Who has swapped out their MT82 for the T-56 or Magnum XL - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
I use 1st gear every time from standing. I don't find it useless.

Then again I am minus 12 to 15lbs with an ultra light aluminum flywheel from the weight of the stock flywheel.

I need that umph to get off the line, hence 1st is important to me, whether normal traffic situation or not.

I set up my Shelby to be more track-like and/or taking off quickly from a rolling start as opposed to a standing start drag race style. I went more for the handling and quick acceleration coming out of corners.

Randeez11,
Are you quicker, the same or slightly slower with your Tremec and 3:73s than if you had the MT82 and 3:73s and why?
I am wondering if though the Tremec is taller, maybe one could be quicker with less shifting and being in any particular gear longer, I dunno.

Hence this thread.

I have found that things are not always as they seem. That ultra light flywheel in mine causes less engine braking than when the stock flywheel was in. I would have figured the engine braking would have increased, not decreased. But most everyone that actually has a lighter flywheel agrees there is less engine braking.
That's a brain teaser to me.
I had a billet aluminum flywheel on my mt 82 , and I went with a billet steel flywheel with my tremec and so far i like it better because it carries the energy through the gear changes no more engine braking for me! Even sounds better when I start it..lol

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

My Centerforce was making noise, so I had just put in a new aluminum flywheel with the rest of the RST McLeod clutch, and presto, 20 miles later, the MT82 blew.

Go news is, the new aluminum flywheel is still good to go and can be reused.

And because of that light flywheel, another reason for me to go 4:10s.

Is it true that these XL Magnums have crisper feeling shifts and not that rubbery feel that the Tremec 6060s have?

I mean really, I was in a GT500 once and the throw was so long, it was like New York to California going 1st to 2nd.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

GT Member

The throws are longer but no worry,
i spoke to the folks at mgw they will have a magnum short throw before the end of the year!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!

BOSS Member
S197 Member

My T-56 shifts flawlessly every time. There is only one thing I do not like about it.
The fourth gear is a 1:1 ratio as opposed to a 1:32 in the MT82. When Im going through the gears at WOT, 1st to second, second to third pull great. But going into
4th pulls the rpms down quite a bit as it is only a 1:1 ratio. I would have liked to see Tremec but a little lower gear in forth position. My car is supercharged by the way, but forth gear still pulls the motor down enough to take it out of the power band. Im running 3:73 rear gears.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #80 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I am confused regarding the spacer slave cylinder thing.

A spacer is not coming with the kit.

Does the stock slave cylinder 5.0 have one in place already from the factory? And then if so, delete using it?

Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I am confused regarding the spacer slave cylinder thing.

A spacer is not coming with the kit.

Does the stock slave cylinder 5.0 have one in place already from the factory? And then if so, delete using it?
There was a 1/2 inch spacer behind the slave on my stock MT 82 set up. My new Centerforce clutch did not come with a spacer like some of the older clutches did. ( I ordered a clutch listed for a 2011)So I put the factory spacer in at first. I have since taken it out, so I am using NO spacer with the Tremec.
Yes it is confusing. You will get different answers from different installers as well.
Anyways, mine seems to be working fine without a spacer.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
GT Member

I spoke wit a few guys who kept their 3:73's and or upgraded to 3:73's and they both said their cars seemed slower with those gears! Which is why i went with 3:90's.

PONY Member

$7,000 ish? Ouch! Anyone have a used one for sale? Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 TJIN EDITION
Vortech, M6 & MGW, ALUMINATOR 598/495 on 7psi 91 pump. too much to list...

2012 Chevy Cruze TJIN EDITION
Custom intercooler,magnaflow exhaust, too much to list too!
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjin'stang View Post
$7,000 ish? Ouch! Anyone have a used one for sale? Haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a good used MT82 I can sell you. It has less than 3500 miles on it.

The entire Tremec kit is 4,000 dollars.That includes an aluminum driveshaft. Granted you will need a clutch, but you will need one of them sooner or later with the stock transmission. Sooner if you modify the car. If you have to pay installation labour then yes it adds up.

You wanna play, you have to pay.

post #85 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

In the end, it is probably a good thing you all did yours recently and now me as well.

I bet this conversion will get downright popular over time as the MT82s implode nationwide, and these conversion kits may get backlogged wit long wait times.

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
I spoke wit a few guys who kept their 3:73's and or upgraded to 3:73's and they both said their cars seemed slower with those gears! Which is why i went with 3:90's.
The 3:73's work great for my application in the lower 3 gears. But as I said, in fourth, the revs do come down a bit. If I went to a lower rear gear ratio, I would be right back where I was, with uncontrollable wheelspin in first gear, that ends up blowing my drag radials away, and then struggling to get them to recover. All in all though, I would rather have the Tremec, with the high fourth gear, than have to short shift an MT82.

Banned

Quote:

I bet this conversion will get downright popular over time as the MT82s implode nationwide
I'm waiting for the recall so Ford can install my Tremec for free!

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
I'm waiting for the recall so Ford can install my Tremec for free!

Don't hold your breath.

GT Member

Theyre putting the mt -82 in the new 2015 gt,
ford will not be recalling the mt-82!

post #90 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well, since Ford won't recall the MT82s, some of us here that are switching are doing our own recall and calling out the fact that some of these MT82s don't hold up and aren't worth diddly.

Yeah, OK, I running 400ft/lbs torque here at altitude and 8K miles later... KABOOM.

So much for the XL-18.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page