Ford Navigation Updates - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
opq
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
The $2300 electronics package is not just a navigation system. It includes automatic dual-zone HVAC and has additional audio features (HD radio, 10GB hard drive, etc.). And the nav is on an 8" screen with voice control - somewhat more than your typical $150 Garmin or Tom Tom.

Yes, it is way over priced anyway but those features aren't available any other way.
The navigation system I can justify the $2300 for the system. It's custom, with a small user base. Fixed engineering cost for a smaller user base = $$$ per user. But what about the maps??? Are there that much more Honda drivers that their maps can be half the price?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

opq
PONY Member

Just looked at the spec sheets for the new "6.0X" release for 2013, and compared it to the "5.1X" release for 2012, and the "3.1X" that came with my car, and wow...

This '2013' map update contains Navteq map data from Q2 2012!!! By the way, as of June 2013, the latest Navteq map data is Q1 2014. These come out quarterly. This latest $199 update, it's almost 2 years old???? (7 releases)

GT Member

Quote:
The $2300 electronics package is not just a navigation system. It includes automatic dual-zone HVAC and has additional audio features (HD radio, 10GB hard drive, etc.). And the nav is on an 8" screen with voice control - somewhat more than your typical $150 Garmin or Tom Tom.

Yes, it is way over priced anyway but those features aren't available any other way.
Doesn't matter, the fact is if you want navigation on a mustang, you have to dish out the 2300, extra goodies or no.

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.

PONY Member

This is a reason why I didn't get the NAV screen/Electronics package. I knew that would happen. $2300 for an outdated paperweight just didn't seem worth it, then paying another $200 for the "updates"? No thank you.

Google maps on the iPhone 5, combined with Siri works well for me. Living in the DC Metro area, where roads and routes change every few months, a map that's 2-3 years outdated is a significant problem.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
opq
PONY Member

As much as I'd like to talk about whether or not $2300 is worth it for the nav system, can we please keep it on topic and discuss the navigation updates? (even though I think this is one of the best navi systems there are and nothing beats not having to wire everything up each time I get in my car)

If you guys think $2300 is too much for the navi system, then you guys will hit the roof about the $199 navi updates
PONY Member

It's a great system. I love the look of it. But, that update price is ridiculous esp if it's outdated already.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
opq
PONY Member

If this was just a map update, I'd be less inclined to update, but the thing that keeps having me come back is this:

"Expanded Speed Limit Data! The 2013 Navigation System update also includes expanded speed limit data that features major roads beyond interstate highways. Be in the know, even when speed limit signs aren’t posted."

I've had this on my Garmin forever, and was a little annoyed that there was no Speed Limit data outside interstates, but I guess this is a 'new feature'...
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

And yet, with all that, it still doesn't provide any way to display your current speed like even the most basic aftermarket GPS can.

I'm thinking of just updating every other year or even every third year. I don't need more frequent updates for the type of traveling I do and that brings the average cost more in line.

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
opq
PONY Member

Quote:
And yet, with all that, it still doesn't provide any way to display your current speed like even the most basic aftermarket GPS can.

I'm thinking of just updating every other year or even every third year. I don't need more frequent updates for the type of traveling I do and that brings the average cost more in line.
Yeah I have the 3.1X version that came with my 2011 (I believe this was the 2010 map year with 2009 maps). So for me updating to 2013 with 2012 maps is a big jump. Besides, with the dwindling demand, who knows if there'll even be any future updates at all...
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks! When you put it like that, it gives me an argument to use with "she who must be obeyed" for buying an update now - it's already three years old!

2011 Pony Pkg. convertible M6
2000 Trans Am WS7 (sold)
opq
PONY Member

Quote:
Thanks! When you put it like that, it gives me an argument to use with "she who must be obeyed" for buying an update now - it's already three years old!
Heh, and even on the Navteq website showing what's on the latest maps (2014.10 is the latest Navteq internal version, I believe the 2013 map update comes with 2013.20), it's missing a few road changes that are a year old out here.

The thing I'm interested in is the 2DVD software update for the system. Wonder what that does. I mean, it's bigger than the map update! I heard 5.1X (the 2012 map update) changed some of the speech commands for POIs in navigation to be more flexible.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks everybody for the info. I have already gone past the 36000 mile warranty so, I guess I wouldn't get it for free. Still, this might be the only updates I get for this 2012 Mustang GPS unit. On the other hand, it works just fine like it is. Maybe not totally up to date but, it will get you to almost any place you want. Would like to see speed limit info at all times though....if the updates show that. Right now, my navigation will only show speed limit info if I have programmed a destination and on an interstate.

2011 White V6 Premium Convertible Mustang
Automatic Transmission
Ford Navigation
Stone Leather Heated Seats
Reverse Camera
Magnaflow Street Axle Back Mufflers
PONY Member

Send a message via MSN to Rorysbrown
My 2012 comes with the 3.1X Version and I'm still within the 3yr basic warranty so are you guys saying I should get the update for free under warranty?

Rory S. Brown from Surrey, BC Canada
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2014 Mustang MCA Edition in Grabber Blue. Previously: 2016 Shelby GT350 in Race Red, 2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange, 2012 Mustang V6 Premium ProCharged in Black, 2011 Mustang V6 Premium in Red Candy Metallic, and 1979 Mustang Cobra in Bright Red (My 1st New Car)
Website www.mymustang.ca
opq
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorysbrown View Post
My 2012 comes with the 3.1X Version and I'm still within the 3yr basic warranty so are you guys saying I should get the update for free under warranty?
I tried but no dice. It only covers defects. Just like how your Garmin without the lifetime maps options doesn't come with new maps.
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Yup, you're right... Ford has basically ignored the earlier versions in favor of MFT. And that is a shame because we both agree that they were not necessarily making things better with the design of their newer versions. Some updates and tweaks to the original versions might have been a better way to go.
Yep, I like the old system way better than My wifes MFT in the Explorer......As you cant even watch a DVD Movie on the new My Ford Touch:laughlitt

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page