Opinions wanted on AM exhaust videos - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Opinions wanted on AM exhaust videos

Up front: recently bought flowmaster american thunder axle backs for my '12GT from American Muscle (AM). Install, no problem, start up, AWESOME sound albeit louder than the video demonstrates imo. Test drive...someone freekin' shoot me! Ugh, these things sound like the exhaust was blown right into the trunk! Took pics since the tailpipe looked recessed to me and not sticking out far enough to transfer sound behind the car. Contacted AM who conference called flowmaster. Tech said the pics did look like the tail pipes were recessed a little much. Suggested I try loosening clamps and reposition the mufflers but said they would "take care of it" if I wasn't happy. Did as instructed, still just crazy sound...and my hearing isn't what it use to be! Took em off the car after a couple drives, just intolerable for me! Called AM back, no real help from them so am dealing with flowmaster atm. No, this isn't an AM bashing thread, thread would have a lot more in it, believe me!

So, I went back to review the video on AM site and comparing the video of stock vs. the flowmaster, in my opinion, it is far less quiet that the difference I hear from my stock vs. flowmaster.
Just curious if anyone else thinks the same?

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
PONY Member

That drone seems to be common with Flowmaster products. I bought a set of Outlaws because they sounded great online.

After driving around with them installed for about three hours, I removed them because of that annoying drone. I then sold them on ebay.

While videos online can give a general idea of the sound, I wouldn't rely on them. Instead, I check ebay to see how many used sets of a particular muffler are available that look like new. If I see numerous listings, that raises a red flag.

Jim T.
Present: 2018 Mustang GT (MT): Shadow Black

Past: 2007 Mustang GT Premium (MT), 2010 Mustang GT Premium (MT)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
Rookie

I have the American Thunder Kit with the cat back system and I do not think it is loud enough in the car to be honest. I was searching for louder the other day.... I used the hear my fox body like I was behind the car and loved it!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Online video is only a guide, they never sound the same in person as they do on video. So blaming the video is useless.

The only way to know for sure about the sound is to hear them in person.

And just moving the tips back a little won't do anything for the interior resonance.

You can add sound deadening to the floor and trunk and it will help knock the resonance down or you can go back to a more stock type muffler.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
Banned

There's nothing wrong with them. Welcome to Flowmaster. They all drone like pigs except for their mild offerings. Anything more than Pro Series and you're going to be listening to a cow choir. Get GT500 mufflers and ditch your resonators.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
PONY Member

The Hushpowers, their "quiet" axleback. Drone like crazy. I went from stock to American Thunder, to Hushpower to GT500. Hushpower sounded ok just drone and popping issues. Borla and GT500 are the only way to go IMO. I went GT500 because I'm "old school" and can't justify dropping that much dough on some mufflers. I mean we use to be able to pick up 2 chamber Flows for $40 a piece for fox bodies. and they sounded awesome.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

"Online video is only a guide, they never sound the same in person as they do on video. So blaming the video is useless."

Thanks guys/gals? I'm not blaming the video for anything, just personally feel it is false advertising IF the majority see it as I do and it is misrepresented, that's all. What's it going to do for me? Nothing but it might save some other poor sap who goes on the site, says "wow those sound great" without realizing they're really loud. And if it really is that different, I would think Flowmaster would ask AM to remake the video to better represent their product. Funny on my first call to AM Mike was quick to say "those are their aggressive muffler" and "those are one of the loudest mufflers they offer". My issue wasn't with the dB they produced, it is with the horrid noise inside the car! If that's normal, I don't see how any street car uses them.

So the noise won't be transferred better with longer tail pipes? The interior noise sounds like a common trait with Flowmasters. That's too bad. The kids school tech room has Flowmaster banners all over. They're a decent sized company and been around a while. Really expected more from their product. Still waiting to hear back from Flowmaster but my guess is these will be in the classifieds by this weekend...unless mmustang91 wants to swap

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera

Last edited by beviking; 05-15-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: finish
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beviking View Post
Up front: recently bought flowmaster american thunder axle backs for my '12GT from American Muscle (AM). Install, no problem, start up, AWESOME sound albeit louder than the video demonstrates imo. Test drive...someone freekin' shoot me! Ugh, these things sound like the exhaust was blown right into the trunk! Took pics since the tailpipe looked recessed to me and not sticking out far enough to transfer sound behind the car. Contacted AM who conference called flowmaster. Tech said the pics did look like the tail pipes were recessed a little much. Suggested I try loosening clamps and reposition the mufflers but said they would "take care of it" if I wasn't happy. Did as instructed, still just crazy sound...and my hearing isn't what it use to be! Took em off the car after a couple drives, just intolerable for me! Called AM back, no real help from them so am dealing with flowmaster atm. No, this isn't an AM bashing thread, thread would have a lot more in it, believe me!

