Barton Shifter 13 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

One word, MGW and fifteen characters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Before changing the shifter or any brackets, making it too short of a throw for the clutch action needed, consider the CHE-K member WITH the torque dampers. The torque dampers hold that tranny still for cleaner shifting during high RPM shifts. Since installing that ($179 and about one hour labor), high RPM shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd are never missed (stock clutch) regardless of RPMs and the stock shifter can still be used. Since installing it, every gear goes in fine without grinding due to too-short-for-clutch-foot-action or missing a gate, and under loads, corners, and every which way you toss your ride.

http://www.cheperformance.com/prod-208.htm

This CHE Performance 4 Point K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters for the 2005-Current Ford Mustang will add rigid support for both the front suspension and your driveline, significantly reducing missed shifts caused by the remote mounted shifter on manual transmission cars.
Fits V8 Manual Including the Shelby GT500 . V8 Automatic transmission will need revised installation hardware, please contact us for details.
Click Here for Support and FAQ

• Competiton Kit includes the Competition Engine Torque Limiters featuring Rod Ends in place of the Poly Bushings (increased noise, recommended for competition vehicles only)
Also Available in any of our show quality custom colors (please specify color upon ordering. Custom colors ship in 7 days)For Custom Colors, Please select "Custom Color" in the item box, then specify color choice in the color menu.For Black, Please select "Black" in the item box, then choose "Black (Standard)" in the color menu.
  • See what our customers are saying:
"Your Torque Limiter has eliminated completely ALL vibration and flex of my trany/drive train in the tunnel ..... I can now row through all 5 gears with my foot jammed to the floor !" Read More
  • Fitment Notes: will NOT work with SLP GT V8 long-tube headers, the OBX GT V8 long-tube headers, or the American Racing long tube headers for the GT500
  • 2011 and up requires modification to factory K-Member Please see the instructions for details.

Apprentice

I've had my Barton shifter and bracket in my 2011 for about a year and a half now. Love the shifter, no complaints.
It was the first mod to my car. Worth every penny.

2011 Black GT Premium, Brembo brake pkg, 3.73 gears, 6 speed.
Barton shifter and bracket. Gt 500 axlebacks. Eibach pro springs. Redline tuning hood shocks.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsargent09 View Post
You must be a terrible driver, or got a bad unit.
I'll choose bad unit and just leave it at that. AM told me they are hit or miss with problems. After the return I did hear of some people having to reverse the shift handle. Good luck with yours OP.

'07 Mustang GT Alloy, 5R55S, 4.10, VMP Tune, JLT 3, Cervinis 2.5" Cowl, GT500 Spoiler/AB's, 19" Brembo Wheels, Sportlines, Koni, Hawk Pads, Kicker Audio

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for Godís wrath remains on them.
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
I'll choose bad unit and just leave it at that. AM told me they are hit or miss with problems. After the return I did hear of some people having to reverse the shift handle. Good luck with yours OP.
I bet that's what happened to you. Barton put a note in there. You're supposed to look at and measure the height of the stock reverse lock out and make sure you have the correct size by spinning the shifter.

2013 Performance White Mustang GT 5.0 MT, 3.73s Id1000 Injectors, BAP, Paxton 2200 SL, Barton Short throw shiter + bracket, On3 o/r x pipe
(Sold)2012 Race Red Mustang GT 5.0 MT
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsargent09 View Post
I bet that's what happened to you. Barton put a note in there. You're supposed to look at and measure the height of the stock reverse lock out and make sure you have the correct size by spinning the shifter.
No note, unfortunately. I may call them directly instead of going through AM.

'07 Mustang GT Alloy, 5R55S, 4.10, VMP Tune, JLT 3, Cervinis 2.5" Cowl, GT500 Spoiler/AB's, 19" Brembo Wheels, Sportlines, Koni, Hawk Pads, Kicker Audio

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for Godís wrath remains on them.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I just received my barton shifter and 2 post bracket - the very first thing in the instructions tells you to measure for the rev lockout as some 2013 require some adjustments on the shifter arm prior to install
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
I just received my barton shifter and 2 post bracket - the very first thing in the instructions tells you to measure for the rev lockout as some 2013 require some adjustments on the shifter arm prior to install
That would be the note I'm talking about. I would imagine not doing so would cause all kinds of havoc.

2013 Performance White Mustang GT 5.0 MT, 3.73s Id1000 Injectors, BAP, Paxton 2200 SL, Barton Short throw shiter + bracket, On3 o/r x pipe
(Sold)2012 Race Red Mustang GT 5.0 MT
Apprentice

as for the k-member brace and engine torque limiter... don't do if your stang is a dd... uber nvh and im sure that cudaman will attest to that..... I got the ford rscing shifter which is the same as the barton.. love it
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Installation complete in a little over a hour with no problems - there are actually two settings on the barton shifter one for 11 and 12 and one for 13 - worked perfect - Totally different feel - very solid shifts - I got the two post bracket which is slight overkill but it will last for sure.
Day or two to get used to it and then the real test at the track.

One thing to remember it is a lot more solid, hence takes some more effort to shift - that is a positive for us but if it is just a road car you may not like it.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Glad you're happy. Once again, no mention of it in my instructions. Perhaps it was old inventory (pre 2013). Either way, very disappointed AM rep made no mention of adjustment when I called to return.

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

1st night at track with new shifter - it is great - had the most consistent night ever- all shifts were right on and solid - never a doubt and it really builds confidence - good investment
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
No note, unfortunately. I may call them directly instead of going through AM.
No note in mine that I bought about a month ago either. Also nothing said about it in their website installation video. I finally figured out what was necessary by doing a search on this forum. It is a big improvement however.

Dan

My Ford Garage:
1965 ERA 427 Cobra Street Roadster
2003 Lightning
2017 Shelby GT350
Retired: 2008 Mustang GT; 2012 Mustang GT
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARLightning View Post
No note in mine that I bought about a month ago either. Also nothing said about it in their website installation video. I finally figured out what was necessary by doing a search on this forum. It is a big improvement however. Dan
Glad you posted about the video. I used that too. Another plus is I don't need to defend myself from the "terrible driver" possibility by mentioning my 12 Mustangs, cutting 1.4 60's, trapping in the 150's, treeing Mustang greats like Mike Murillo, appearing in 3 Mustang Mags, blah, blah, blah.

PONY Member

Love my Barton, just push straight up from 2 -> 3 with my palm and never, ever miss a shift. If I try and guide it myself I may miss - let the shifter do it for me and it works every time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page