How Long Can A 2011 Mustang Sit Idle And Be Expected To Start? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
Since this is a 2011, and was probably originally sold at the end of 2010, then this battery would be 3 years old. So perhaps it's near the end of its life?
It's a possibility, but in reality the battery should go even longer than that. I have a 2011 that I bought in November 2010 and it was on jackstands for the last week and a half while I was doing some work to it. It had no problem starting. Try disconnecting your car alarm and see if the problem continues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Just a heads up but if you disconnect your alarm to see if that is the parasitic draw your car likely wont start. If the alarm was installed properly you will need to bypass the "immobilizer" part of the alarm. It is possible depending on the alarm and the install shop, that the starter wire and ignition wires are cut and run through the alarm now....possibly fuel pump power also......and that is assuming you don't have an secondary wireless immobilizer like I had on my old Clifford alarm.

13 GT base, 3.55, Sterling Grey, MGW shifter, BMR LCA's, GT500 AB, silver RTR's, 275/40/19 Michelin pilot super sports, more stereo equipment than I will admit to, more parts to come.

Apprentice

Do you have an iPod, thumb drive or any other USB device plugged into the USB port in the arm rest console?

I've wondered if my iPod is drawing power when my car is off. Sounds like it is from what you guys are saying.

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, SGM, 6 speed auto, Brembo package, back up camera.
MODS - 15/30 tint, LMR shorty antenna, JLT oil seperator, GT500 axle backs.
SOON TO BE INSTALLED - Koni sport "yellow" shocks/struts, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD upper strut mounts, BMR panhard bar

PONY Member

Mine has been at the airport for the last three weeks and I will be super pissed if it doesn't start when I get back on Friday.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp0001 View Post
Mine has been at the airport for the last three weeks and I will be super pissed if it doesn't start when I get back on Friday.
wow that's brave! I get anxiety leaving my car in the work parking lot for 8 hrs.

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 Premium, SGM, 6 speed auto, Brembo package, back up camera.
MODS - 15/30 tint, LMR shorty antenna, JLT oil seperator, GT500 axle backs.
SOON TO BE INSTALLED - Koni sport "yellow" shocks/struts, Steeda Sport springs, Steeda HD upper strut mounts, BMR panhard bar
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Bronson View Post
Do you have an iPod, thumb drive or any other USB device plugged into the USB port in the arm rest console?

I've wondered if my iPod is drawing power when my car is off. Sounds like it is from what you guys are saying.
I don't think it does. I leave my iPod plugged into the USB 24/7/365.
PONY Member

This was a reported problem on the 05-09's. My battery went dead a couple of times on my 07 GT after about a week until I started actually turning the radio off when I got out of the car. It never went dead after that. Went 3 weeks one time in the winter.

I don't think there was ever a true fix and it did not happen on all cars. I always turn the radio off now, even on the 14.

2014 GHIG GT Premium - Track Pack, Comfort Pack, Rear Camera, GT500 mufflers, Boss 302 Grille with stock fogs.
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calchan View Post
That's bs...battery are not designed to last only a year. Most battery should last at least 3+ years.
Really? Does everything work the way it's designed? To save costs it can look the same on the outside and not have the same quality inside. Most of mine have worked well past 2 years but I just replaced the battery on my 2011 ... that was delivered in May 2012.

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
Banned
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to tormenting5.0 Send a message via Yahoo to tormenting5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjys View Post
Really? Does everything work the way it's designed? To save costs it can look the same on the outside and not have the same quality inside. Most of mine have worked well past 2 years but I just replaced the battery on my 2011 ... that was delivered in May 2012.
Like tjys states...everything doesn't work the way it should. I had a 05 Mazda 6s and a 05 Ex XLT, both were new the same month. My mazdas battery died in 2 1/2 years, my Ex lasted over 7 years. It would've lasted longer, but the alt. went and killed it. So IMO if you get a battery that last 3+ years or doing good!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjys View Post

Please stop spreading you bullsh1t nonsense. Most decent battery you buy over the counter have at least 2 or 3 year FREE REPLACEMENT waranty. That alone tell you that it will last at least 3 years. In fact, in 20+ years of driving i don't think i have a battery that last less than 3 yrs. He either have a faulty battery or something is eating away while the car is off.

My Junk POS MT82 and tens of thousand POS mt82 survived TWO winters. How can it be? It's suppose to whine and grind all winter!!!! I love troll myth
2012 GT Premium, Glass Roof, 3.73, MT82, HID+SEC, 401A, MGW shifter, Gt500 muffler, Clear bra, 3M tint
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calchan View Post
Please stop spreading you bullsh1t nonsense. Most decent battery you buy over the counter have at least 2 or 3 year FREE REPLACEMENT waranty. That alone tell you that it will last at least 3 years. In fact, in 20+ years of driving i don't think i have a battery that last less than 3 yrs. He either have a faulty battery or something is eating away while the car is off.
He's not getting it over the counter. Batteries are expendable parts not covered under the warranty which means you foot the bill. Gee whiz Walley, what in the world are you so excited about??

2011 Shelby Convertible w/SVT Performance & Electronics Packages
2011 Shelby GTS V6 Convertible, AT, CAI, Aluminum DS, 3.73, Tune
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I use a battery tender on my 2011 GT,my car sits for 3-4 weeks at a time, battery is always kept at full charge,cheap insurance and extends battery life never had a problem.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcottrell6 View Post
This was a reported problem on the 05-09's. My battery went dead a couple of times on my 07 GT after about a week until I started actually turning the radio off when I got out of the car. It never went dead after that. Went 3 weeks one time in the winter.
That's very interesting because I have been leaving it on. The radio keeps playing until you open the door when leaving the car. I'll try turning it off before I get out.

I'm also suspecting the Viper security system although when I park it in the garage I don't turn it on. Like someone mentioned above, disabling the security system might cause other problems so I will leave that alone.

A trickle battery charger might make the most sense. It just seems silly to have to do this but if that's the price you have to pay to keep the battery from pooching out when the car sits for a week or more, it's a lot better than having to boost it and then drive an hour just to get it charged up again.

2011 Mustang GT Premium | Glass Roof | Steeda CAI | Tune | GT 500 mufflers | Hankook 275/40ZR19 | Tinted windows

[Sold] 2000 Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic | Synthetic Oil | Cold Air Intake | BFGoodrich GForce 245/45/17 | Cobra Rims | Metallic Red | Tinted Windows | Alpine Media Center
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

replace Viper with Trunk Monkey, battery problem solved . . . but then you might have an odor problem . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
V6 Member

No wonder Viper guarantees your car won't get stolen. They kill the battery so it can't be started.

2012 Kona Blue V6 6MT Pony package. 2.73 rear end, comfort package, Charcoal leather interior.

Driving it since 5/09/2011

Mods: Ford Mustang STB, Epco Rally stripe shifter ball, AFE non-oiled Air filter, Airaid mid pipe, GT500 Splash Guards, Ford Racing Rear Sway bar links and bushing kit, BMR rear LCA's, Bilstein monotube shocks, Eibach Pro-kit Springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 5.0 , battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page