So, I went back to review the video on AM site and comparing the video of stock vs. the flowmaster, in my opinion, it is far less quiet that the difference I hear from my stock vs. flowmaster.
Just curious if anyone else thinks the same?

beviking,

Sorry you aren't happy with the Flowmaster exhaust! The exhaust videos posted on our AM site are used for a reference when choosing different manufactures & designs. Unfortunately, even with our high definition recording equipment, it's impossible to replicate the exact sound through computer speakers.

Also, the sound is recorded from outside of the car. It wouldn't be a bad idea to offer interior videos too. I think that may help others who want to know about the interior volume or drone, like yourself.

If you're not happy with the tone or volume of the Flowmasters, I think you should check out the GT500 axleback. This is one of the best options for minimum drone and light volume during mild throttle cruising. However, once you step on it they're ready to roar.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I an assist you with.

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
Banned

There's nothing misenterpreted. Opinionated products such as "good vs bad" are not measurable in any metric other than taste which is completely subjective to an individual. I love my exhaust note but I've had others also say it sounds like absolute garbage.

That "horrid" noise inside the cabin, again, is drone. No manufacturer is obligated to address cabin drone unless their products specifically advertise NO drone. Only Borla and Corsa have these claims. Dynomax does too but it's a little loose.
PONY Member

One of the shortcomings of the exhaust videos is that they record the sound outside of the car, and this is not what one hears inside of the car.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Shane but I'm through dealing with AM. I realize this isn't absolutely all on AM, just have had to return too many things or had too many incidents with things I've ordered from AM. There are plenty of other vendors. Again, my complaint isn't with the loudness of the exhaust specifically or that it didn't sound exactly as the video, I get that. I've never encountered drone before and to see others explicitly state Flows have that problem, makes me think there should be a disclaimer. Maybe that's going to far but an interior recording probably wouldn't do much good either since the recordings don't replicate the truth. Oh well.

I agree with nsadams87xx in that personal taste is subjective, no doubt! But I can tell you that the "horrid noise" I hear inside the car I love to drive is NOT the same as the beastly sweet sound coming out from behind the car!

If I have to add nuts/bolts, sound dampening material, I don't want it, personal preference again. Might as well weld up my own mufflers! It's odd that the GT500's are cheaper and have less drone? I guess I put too much faith in a reputable company? I also find it odd that AM recommended dynomat or other noise reducing product after the sale and not offer that info in the description. Must be I'm the first one to every bring this up?

Apprentice

I got the magnaflow street catbacks from AM and couldn't be happier. Not too loud, but not too quiet. After a month or so, it sounds better imho.

On a final note, I'm starting to get "annoyed" at opening boxes/packages from AM. They package everything with such detail and care that its a pain to open them (I hope AM keeps this up - I can certainly deal with this "annoyance.")

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

The "noise" that flowmasters make is what some are looking for.To me flowmasters sound great on fox bodies, 4.6, and pretty good on 3 valve 4.6. but sound like a dump truck on Coyotes. Thats just my opinion, I have been on my own axle back adventure since upgrading to the new 5.0. These motors just sound weird, and it is surprisingly easy to make these cars TOO loud. You don't even have to remove the cats to have an obnoxious exhaust note.

2012 GT Premium, 6spd, 3.73 rear, Steeda shift bracket, GT500 ABs, tint, matte black OTT stripe, Boss shift knob and boot, MMD taillight trim, Infinity speaker upgrade
Previous Mustangs: 91 Lx 5.0 404 rwhp, 93 notch, 98 GTvert slow as hell,99 Gt, 2000 GT, 2001 GT, all manuals and all will be missed, mainly the 91 she was sweet.
PONY Member

Go with Corsa Sports...I'm running offroad X pipe right now and STILL have ZERO drone. I do know what drone is having had the Hushpowers and these Corsas produce ZERO drone with an obnoxiously LOUD exhaust setup on my car.

'14 GT Premium Race Red...6spd manual...3.73's...Steeda A/B's...Steeda CAI...Steeda Gus dialed in tune...Forgestar CF5's + Dark Stars out back...Nitto NT555R's...many more mods on the way...

(Sold) '11 GT Kona Blue...6spd manual...3.31's...Steeda CAI...Steeda Gus tune...Lethal O/R X...Corsa Sport A/B's...Enkei PF01's...etc etc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beviking View Post
But I can tell you that the "horrid noise" I hear inside the car I love to drive is NOT the same as the beastly sweet sound coming out from behind the car!

And it never will be. Have someone drive your car away from you with ANY exhaust system and it will be a completely different experience both inside and outside the car. Blaming and saying you're done with AM is outrageous and frankly, very misguided. You should be done with FLOWMASTER, not AM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page