2011 Mustang GT Rattling Noise, Please Help! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 Mustang GT Rattling Noise, Please Help!

Hey guys, I have not had time to get my car to the dealer.. I am also very reluctant to considering that I have both heard AND experienced horror stories about some cars going to the dealer for service, my past horror story was with Kia which almost led to ANOTHER lawsuit (pending completion of the current one at the time against the manufacturer as a whole) Long story short, I traded that car for this Mustang so that part of my horror story is done. My past experience with any Ford dealer here in San Antonio has been nothing but great but I WILL NOT allow any dealership to play with me again.

Anyways, rant over, now on to why I posted this thread.

I have an odd rattle when shifting that sounds similar to an exhaust rattle. It only happens when pushing the clutch in from first going to second and from second going to third. In addition to the conditions above, it seems to only happen when I shift normally. Sounds funny to say it that way (you would think "duhh" right?) but if I go from first to second "normally" then cruise in second down a slight curving hill completely off the throttle then at the bottom of the hill, clutch in to change gears, the noise does not happen.

My first thought was exhaust rattle. Symptoms seem to be consistent with exhaust rattle, engine is torqued up under load, clutch in relieves the torque causing engine to shift a little, exhaust is connected to engine, so exhaust shifts a little as well. So while I had the car on the rack to install my SLP A/B (before removing any exhaust parts), I checked for any possible way for my exhaust to rattle. Nothing. Not even a squeak. Any ideas on what it may be? I consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined, I've got basic knowledge of engines and engine components as well as components throughout the rest of the car but when it comes to mechanical knowledge of transmissions, I'm just plain stupid lol. I mean, I know the basic obvious things since I've been driving manuals for awhile and I had a really good teacher that taught me things to look for, but as far as internally, I'm stupid.

I really appreciate the help in advance, hopefully I can try and keep my car out of the dealership until I HAVE to take it there.

Whippled 2011 Mustang GT Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat * 2.9L Gen 3 Stage 3 Supercharger * 6MT * 3.73 * ARH Long Tubes and O/R H * SLP Loudmouth A/B * Lund Tuned * lowered 1.5in * MGW 1st gen Race-spec Shifter * Avant Garde M310s 20x9/20x10 with 265/35 Nitto 555s up front 315/35 INVOs in the back *

EXTREMELY fun daily driver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Apprentice

Ive been trying to locate a similar rattle that has been driving me crazy ever since I got my gt500 ab's installed. Sounds horrible from inside the car. Not sure if the sound is audible to others outside the car.

2011 GT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Does yours do it when mine does? Very rarely will it happen going to third.

Anyone else have this issue?

Whippled 2011 Mustang GT Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat * 2.9L Gen 3 Stage 3 Supercharger * 6MT * 3.73 * ARH Long Tubes and O/R H * SLP Loudmouth A/B * Lund Tuned * lowered 1.5in * MGW 1st gen Race-spec Shifter * Avant Garde M310s 20x9/20x10 with 265/35 Nitto 555s up front 315/35 INVOs in the back *

EXTREMELY fun daily driver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page