Satellite Radio Dropping Out Suddenly - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Satellite Radio Dropping Out Suddenly

So, up until last week, my satellite radio has been flawless. Starting Thursday, it has been randomly cutting out and going to "No Signal" without any rhyme or reason. In areas with very light trees or buildings, it is unusable. If I pass under a bridge for a split second going down the highway at 75MPH, it cuts out seconds later.

I'm also having a very irritating dash rattle and self dimming mirror that rarely self dims, so I brought it into the dealer. The shifter is notchy at all times too, while my buddies is not, so I get to open that can of worms too...... In typical dealer fashion, they kept my car several days and even had someone drive it home only to find nothing wrong at all with everything I brought it in for. But they want to sell me a $200 fuel injection cleaning. I laughed at that.

Naturally, the second I pull the damn car out of the lot after picking it up it begins to act up on me. There is no way they couldn't have noticed this stuff. Since I'm almost out of warranty (just hit 30K, but almost at 3 years), I can see that I'll probably get screwed paying for this when it is up.

Has anybody had this issue with their satellite radio randomly dropping in and out all of a sudden? I'd have to imagine it is an antenna issue, but it is not displaying the typical "Antenna Fault" error.

I have an iPhone camera video of it doing it's thing, but I'm sure they'll just push back on not being able to get it to act up in the shop. I'll either need to fix it myself or show them how to. Thank god for a warranty!

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

2004 Hyundai Tiburon - The winter beater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013
GT Member

That really sucks. I wonder if they just parked it and fixed some other cars that the dealer would make more money on. Keep us posted on the out come. Maybe try another dealer.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah, it's tempting. The other Ford dealer in the area is actually worse.... That dealer couldn't even mount a tire right, no exaggeration.

They put 44 miles on it; apparently the tech driving it is blind, deaf, and dumb. At least he didn't scratch or curb it, LOL.

2011 GT 6MT (Cookie Monster) - The 1/4 life crisis. Brembos, 401A, drop top, Grabber Blue.

1974 Dodge Challenger - The money pit. 408 SB stroker, Megasquirt 2 EFI, 904TF, 3.91 gears. 16MPG and 520HP goodness

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I had the satellite radio issue about 6 months ago. My GPS was not working either. They replaced the antenna under warranty and it fixed the problem. It seems there is a little notch under the OM antenna that allows water under the antenna when you wash or when it rains. This water destroys (shorts) the antenna after time.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
I had the satellite radio issue about 6 months ago. My GPS was not working either. They replaced the antenna under warranty and it fixed the problem. It seems there is a little notch under the OM antenna that allows water under the antenna when you wash or when it rains. This water destroys (shorts) the antenna after time.

Same issue with me 2 weeks ago . Antenna replaced under warranty and now it works fine .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

You should contact Deysha,our Ford Customer Service Rep,She has a way of getting things done for us,that way you don"t have to deal with your dealers BS,give it a try she is a great lady.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I might have to. It was really bad today to the point where I was able to make 2 videos of it acting up to show the dealer. Given the fact it was very overcast, I'm sure it is an antenna issue.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GrabberGT View Post
Yeah, it's tempting. The other Ford dealer in the area is actually worse.... That dealer couldn't even mount a tire right, no exaggeration.

They put 44 miles on it; apparently the tech driving it is blind, deaf, and dumb. At least he didn't scratch or curb it, LOL.
They were definitely going for a joy ride in it.

2013 Mustang GT Premium, MT-82
Roush Axlebacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page