Hows your manual transmision ? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Rasputin, for the "skipping gears" which I would call missing gears it is a good practice to remember the centering springs. I found that when going from 1st to 5th to pull the shifter down while keeping pressure to the driver. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter fwd and let the centering spring find 3rd. Also when going from 6 to 5 keep a firm pressure to the right or you'll hit 3rd (which as you know is entertaining. I also suggest practicing the 5th gear cruising speed down shift to 4th (or 3rd!) for when you need to pass on a two lane blacktop it does take practice but it's both useful and fun.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Rasputin, for the "skipping gears" which I would call missing gears it is a good practice to remember the centering springs. I found that when going from 1st to 5th to pull the shifter down while keeping pressure to the driver. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter fwd and let the centering spring find 3rd. Also when going from 6 to 5 keep a firm pressure to the right or you'll hit 3rd (which as you know is entertaining. I also suggest practicing the 5th gear cruising speed down shift to 4th (or 3rd!) for when you need to pass on a two lane blacktop it does take practice but it's both useful and fun.

+1

This is sorta what another poster said about using the centering springs. I just picked up my 2013 Premium and am quite pleased with the 6-speed on the car. With Traction Control on, my granny could drive it (I said MY granny). The clutch pedal isn't too stiff and shifting is like butter. It's as if I'm driving a 4-cylinder.

The centering spring is nice and strong on this car, so easy to find 3rd and 4th. Just go forward or back, no need to muscle it. I always put a little pressure to the left when shifting into 1st and 2nd and likewise a little pressure to the right when getting into 5th and 6th. I let the lever pause a split second at dead center before going to the next gear, almost like double clutching. No problems downshifting at all; no grinding of gears. The strong centering spring really helps here, otherwise shifting could get sloppy.

It could be they improved things on the 2013 like phospate-coated gears and the optimum tranny oil.

I had considered an auto car, but glad I passed on it. However my car is not a daily driver.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

plz insert 1st to 2nd here.....D'oh

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

PONY Member

My manual transmission? It's been perfection over the last 31k miles. The rear end? That's been a different story. Last year I needed some sort of dust cover replaced as well as the TSB for the rear end vent. Ok, done. Last week, the ring and pinion was replaced as well as the bearings in the rear end. The car was howling wicked loud, with an occassional metallic scraping noise. I thought the howling was due to worn tires. The dealer and Ford took care of me, but I really didn't think i'd ever have a rear end problem with this car.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Anyway, I've only had it for about a week now and logged 1200 miles and I must be lucky.
1200 miles without a problem? Wow you must be lucky. I've only put 47,000 on mine without a problem........
Rookie

I just test drove a manual today! I bought an automatic V-6 Premium Coupe back in March, but am considering a trade.

Wow! What a difference, in a weird kind of way! I have been driving manuals all my life until March, and I must be getting lazy! I found the MT82 to be really kind of sticky and tricky! LOL In a manual you have to think and pay attention to your speed and RPMs and let me tell you, I am rusty.

It really gave me more appreciation for my automatic, in that when one of those little snotty Japanese four bangers try to tailgate me in the fast lane, all I have to do is punch it....and I am gone!
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsupervibe View Post
I just test drove a manual today! I bought an automatic V-6 Premium Coupe back in March, but am considering a trade.

Wow! What a difference, in a weird kind of way! I have been driving manuals all my life until March, and I must be getting lazy! I found the MT82 to be really kind of sticky and tricky! LOL In a manual you have to think and pay attention to your speed and RPMs and let me tell you, I am rusty.

It really gave me more appreciation for my automatic, in that when one of those little snotty Japanese four bangers try to tailgate me in the fast lane, all I have to do is punch it....and I am gone!
Me too! But I have to do it through power shifting

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

| 2012 | Base | Performance White | 3.7 | MT82 | 2.73 | FRPP Sport Axlebacks | BMR lcas on the way
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
1200 miles without a problem? Wow you must be lucky. I've only put 47,000 on mine without a problem........
Well, the car has just over 65k miles....

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page