Who has swapped out their MT82 for the T-56 or Magnum XL - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Who has swapped out their MT82 for the T-56 or Magnum XL

With all these transmission threads, who here has swapped their MT82 out for the Tremec Magnum XL or T-56.

I specifically would like to know your impressions of how the taller geared Tremecs affected your 5.0's quickness factor.

Are you slower, faster or about the same?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

I searched the forum and read some threads but I'm not finding the answers I am looking for.
All I am finding is that some switched out the diff gears to 4:10 at the same time.

I am more interested in the effects of the Tremecs for quickness without swapping out the rear end gearing.
A one for one comparison would be really helpful.

Thanks.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
S197 Member

We have debated this before. if you were stock, I would say leave it alone. In your case, with what you are running, IMO I think the T-56 is the way to go. Again, just my opinion.

May I ask, with your present combination, how is your car performing ?

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #3 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I love it and all, but I am beginning to think I should have planned on needing more power.

I'm at 5,000 feet and suffer a 12% to 15% power loss here at altitude.
The SC is the same way. At sea level it pushes 9 lbs on the gauge, up here 7lbs.
I should have planned for altitude a bit more when building it.

I have the 285s and a Torsen T2 unit. Once in second, it rarely breaks loose. OK, traction is good. No wheel hop either.
The Watts Link is pretty amazing, night and day over the stock panhard thing.

The Eibachs have loosened somewhat the last 6K miles, making the ride much more bearable.
The car rides flat, whether cornering or accelerating, even braking. No more annoying hood up back down thing accelerating. Gosh I don't miss that.

I got the traction and handling correct in my build, but I need more horsepower, I can handle more horsepower.
It's that trap, ya know?

My MT82 quit whining for some odd reason and has really broken in nicely and holding up to the power. Go figure that one. My MT82 as new was awful, now it's pretty good. I switched out the stock fluid for a refill of the same.

The Centerforce Dual Disc clutch is a little noisy when the pedal is on the floor, sounds like a throw out bearing rattling, but it's the clutch, oh well, That said, the pedal effort is holding and it's no different in foot pressure than a stock clutch.

I love everything about my Mustang, but it's all really about the power, isn't it?

I need more, and apparently my appetite for it is insatiable.

But it isn't my fault, and again, it's all bout the horsepower at this point.

Maybe I cannot be happy until I breathe on the accelerator pedal and it spins the tires.
I'm hopeless, drowning in a vast sea of too little horsepower.

I really mean what I post here, sad huh.

Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

PONY Member

Talk to modern driveline

Base Vehicle- Black 2012 3.7L V6 Premium, Pony Package
post #5 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Are they doing the tranny swaps?

Ya know, before I had my build done, I read this forum and scoured the net to educate myself and gather ideas. It was easy to see that Mustang owners mod their cars a lot.

I thought I had learned something and had built everything I would need for the future.

Wrong. Things still feel unfinished, for lack of a better word.

post #7 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Interesting, thanks for the help. Maybe I needed to refine my search words.

Those thread seem very recent.

I guess I will wait for those guys to post their times and other observations once they are done with all those mods.

I am still worried about reducing the quickness I have now.

Hmmm, 4:10s for the diff.

My 3:73s have a bit of whine the old 3:31s did not have.
Do 4:10s whine even more?

PONY Member

Im picking up my car from JPC in MD on Thursday. I just did the swap. Right now, they told me to try it with the 3:31's and adjust from there. Should drive more like the old Fox Body T5 with the 3:08's or 2:73's. They said some like the longer 1st gear with boost. I will likely switch to 4:10's or 3:73's in the future I am guessing.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
post #9 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I'm definitely interested in your observations when you get it back.

I'm reading around here that if you go 4:10s you will kind of match an MT82 with 3:73s.

Best part about what you doing currently is just the transmission swap. Then we all get a good comparison of the immediate changes whether quicker or slower with that taller geared tranny.

Maybe taller with some boost will result in not as much change as I am thinking might be the case when you leave the rear end alone.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfiveo View Post
Im picking up my car from JPC in MD on Thursday. I just did the swap. Right now, they told me to try it with the 3:31's and adjust from there. Should drive more like the old Fox Body T5 with the 3:08's or 2:73's. They said some like the longer 1st gear with boost. I will likely switch to 4:10's or 3:73's in the future I am guessing.
Your 3:31's with the tremec will be equivalent to a 2:67 rear end geared mt-82 if you want to get what you had with the mt-82 and 3:31's you need to change to 4:10's. be ready for your car to be slower for the time being!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
GT Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
I'm definitely interested in your observations when you get it back.

I'm reading around here that if you go 4:10s you will kind of match an MT82 with 3:73s.

Best part about what you doing currently is just the transmission swap. Then we all get a good comparison of the immediate changes whether quicker or slower with that taller geared tranny.

Maybe taller with some boost will result in not as much change as I am thinking might be the case when you leave the rear end alone.
No, to match the mt-82 and 3:73's you will need to get 4:56's with the tremec!

I did all my calculations using this app, using a 27 inch tall tire!

http://xse.com/leres/bin/gearratio?t...le=35&wheel=19

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #12 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Do any of these lower rear ends whine more than the 3:73 do.

Mine don't whine super loud, but there is some especially 45MPH to 60MPH usually upon decel.

Is this just the nature of the beast?

Hey look, I'm a novice at this performance stuff. I just researched first and then had enough cash on hand to have my car built to specs.

But now I see there is so much to learn.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Your 3:31's with the tremec will be equivalent to a 2:67 rear end geared mt-82 if you want to get what you had with the mt-82 and 3:31's you need to change to 4:10's. be ready for your car to be slower for the time being!
I agree I will likely change eventually. It will be cool to see how she is. I liked my old 90 notchback foxbody and never had boost in the car. I was too young and poor lol. Maybe with boost I will be pleasantly surprised. The guys at JPC said it won't be that bad.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have to chuckle sometimes. All Ive read on these forums for a while now is about how the gears in the MT82 are way too short, no first gear, first gear useless, have to start off in second etc etc etc.
Now that Tremec went ahead and offered different ratioed units to address the short first gear problem of the MT82 guys are saying get 4:56 gears, ratios are way too tall , car will slow down etc etc etc.

Isnt the internet just a conglomerate of hilarious entertainment.
By the way, other than wanting a stronger unit, I also wanted a taller first gear. That's why my car now has a
Termec in it.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #15 of 266 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I use 1st gear every time from standing. I don't find it useless.

Then again I am minus 12 to 15lbs with an ultra light aluminum flywheel from the weight of the stock flywheel.

I need that umph to get off the line, hence 1st is important to me, whether normal traffic situation or not.

I set up my Shelby to be more track-like and/or taking off quickly from a rolling start as opposed to a standing start drag race style. I went more for the handling and quick acceleration coming out of corners.

Randeez11,
Are you quicker, the same or slightly slower with your Tremec and 3:73s than if you had the MT82 and 3:73s and why?
I am wondering if though the Tremec is taller, maybe one could be quicker with less shifting and being in any particular gear longer, I dunno.

Hence this thread.

I have found that things are not always as they seem. That ultra light flywheel in mine causes less engine braking than when the stock flywheel was in. I would have figured the engine braking would have increased, not decreased. But most everyone that actually has a lighter flywheel agrees there is less engine braking.
That's a brain teaser to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page