Looking for tips on driving manual - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Looking for tips on driving manual

So I just took delivery of my 2014 GT with track package yesterday. This is the first manual trans car I have owned. I have driven stick a couple of times but my abilities are based off of riding motorcycles. That being said, I am struggling with the infamous first gear start! I don't stall it but the car shudders when it starts moving and the rpm's are below 1K. Initially I hold the car to 2K then slowly let out the clutch and adding more gas while trying not to build revs. I can't figure out if I'm not giving it enough gas or I'm letting out the clutch too quickly or not quick enough! I've seen countless videos and read articles but I would much rather hear it from people who actually drive my car and know its quirks. So any advice would be great!

2014 GT MT, Track Package, Recaros
Magnaflow Competition Catback, Barton STS w/ 2-Post Bracket, Eibach Multi-Pro-R1 Coilovers, UPR Race Panhard Bar & Brace, SCT Livewire BAMA Tuned, Steeda Ultimate Adjustable Sway Bar Kit, BMR LCA's w/ Spherical Bushings & Relocation Brackets, BMR UCA Mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

it's like alot of things, it just takes practice to feather the gas and let the clutch out together, smoothly...

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
PONY Member

Congrats on your purchase. First thing, forget most of what you learned on a bike or else you are gonna burn up the clutch and hop the wheels in low gears.

It is okay to slip a little especially in first. Main thing is to make sure the engine is warmed up otherwise it will buck a ton in first. If it does buck and you are in an open area just clutch in and try again. Just practice and you will get the hang of it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
PONY Member

One more thing, if you are having trouble with starts in first then you can practice just letting the clutch out so the car creeps forward and then giving it gas. Of course you won't do this normally but it will give you a good sense of how the throttle responds under similar load which sounds like could be part of your bucking issue.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses! As tempting as it is, I am limiting myself to driving around the neighborhood untill this is sorted out

2014 GT MT, Track Package, Recaros
Magnaflow Competition Catback, Barton STS w/ 2-Post Bracket, Eibach Multi-Pro-R1 Coilovers, UPR Race Panhard Bar & Brace, SCT Livewire BAMA Tuned, Steeda Ultimate Adjustable Sway Bar Kit, BMR LCA's w/ Spherical Bushings & Relocation Brackets, BMR UCA Mount
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
rwp
Apprentice

You'll get the hang of it quickly. I've taught several folks how to drive a manual transmission car. In my opinion, the right technique is not to run the engine up to a certain speed, but to practice releasing the clutch at the same time as increasing the throttle.....as the clutch is engaged, the load on the engine increases and you need to press the accelerator to match.

Correspondingly, as you begin a shift, as you push in the clutch, lift on the throttle slightly.

Soon the muscle memory of alternating the motion of your feet becomes second nature and you will subconsciously adjust the range and speed of the movement to suit conditions.

Bill in Atlanta
65 year old kid
2012 V6 manual, Kona blue, stone, w Perf Pack
1999 Miata
2004 Mini Cooper S
1980 BMW 320i
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I had the opposite problem as you do when I first got my 5spd 01 GT. I would rev it too high in first and my clutch would be burning after 10 minutes of driving ...like the others said, practice makes perfect! took me a good month to feel "comfortable" with my manual skills...a good 3+ months to feel really confident in what I was doing.

I don't think you should limit your driving at all.....the more practice you get the better off you will be and the sooner you will get the hang of it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
PONY Member

Also i think 2krpm maybe a bit high for normal starts. I almost always just throttle from idle. Even when i go for a launch i rev to 2.5k max.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocletian View Post
Also i think 2krpm maybe a bit high for normal starts. I almost always just throttle from idle. Even when i go for a launch i rev to 2.5k max.

Every car is different. you will have to learn what RPM suits you best for smooth launches. I typically launch in 1st gear from a stop between 1200-1800rpm. You really need to get out there and drive around and enjoy your new 5.0L!!!!!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Lucky for you you have a 400+hp car and since it has hill assist learning stick will be a breeze I second everyones tips.keep practicing n you'll be good in a few days

2013 GT, Borla S-type cat back, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Forgestar F14
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

"shuddering" most likely caused by letting out the clutch too quickly

practice getting it rolling at idle (no throttle) just by going slowly on the clutch; soon you'll have the feel of it, then add throttle

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Try starting out in 2nd gear. 1st gear seems to be great for quick launches. However, for every day driving I start in 2nd gear with the Mustang.

Apprentice

It's easy
1. Start car and hold brake and traction control button till advancetrac is disabled.
2. Apply throttle till tach reads 6500 rpms.
3. Shift into 1st and release clutch as fast as possible.
4. profit.
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

+1 to what everyone else said. I taught my brother how to drive manual by putting the gear in first from neutral and having him ease on and off the clutch to see how the car moved. Eventually a lot of it will become muscle memory to your foot.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocletian View Post
One more thing, if you are having trouble with starts in first then you can practice just letting the clutch out so the car creeps forward and then giving it gas. Of course you won't do this normally but it will give you a good sense of how the throttle responds under similar load which sounds like could be part of your bucking issue.

This is how I learned to drive a stick when I was 16, and it works. You will learn to release the clutch gradually and you will also learn where the clutch starts to grab. Practice this a bit in an empty parking lot, then start adding throttle, then you're on your way to big smokey burnouts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page