Any solution for softening door slam? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Any solution for softening door slam?

These doors are pretty big n heavy. Any effort to close them more than carefully makes them sound like they slam! Is there a stiffer seal or stop that can be installed to help cushion the blow?

Thanks!

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Holding onto the door handle until the door is shut, either from the inside or out side will somewhat mitigate that disconcerting rattle. My wife seems to be unable to master this technique.

- wfpostle -

2013 Mustang V6, Automatic, MCA Edition, Red Candy Metallic
Window tinting, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Flat black Cobra racing stripes, Magnaflow Street Cat-back exhaust, Diablo tuner with 91-R Bama Tune.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfpostle View Post
Holding onto the door handle until the door is shut, either from the inside or out side will somewhat mitigate that disconcerting rattle. My wife seems to be unable to master this technique.
+1, fiancee continuely accidently slams the door, but is getting better, can overlook this because she is extrmely proficient at something else.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhayes1963 View Post
+1, fiancee continuely accidently slams the door, but is getting better, can overlook this because she is extrmely proficient at something else.
NICE!!! ............Sean
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
LOL..we had this discussion yesterday...they cant seem to grasp (pun intended) the concept.

2013 Boss 302
2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue (sold)
401A, MT82, Brembo, 3.55, HID & Security, Electronics Pkg
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013
PONY Member

+1 on inability of 99% of female passengers to close the door properly.

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
my wife likes to push on the glass....I don't know how many times I told her not too do it. The only way I found too stop a women from closing it wrong..is take her car instead!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Simple solution.......be a gentleman and open/close the door for your female passenger

2010 Performance white V6 automatic: Sold.

2014 Oxford white GT/CS, glassroof, comfort pkg. VMP tune, Borla touring AB, RLT hoodlift
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Why I expected anything else...I don't know!

Funny thing about this car, lots of people want a ride. My wife gets the concept just fine and she knows how to close the door correctly too! Feel like a broken record telling every person including my kids "be careful with the door"! Guess I'll have to engineer something myself! Couple balls of duct tape should work!

'12 GT Premium, Race Red, 6spd, Roush 575SC, JLT Oil Catch Can, MGW shifter, Eibach Pro springs, FRPP Jounce kit, Steeda Adj UCA, Shaftmasters Aluminum DS, J&M Adj Panhard, UPR PH Brace, J&M LCA's, Black C stripe, 1/4 louvers, Boss spoiler w fogs, 19" staggered Chrome GT500's, MGP Caliper covers, 7 bar AM Grill, rear camera
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

We need a vendor to make door stickers that read "Please, do NOT slam the door". Years ago you could buy these said stickers at any Canadian Tire, and most of the time they worked.
My wife was terrible at slamming my door shut, one day I told her, every time you slam the door shut, you can take the subway home from work....she thought I was bluffing, but I followed through, that sure brought instant correction!
"there's a reaction to your action"...funny how fast people can change behaviour!

2011 GTCS Candy Red;Premium leather interior package, Remote start, security package, upgraded speakers, 6MT 3:55. 35% tint all around, Borla "S" axle backs, & clear corners.
The rest is all FORD
Banned

Quote:
It's not that they can't master these techniques, they just don't care.

I've been trying for years to get my wife to set the emergency brake first, then put the car in park. She always does it the other way around. Because our driveway has an incline the transmission always gets stuck in park and comes out with quite a bang. So annoying .
PONY Member

My girlfriend stopped all that after she busted my window on my previous car, which was a 2006 Nissan 350z 'vert. I also hate finger prints on black paint, so I've got most people to only touch the door handle when the get in, and tell them to close the door with the outside door handle. Works, but I get the occasional window grab and it's ALWAYS right after I just cleaned them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual transmission-BBK Longtube headers-BBK O/R X- Borla S Type mufflers- Dolce DC34 Matte Black wheels - 255/35/20 Nexen N3000 all around.
Raxiom halos, all lights smoked, louvers, Tuned by Lund Racing
Apprentice

I know how unsettling it is when the passenger door is slammed. Just tell them nicely but firmly not to do it again or else, they can walk home.

2013 Mustang GT Premium, MT-82
Roush Axlebacks
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 pt oh View Post
?..so I've got most people to only touch the door handle when the get in, and tell them to close the door with the outside door handle. Works, but I get the occasional window grab and it's ALWAYS right after I just cleaned them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I try to do the same gently with my family. Why don't they get it?.

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Banned

My friends would slam the passenger door. I cringed every time... I told them to close it quietly next time. Didn't work lol.

I usually close the door with just fingertips on the outside handle, pushing lightly. It doesn't slam.

If the window is cracked (to let hot air out), it will slam a lot faster than if it is all the way up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page