocletian (Post 4153169)
Also i think 2krpm maybe a bit high for normal starts. I almost always just throttle from idle. Even when i go for a launch i rev to 2.5k max.

Every car is different. you will have to learn what RPM suits you best for smooth launches. I typically launch in 1st gear from a stop between 1200-1800rpm. You really need to get out there and drive around and enjoy your new 5.0L!!!!!

SV90 04-16-2013 04:26 PM

Lucky for you you have a 400+hp car and since it has hill assist learning stick will be a breeze I second everyones tips.keep practicing n you'll be good in a few days

JBert 04-16-2013 04:28 PM

"shuddering" most likely caused by letting out the clutch too quickly

practice getting it rolling at idle (no throttle) just by going slowly on the clutch; soon you'll have the feel of it, then add throttle

MustangGT2013 04-16-2013 04:34 PM

Try starting out in 2nd gear. 1st gear seems to be great for quick launches. However, for every day driving I start in 2nd gear with the Mustang.

HK_FTW 04-16-2013 04:38 PM

It's easy
1. Start car and hold brake and traction control button till advancetrac is disabled.
2. Apply throttle till tach reads 6500 rpms.
3. Shift into 1st and release clutch as fast as possible.
4. profit.

Ossim 04-16-2013 04:39 PM

+1 to what everyone else said. I taught my brother how to drive manual by putting the gear in first from neutral and having him ease on and off the clutch to see how the car moved. Eventually a lot of it will become muscle memory to your foot.

teedub21 04-16-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theocletian (Post 4153017)
One more thing, if you are having trouble with starts in first then you can practice just letting the clutch out so the car creeps forward and then giving it gas. Of course you won't do this normally but it will give you a good sense of how the throttle responds under similar load which sounds like could be part of your bucking issue.

This is how I learned to drive a stick when I was 16, and it works. You will learn to release the clutch gradually and you will also learn where the clutch starts to grab. Practice this a bit in an empty parking lot, then start adding throttle, then you're on your way to big smokey burnouts!