Shifter and Bracket - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Shifter and Bracket

This question is for those of you that have just upgraded your shifter bracket and kept the stock shifter. Are you happy with this setup or if you were to do again would you replace both? Thanks for the wiley.gif

2012 GT 5.0 Ingot Silver 6M,401A, RR sensing sys/security pkg.,19" painted alum wheels,GT coupe accessory Pkg 5, Ford Racing SVT Sport axle-back mufflers w/o resonators, MGW shifter, Airaid cai/Steeda 93 tune, Boss quad exhaust.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
PONY Member

I have the JHR bracket with the factory shifter & the difference was good enough for me. Better than the feel of the stock bracket!

I checked out the barton shifter at the All Ford Nationals in Carlisle & it felt really nice. However that was in a stationary Mustang not a road test.

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]GT Premium Manual-Kona Blue[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]401A Int.-Char/Blk/W/Cashmere[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Security Pkg.-3.73 Ltd Slip [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=navy]Access Pkg #4 Hood Scoop N Ped Spoiler[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
PONY Member

I have the Barton shifter and bracket installed and it's a world of difference over the stock setup. That being said, most of the brackets are also huge improvements over the stock bracket and I think most people would see/feel quite a difference with it alone, should their budget not allow both at one shot.

'14 V6 Prem. 6 speed Perf. Pkg. Oxford White/Saddle
Mods in profile

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

I installed a barton bracket with the stock shifter. Ran this setup for about 6 months. Wasn't too bad, but still had the 2-3 shift problem at the track. But it was a definite improvement over the stock bracket. I ended up installing a barton shifter a couple of months ago. Love it. Very short throws. I have the black barton ball shift knob. It really "makes" the interior, as it is the focal point of the interior. Do just the bracket, but I think after that you will want a shifter though. Have a good one!

2013 GT premium, Deep impact blue, Recaros, Manual, 3.73, Gt500 mufflers, Barton shifter, Steeda 91 tune, Pilot Sport A/S 3
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I had the Barton shifter and bracket for 2 years. I started with the standard bracket them went to the 2 post. The 2 post gives a much more positive click in feel. The shifter gives a great short throw. im sure the bracket alone will help. But if you have the coin, do both. The shifter is easy to install and is well worth it.
When / if you do change the bracket, be very careful tightening the mounting nuts on the studs, they are small and easy to break.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Barton 2 post with stock shifter, its nice. really helps with shifter feel. May eventually switch to a short throw but dont see it as being necessary.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013
Banned

Barton Two Post and Steeda short thow. I didn't want too short of a throw and the Steeda Tri Ax fit the bill nicely.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013
PONY Member

I went with the Steeda Shifter Base Bushing/Bracket...:
Steeda Mustang Shifter Base Bushing (11-14 GT;V6) 555-7090

Thoroughly am enjoying the shifts now with the stock shifter...using the black bushing...definitely worth the upgrade...would like to add a shorter shifter one day.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post
I went with the Steeda Shifter Base Bushing/Bracket...:
Steeda Mustang Shifter Base Bushing (11-14 GT;V6) 555-7090

Thoroughly am enjoying the shifts now with the stock shifter...using the black bushing...definitely worth the upgrade...would like to add a shorter shifter one day.
Good to know....I ordered the Steeda as well and plan to use it with the stock shifter. I haven't decided which bushing I'm going to use yet, I guess I'll try both then make the decision.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

When I had the 2012 Brembo GT, purchased in 2011, I replaced the stock bushing with the red Steeda bushing. This was a nice improvement over stock. I then bought and installed the Steeda TriAx shifter a few months later. This was even better. With this combination along with manually disabling skip shift, the car was much more user friendly. I'm sure any aftermarket setup is better than stock. I drove it for 15,000 miles before trading it for my current car. Whoever bought it got the luxury of buying a Mustang that was already "fixed" as far as shifting goes.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I started with the JHR bracket and the OEM shifter and was good with that...till I scored a used MGW. If you are willing to spend the $ it is worth it. If I had to replace it I would do the MGW again with zero hesitation.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I started with the JHR bracket and the OEM shifter and was good with that...till I scored a used MGW. If you are willing to spend the $ it is worth it. If I had to replace it I would do the MGW again with zero hesitation.
Same thing I did. Installed the SR shifter and Steeda bracket, only to replace it with the MGW 5 months later. If you do not plan on any tracking or aggressive driving, a Barton two post with a tri-ax is an OK setup. But the only real solution is the MGW hands down.

2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black - Brembo/3:73/Security Pkg
GT500 Axle-backs/Spoiler, Resonator Delete, Boss Valance/Splitter, K-Springs,Saleen Grille, CJ Intake Manifold, FRPP CAI, FRPP Exhaust Cams, Mid Length Headers, AED Tune
2001 Mustang GT "BULLITT" #3309 DHG - Gone but not forgotten...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page