Barton Shifter 13 GT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Barton Shifter 13 GT

Like some input from folks who have installed the Barton Short Throw shifter -

As I become more involved in drag racing I am becoming more and more unsatisfied with the stock shifter - especially at high rpm shifts - too much play etc - and room for error - some of course is driver issues but some is directly related to the stock shifter

It is about a 500 dollar investment with labor

All input both pro and con is welcome

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Barton makes a good piece, the con is their throw is reduced so much that when you try to shift fast it can be moving too fast internally for the trans and cause a missed shift.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
Apprentice

I installed it myself with the two post bracket in a gravel driveway with a jack and two jack stands... no sense in having a shop do it for you. The two post bracket is amazing. It holds the trans in one place with no flex or slop like the factory one. As for the shifter I didnt like it at first with how notchy it was. Car was new and so was the shifter. I assume as time went on the trans or the shifter or both got broke in and feels amazing now. From the center of the shift ball from first to second is about two inches Id say. The second to third is effortless but Im still not much for fourth to fifth. I have never experienced my shift being too fast to go into gear like the above mentioned.

1968 Red Fastback 289, c4, air, power steering
1989 Black GT 306, t-5, e303, 3.73, weight reduction
2013 Sterling Grey Metallic Premium GT, TrackPack, Recaros, Outlaws, JBA OR-X, Barton Shifter, Barton Two Post, JLT Oil Seperator, Airaid CAI.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
GT Member

The Barton is a very nice piece, I have one and absolutely love love love it!

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
Apprentice

I just installed the Barton shifter and 2 post mount and it is much more precise than the stock one. Not sure it would make all that much difference to someone just commuting to and from work but if you get the urge to get a little sporty you should notice a big improvement. If you have a lift or jackstands and a good floor jack it is not a difficult installation project. The only problem I had was that the reverse lockout lug was not set for my 2012 GT and it would not go into reverse. Once I figured out the shift handle had different reverse lockout lugs on both sides and could be rotated 180 degrees by backing out an allen head bolt, everything was fine. I wish I had put a dab of grease on the reverse blocker so that it would kick over into the neutral gate on it's own when pulled out of reverse.

My Ford Garage:
1965 ERA 427 Cobra Street Roadster
2003 Lightning
2017 Shelby GT350
Retired: 2008 Mustang GT; 2012 Mustang GT
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Mine sucked. 1>3 gate was so narrow it was hit or miss every time I shifted to 3rd. Almost caused a wreck so I sent it back to AM. I loved the short throw but wasn't worth the hassle. The bracket was very noisy as well and no better than a ES shift bushing IMO.

'07 Mustang GT Alloy, 5R55S, 4.10, VMP Tune, JLT 3, Cervinis 2.5" Cowl, GT500 Spoiler/AB's, 19" Brembo Wheels, Sportlines, Koni, Hawk Pads, Kicker Audio

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for Godís wrath remains on them.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
Rookie

I love mine. I installed the shifter and bracket in my garage with just a floor jack and jack stands also. My car would hardly go from 2nd to 3rd above 6k with the factory setup, but now it will slide right into 3rd at ANY rpm without any problem. It is a touch noisier, but the extra NVH is well worth the difference in the performance of the shifter.

2013 Black GT, 6spd, Flowmaster American Thunder axle back & resonator delete, Steeda Extreme Sport Springs, Adjustable Rear Pan Hard Bar, Barton Shifter & Two Post Bkt, American Racing 20" Torq Thrust with Nitto NT555's 255/35 & 275/35/20, Tinted Windows
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

OP. The Barton is a fantastic shifter, I changed to a Tremec T56 and really miss the Barton. It is worth every penny IMO.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

really great input - looks like about 90% for the shifter - the one worry was the comment about going into 3rd - wife also races the car and had a issue on a couple of runs of missing 4th and hitting 2nd makes it exciting - she is a great driver and got right out of it but got our attention -
based on what the feedback was a shifter is on the to do list along with a DDS - and after we get a lot better at driving a roush Stage one
Apprentice

I recently installed the barton shifter & two post bracket on my 2013 GT. I'm very pleased with the performance of this shifter. Shifts are alot more crisp compared to the OEM shifter and bracket. There is a slight thunk from the shifter while changing gears. Personally I like this because this confirms that I'm in the gear I shifted to. Noise coming from the transmission is negligible. Mostly if you put slight pressure on the shifter knob while in gear. If you're not looking for the noise or if you have the radio on, you won't notice it. Overall I'm pleased with the new shifter & bracket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Mustang GT Prem. Red Candy Tint
19" Nickle painted rims
GT/V6 Pkg 1 ,Comfort Package
Reverse Sens/Sec Pkg
Char/Cashmir Sport Leather Seats
6 Speed Man. 3.31 Rear
Ordered 9/14/12, VIN 9/27/12, Sticker 10/1
Build 10/9, 1st ETA 10/18 2nd ETA 10/22, Deliverly: 10/19
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
Mine sucked. 1>3 gate was so narrow it was hit or miss every time I shifted to 3rd. Almost caused a wreck so I sent it back to AM. I loved the short throw but wasn't worth the hassle. The bracket was very noisy as well and no better than a ES shift bushing IMO.
You must be a terrible driver, or got a bad unit.

This shifter + bracket combo cleaned my shifts up so much that I recommend this to everyone as a first mod if they ask.

This was by far my favorite mod, I would honestly put it over my supercharger. It gives you piece of mind, and confidence in your shifts.

I also agree that you should install it yourself unless you are either very uncoordinated, never turned a wrench in your life, or so rich that you dont mind wasting money. The install took me about 1 1/2 hours, and I did it in the driveway on ramps.

2013 Performance White Mustang GT 5.0 MT, 3.73s Id1000 Injectors, BAP, Paxton 2200 SL, Barton Short throw shiter + bracket, On3 o/r x pipe
(Sold)2012 Race Red Mustang GT 5.0 MT
Rookie

I think this came from the factory on my 2014 and I love it, had read about manual trans shift issues before I bought the car but the Barton solves them! Love the short throw and solid feel!

2014 GT Premium with GT Brake Performance Pkg, sound tube delete, JLT catch can, GT500 axlebacks, Procal tune
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsargent09 View Post
You must be a terrible driver, or got a bad unit.

This shifter + bracket combo cleaned my shifts up so much that I recommend this to everyone as a first mod if they ask.

This was by far my favorite mod, I would honestly put it over my supercharger. It gives you piece of mind, and confidence in your shifts.

I also agree that you should install it yourself unless you are either very uncoordinated, never turned a wrench in your life, or so rich that you dont mind wasting money. The install took me about 1 1/2 hours, and I did it in the driveway on ramps.
thats what I was thinking but took the high road lol, due to the dual pivot trunion, the Barton side to side throw is not greatly reduced like the Hurst or Steeda units which both use a single pivot.

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm located in NY so I drove down to the Barton shop and Dave installed it for free for me. Great unit, incredible improvement over the stock piece. I will say that it did take some getting used to but once you adjust to it, it's great.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

thanks again for the input - as for installing it myself - no thank you--I would be in reverse going down the track

if you want anything done with regards to electronics I am the man - leave the gearhead stuff up to the gearheads - Just let me drive - I will pay to have it done right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page