Oil Catch Can Questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oil Catch Can Questions

Hey Guys,

I've seen a couple of threads on this subject but have a couple of questions about using them on my 2013 GT.

1- Are they only suggested for cars that are driven hard/raced, or would you recommend for my weekend only, gently driven, Mustang?

2- Which brand is best? I've seen references to JLT,UPR, & Moroso.

3- How many catch cans to install? Only JLT seems to suggest possibly using (2) cans, one for each side of the engine, & says that the passenger side is more important.

4- Are there any issues with Ford warranty? I asked my dealer about this & whether they would install the catch cans, but can't get an answer.

5- I realize each state is different, but is there any reason to think these devices could pose problems with emissions testing (I'm in NJ)? I did see one post where someone thought they caused an issue with California emissions testing.

6- Any maintenance required? Do they just screw off to empty?

Thanks for your input!
Dave

2013 GT Premium Convertible
Sterling Grey/Saddle Interior
Automatic/Brembos/Shaker Pro Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Banned

1- Are they only suggested for cars that are driven hard/raced, or would you recommend for my weekend only, gently driven, Mustang?

No, I would definitely get one. I've only gone racing twice and drive spirited a few times a week but I wish I did it a long time ago. My car has 24.5K on it and my manifold was gross. I just installed mine this week.

Any of those will do.

3- How many catch cans to install? Only JLT seems to suggest possibly using (2) cans, one for each side of the engine, & says that the passenger side is more important.

Unless you're racing every weekend, just the passenger side is fine.

4- Are there any issues with Ford warranty? I asked my dealer about this & whether they would install the catch cans, but can't get an answer.

No. And don't pay them to install it. It takes longer to take the decorative cover off than to install the catch can.

5- I realize each state is different, but is there any reason to think these devices could pose problems with emissions testing (I'm in NJ)? I did see one post where someone thought they caused an issue with California emissions testing.

It's technically an emissions violation in some really heavily restricted areas. Just double check to make sure they don't pop your hood and look for that stuff. If PVC systems are not mentioned, then don't worry about it. But then again, I can't imagine someone would really know the difference unless your emissions are done at local shops or something like that and know what to look for. I'd be worried about this much 0.0000000001/100000000000. Just keep the factory hose.

Screw it off. Empty it. Screw it back on.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have one installed and below is my opinion:

No. Any car with a high compression motor can take advantage of one. It is a piece of mind modification. I don't drive my car particularly hard and I always find a few teaspoons of oil in my catch can when I check it at oil change. The oil that is caught would have otherwise ended up in my intake.

I bought a JLT. The fittings and catch can are top quality and it uses OEM PCV hoses.

Most people install one as far as I know for NA motors. I installed on on the passenger side.

It's possible I suppose if the hose failed somehow and messed up the PCV system causing other engine issues, but I think the likelihood is slim. Just check the connections regularly (like everything else) and should be fine.

No idea. I doubt it would cause an issue unless it was defective or installed wrong as it doesn't impede the PCV system.

You can clean the filter too.

2011 GT Coupe Premium | MT82 | 3.55's | 400A | Red Candy/Stone | Security Pkg | Built 7/21
Installed: SVT Axelbacks w/ res delete, FRPP tune, K&N drop-in, strut tower brace, JLT oil catch can, PIAA/LEDs, GT500 splashguards, 27% tint

Sold: Rebuilt 1994 Mustang | Motorsports 5.8L/351W | HD 5M | DF clutch | 9" rear end 3.73s | Cobra 'R' brakes | aluminum driveshaft | street legal in SC (barely)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Beast3.7

If there is some emissions thing, I'm not aware of it. However, you can always pop the OEM Jose back on in 15 seconds. I keep mine in my trunk for some reason lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Apprentice

I didn't know that Ford equipped the Mustangs with your very own Jose. I can't find mine anywhere. :hihi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast3.7 View Post
If there is some emissions thing, I'm not aware of it. However, you can always pop the OEM Jose back on in 15 seconds. I keep mine in my trunk for some reason lol.

2013 Mustang GT Premium, MT-82
Roush Axlebacks

Last edited by Murica; 06-19-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: One word
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

Why would it not be accepted by emissions? You would think they wouldn't mind since it can help keep the engine running more efficiently.

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire009 View Post
Why would it not be accepted by emissions? You would think they wouldn't mind since it can help keep the engine running more efficiently.

Same idea behind breathers granted that is definitely letting blowoff into the atmosphere. But we're also talking about politicians here, not common sense. In Wisconsin, it is 100% illegal to run any non OEM exhaust hardware. The ordinance is written in such a way that this includes additional mufflers that would make the car even quieter. Who follows that rule though? I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............................ .................................................. .................................................. .said no one ever.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks. You guys made it understandable.
Dave

2013 GT Premium Convertible
Sterling Grey/Saddle Interior
Automatic/Brembos/Shaker Pro Audio
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlime View Post
Hey Guys,

I've seen a couple of threads on this subject but have a couple of questions about using them on my 2013 GT.

Thanks for your input!
Dave

UPR's catch cans work very well. Here's is our most popular kit for the Coyote cars:

11-14 Mustang GT 5.0 Dual Billet Oil Catch Can Separators 5.0 Logo Polished - UPR Products

^^These are Made in America, they carry a Lifetime Guarantee, and we offer AFM members a discount.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice

I have a JLT and it literally installed in less than 60 seconds. Very very easy... and works great!!!!!

1968 Red Fastback 289, c4, air, power steering
1989 Black GT 306, t-5, e303, 3.73, weight reduction
2013 Sterling Grey Metallic Premium GT, TrackPack, Recaros, Outlaws, JBA OR-X, Barton Shifter, Barton Two Post, JLT Oil Seperator, Airaid CAI.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murica View Post
I didn't know that Ford equipped the Mustangs with your very own Jose. I can't find mine anywhere. :hihi:
He comes with the manuel shifter :grinroll

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjin'stang View Post
He comes with the manuel shifter :grinroll
This is pretty funny.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
This is pretty funny.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
PONY Member

Just a heads up I purchased JLT catch can for both sides. Drivers side is not needed. I race my car like I stole it and there is no oil to be found in the drivers side catch can. The passengers side about a teaspoon over 2600 hard track miles.

GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Shelby has the cans for sale for $110. Shelby Oil Separator

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page