Depreciation on a 2013 gt/cs convertible - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

These days are way different. The government knows better than you...

I think it has to do with the huge amount of safety equipment that you are REQUIRED to have that gets people to buy a family land yacht. When I was young my mom drove me around in a 1978 cutlass supreme 2dr. I could stand on the back seat and fling myself around, that was fun! My wife was put into a shoe box at a month old for her first road trip.

Our first child was born last August and while I was thinking about putting a seat in the mustang... it just ain't gonna happen. It's safe enough, no doubt. It's just a hassle. A booster seat would be OK, but a rear facing infant carrier or a car seat would be a royal PIA.

Fortunately, our other car is a 2012 Edge and my beater is a 1999 Cherokee so I can transport the little booger in one of those.

[b]2013 GT Premium,Red Candy, 6AT: GT500AB, FRPP tune.

-Democrats are cockroaches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Edmunds, KBB, & NADA Guides are reasonable estimates. But shop around with dealers for the best deal or try selling it yourself.
When I traded my 2005 GT convertible for a 2013 GT Premium Convertible, the difference between (2) dealers only 25 miles apart was almost $6,000. And it was all trade in value as the net purchase price of the new car was within $200 without the trade.
Last year my son traded in his Mustang for an Escape because they needed more room for their first baby (stroller, car seat, etc). Obviously, he misses the Mustang, but is very happy with the Escape.

Dave

2013 GT Premium Convertible
Sterling Grey/Saddle Interior
Automatic/Brembos/Shaker Pro Audio
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
I cannot understand folks that think they need some different vehicle for having kids.

There's no reason why a Mustang would need to be discarded. It can serve just fine as a transportation device for those with children.

A buddy has two sons, and a pimped Camaro SS with gobs of power. Not the least bit of an issue when he needs to pack the boys in and go somewhere.

Imagine the Baby Jesus in modern times....wouldn't he deserve to driven around in a convertable Mustang with the top down?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...13_468x394.jpg
Have you ever tried to get a kid in a car seat in the back of one of these cars? I can't even get in the back seat of mine to do that. Kid friendly? Sure. Baby friendly? Not a chance.

PONY Member

Kid or not...the 18k loss will hurt you and your kid more than not having a larger vehicle. See...your blinded by what you think is the best thing, but in reality, at least my reality, I'm not throwing 18k away for a roomier ride f-that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
glock22357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Have you ever tried to get a kid in a car seat in the back of one of these cars? I can't even get in the back seat of mine to do that. Kid friendly? Sure. Baby friendly? Not a chance.
Yes, I have. I also have friends that have already done exactly that. Rear facing baby-seat in the back? 3 & 4 year old in rear seats? Not hard, unless you're very, very lazy. Pick 'em up, set 'em in the seat, buckle them in. It's actually harder getting the seat installed, than getting the kid in the seat.

Plus, it's a TEMPORARY thing. Months to years.....kids grow.

Again, everyone has this idea that having a kid means getting rid of 2 door cars. It's just not necessary, they can still be used.

I do understand that 4dr. cars are easier...no doubt. I myself would just invest the extra effort and energy to drive something fun and enjoyable.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20trenton09 View Post
Hey, so I've had my 2013 gt California special for a year now, and just found out my wife and I are having another baby, so as much as it breaks my heart to do it, I have to sell my car to get something bigger. Just went to look at trucks and they offered me 30,000 for trade in value. This seems really low to me seeing as I paid 48,000 just a year ago. What do you think a realistic trade in value would be and what do you think my car is worth now? It has 18,000kms on it and it's still fresh
The real problem was paying $48000 for a 2013 GT/CS :?:

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Lol yep. That's a rip off. The gt/cs I was looking at was over 10k cheaper than that.

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
Lol yep. That's a rip off. The gt/cs I was looking at was over 10k cheaper than that.

Two things to note ... he said it was a vert, and he lives in Canada. My '12 GT/CS vert stickered for $44k, although I got them down to $38k (bought in SC).

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoT midlife CS View Post
Two things to note ... he said it was a vert, and he lives in Canada. My '12 GT/CS vert stickered for $44k, although I got them down to $38k (bought in SC).
I think your post made my point

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
PONY Member

If the man wants a different car because of his growing family, then so be it. Yea, he could get by with his Mustang. But it isn't the most practical car when you are hauling a family around. If I had another kid, I too would trade in my Mustang because it is a lot easier to deal with kids when you have 4 doors.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newponyboy04 View Post
i dont know about you but i want the best for my kids. bit selfish not to give you kids the best just so you can have something you want. if thats the case wh have kids at all???
A Mustang is the best.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Ultimately it's his decision, and he should do whatever makes him (or the wife) happy. I have 3 kids though (11, 7, 5) and have no issues with fitting them in the car.

2013 Premium GT/CS 6MT, ProCharger P1 Stage 2, ID1000 injectors, Autometer and 2 Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, SOS A-pillar, Whiteline positive shift kit, 3.73 gears, Kooks headers and catted X-pipe, Lethal engine mounts, Barton 2 post bracket, GT500 shift knob and boot, GT-500 axle backs, Eibach Pro's, Steeda panhard, AMR 19x8.5/9.5 wheels w/GT's, shorty ant, HERTZ- HDP5 amp and Hi Energy 6.5's/Audison Bit 10-D EQ/Audiomobile 12" with custom enclosure
606/505 SAE
J Orbit

Just another hard reminder that 99% of late model "special editions" don't do squat for resale value. The only people that get a stiffy over a GT/CS are other GT/CS owners. Maybe in 40 years they'll bring a tad more at an auction but don't expect the world to quiver becuase of some stripes, a piece of paper and a different interior. IMO the GT/CS is nothing more than a way to get you to part with more $$.

On the other topic: I'm going to drive sports cars until I physically can't. My girl has the practical car, mine is always going to be the fun car. I see a lot of threads where people seem to freak out about a kid on the way and panic to sell their cars. I agree that it's a little extreme given that you'll inevitably lose $$ that could be used for diapers, babysitters and doctor bills.
I've had full-size adults in the back of my car, sure a child seat would be a pain but is it a "sell your fav car, lose $$ and resent kid/wife" kind of pain?
Rookie

So keep the stang and go buy a Truck or SUV for 5K or less if you really need the space. i just got an 03 Ford Excape XLT with 4WD for 5K flat and its only $100 a month to pay on it. don't tell me you cant afford that?
GT Member

i love how most people who said he will "lose" money fail to realized THEY themself lost money once they drove their car off the lot lol. if he wants a bigger car let him get it. why try and tell him to keep his car when he wants something better? he has plenty of other opportunity to buy another stang later on.

i have nothing against stangs but i still think keeping a car you want vs getting something you need is a bit selfish. non of us need a stang. its fun but i would sell mine in a heart beat. if i needed too.

a man's most expensive hobby started with a 97 cent hotwheels

1999 saleen s281sc vert 11k miles #261/421 built 1/170 vert 1/10 exact combo
2000 Roush v6 sport 78k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2013 , california special , depreciation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page