Barton Shifter 13 GT - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I like my barton allot, had it installed when I was still new to stick. I instantly felt comfortable with it. Noise is a little loud but not bad unless you're going for dead silence.

One important thing is the shifter mount changed in 2013. If you have the new one it wont fit properly, and you wont be able to get in first. The new barton's have a way to adjust to that. Make sure the person installing knows about this.

2013 GT black M/T, 3DCarbon GT500 spoiler, Barton short throw shifter, Barton two post bracket, 18x8 charcoal AMR wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Im frustrated! I bought the Barton two post bracket first for my 2014 GT, the shifter is on the way. I bracket went on easy, very well made and super sturdy! The shifts with the standard shifter are right on! no misses at all.. Ok now the floor board noise! guys how do I get rid of it?? I get the fact that this thing is bolted right to the bottom of the car, I understand the harmonic effect of the trany noise coming up from the bottom. Im still going to beat this!!! where exactly does the dynomat go? under the car in the trany tunnel, or under the carpet by the shifter? I cant be the only one bitching about this!!
Jeff

GT Member
5.0L Member

Put dynamat or black silicone between the bracket and the floor. That might help a bit.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.

Apprentice

Might putting it between the 2 pole bracket and the car not be as sturdy of a mount? I have just the 2 pole mounting bracket and all of my shifting issues were cured. We decided to just go this route because we didn't want the short throw at this time. I can't believe the crap ford uses as a mounting bracket. Soft rubber and zip ties.....
PONY Member

I don't own the Barton, I have an MGW, my shifts are faultless. Looking at it objectively, What I like about the MGW is the whole lower shift box is replaced with a CNC'd unit with stiffer shift rail guides, it is overall a much more precise design, the shifter is adjustable to the left to allow a perfect 1-2 shift, the spring to third tension is adjustable (by removing spring cap) and MGW is super commited to making this shifter as quiet (or quieter than stock) Their twin post bracket is extremely wide to eliminate torsional twist, they enclose dynamat, a thicker additional insulation pad, and a heat shield made of stainless below the shifter, with insulation. All this for $30. more than a Barton, certainly something to consider.

My 1-2 shifts are on the money, 2-3, 3-4 shifts a no brainer, and 4-5 slips in with just slight pressure from the heel of your hand, 6th gear slight pressure to the right, straight in. That shifter is worth every penny, you can see when you install it, MGW people are committed to making the best shifter on the market.

2013 BOSS 302 School Bus Yellow #1121
Apprentice

If the noise Is coming from the shifter, you might want to make sure the lip of shaft is right against the shifter bracket. I had a little too much noise for my liking and I noticed the end of the shaft was just a little off from touching the bracket. All I did was loosen the two bolts on the bracket and moved it so it was touching the lip of the shaft. I also put lock tight on the threads so they would not loosen up. I also put a Dyno mat right underneath the OEM shifter insulation. I used the OEM insulation as a template and cut the Dynomat accordingly.There's videos on YouTube on how to remove the shifter console and it's not hard to do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Mustang GT Prem. Red Candy Tint
19" Nickle painted rims
GT/V6 Pkg 1 ,Comfort Package
Reverse Sens/Sec Pkg
Char/Cashmir Sport Leather Seats
6 Speed Man. 3.31 Rear
Ordered 9/14/12, VIN 9/27/12, Sticker 10/1
Build 10/9, 1st ETA 10/18 2nd ETA 10/22, Deliverly: 10/19
Apprentice

I agree 110% with BOSS MAN but will add if you order the MGW and tell them you are a member here you get 5% discount so the difference in price shrinks that much more. The Factory bushings work but the MGW replaces them with ones that are so much better as you can see in the install video. I think MGW is the only shifter that replaces the factory bushings. I would also add that I had no issues with the factory shifter but that said the MGW was a big improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13 View Post
I don't own the Barton, I have an MGW, my shifts are faultless. Looking at it objectively, What I like about the MGW is the whole lower shift box is replaced with a CNC'd unit with stiffer shift rail guides, it is overall a much more precise design, the shifter is adjustable to the left to allow a perfect 1-2 shift, the spring to third tension is adjustable (by removing spring cap) and MGW is super commited to making this shifter as quiet (or quieter than stock) Their twin post bracket is extremely wide to eliminate torsional twist, they enclose dynamat, a thicker additional insulation pad, and a heat shield made of stainless below the shifter, with insulation. All this for $30. more than a Barton, certainly something to consider.

My 1-2 shifts are on the money, 2-3, 3-4 shifts a no brainer, and 4-5 slips in with just slight pressure from the heel of your hand, 6th gear slight pressure to the right, straight in. That shifter is worth every penny, you can see when you install it, MGW people are committed to making the best shifter on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page